Are my ears gonna hurt real bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing wrong with buying used gear as long as you know what it is you are buying. Just about all my gear is secondhand. My doubles rig with manifold, regs, computer,suit, fins etc cost me less than a basic combo set with no computer new.
Ebay or the like is great but only if you know the value of stuff before hand. And I would recommend a new suit.

BiggDawg:
I wouldn't recommend trying this at home, alone.:no

Over blowing can injure your ears, too. Make sure that the first time(s) you try this, you are with some one who knows what to do.
[/COLOR]

Not true. watch this video and it will explain everything you want to know about your ears and equalizing. My ENT told me to practice above water, as i had a very hard time equalizing when i first got into diving. He told me to practice equalizing a few times each day. By doing this i am able to equalize now very easily.

http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=789

ValiantLlamma:
Speaking of cost, to put it lightly, i am cheap. i like to work and make money, but then i don't ever spend it. especially if it's not something i really need, like a bike:D . Since i check this board at least 20 times a day, and i haven't ever even dove, i think that i will end up really liking scuba. BUT... in case i do not, i wanna stick to decimals instead of commas in the bill. What say everyone to used equip? I know that if i do go that route, i would need to have it inspected, but other than that, yay or nay?? And, yes, i will wait to buy that stuff until after certification and stuff, when i have a better idea of whether or not i will stick with it. i'll just rent or whatever for class. and the new snorkel, goggles and fins are footable. (get it, fin, footable?!?! HAHAHAHA) i'm talking used tanks, regulators, suits (kinda gross if you actually think about it, but i try not to) anyways, thoughts?

Well, you never want to skimp on equipment. That stuff is your life support, and you want it to be as good as you can get. That doesn't mean that you need to get a gold-plated reg, but you should get one that is a well-known brand that has been proven to work well. And you will also need to get your gear serviced regularly.

This sport isn't cheap..

BiggDawg:
I wouldn't recommend trying this at home, alone.

Over blowing can injure your ears, too. Make sure that the first time(s) you try this, you are with some one who knows what to do.
Okay, let's re-phrase that:
"Over blowing can injure your ears, too. Make sure that the first time(s) you try this, you are with some one who knows what to do, or are watching a video that tells what to do.
Is that better?:eyebrow:

scubaaaronh:
Not true. watch this video and it will explain everything you want to know about your ears and equalizing. My ENT told me to practice above water, as i had a very hard time equalizing when i first got into diving. He told me to practice equalizing a few times each day. By doing this i am able to equalize now very easily.

http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=789
Wow, if it takes a 55 minute lecture to explain how to do this, it really must be difficult. :D

Better go watch it again, scubaaaronh. Even the good doctor in your video says not to blow too hard or you can injure your ear (thanks for the backup source, though I didn't really think it was necessary... :D ).
In fact, that's why, he says, he prefers to teach several techniques. Some are easier, some are safer.

I prefer the Luftwaffe technique, myself, though I didn't know that's what it was called until I watched the video.:coffee:

I prefer to equalize by swallowing, or by mimicking the beginning of a yawn (which is how I equalize my ears on a plane).

BiggDawg:
Okay, let's re-phrase that:
"Over blowing can injure your ears, too. Make sure that the first time(s) you try this, you are with some one who knows what to do, or are watching a video that tells what to do.
Is that better?:eyebrow:

Wow, if it takes a 55 minute lecture to explain how to do this, it really must be difficult. :D

Better go watch it again, scubaaaronh. Even the good doctor in your video says not to blow too hard or you can injure your ear (thanks for the backup source, though I didn't really think it was necessary... :D ).
In fact, that's why, he says, he prefers to teach several techniques. Some are easier, some are safer.

I prefer the Luftwaffe technique, myself, though I didn't know that's what it was called until I watched the video.:coffee:

Ahhh never mind it aint worth the time. Im not going to argue with you about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom