Are Northwest Dive Club forums still active?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For Deception Pass, you use.......(drum roll) Deception Pass. It's one of the main current harmonic stations. No correction factor needed. The trick is not the station, It's knowing how large an exchange is reasonable there. Some of the other sites it's knowing the current size, the correction factors, and the terrain (Day Island, Skyline, Sunrise).
Those latter are ones I've found to be way off the few times I checked planyourdive. Not good on current intensive sites.

FWIW I'm leading dives at Deception on 4/8 and 4/9 if you are available. I'll probably add others in March and maybe some later on. I like to start hitting Skyline in the spring too. It has completely different exchanges to deal with. It's a weird spot to predict.

Yeah, Edmonds mostly is a long swim. Some sites are just fine on low tides....like 3-Tree, but not a lot.

Good to know I should avoid low tides! I've been focused on current, so wasn't thinking much about implications of tide height. But yeah, having seen what is under Cove 2, I can get behind not trying to walk over that in scuba gear :)

Does this advice apply to all low tides, or only the springs?

I learned to use tide tables when sailing in England, which was incredibly simple compared to Puget Sound. Experienced sailors rarely bothered with the tables, because a single sentence such as "it's neaps - high at 3:30" was enough to go on for many days. Perfectly sinusoidal exchanges spaced exactly 6:15 apart, with ranges changing steadily over a period of weeks. Only two possible current directions, and tides remained the same for hundreds of miles in any direction. The exchanges were big, so tracking them was important, but it was so easy to figure out.

I'm shocked every time I look at a Puget Sound tide chart. Didn't know some of those shapes were even possible :)

Good to know I should avoid low tides! I've been focused on current, so wasn't thinking much about implications of tide height. But yeah, having seen what is under Cove 2, I can get behind not trying to walk over that in scuba gear :)

Does this advice apply to all low tides, or only the springs?

I learned to use tide tables when sailing in England, which was incredibly simple compared to Puget Sound. Experienced sailors rarely bothered with the tables, because a single sentence such as "it's neaps - high at 3:30" was enough to go on for many days. Perfectly sinusoidal exchanges spaced exactly 6:15 apart, with ranges changing steadily over a period of weeks. Only two possible current directions, and tides remained the same for hundreds of miles in any direction. The exchanges were big, so tracking them was important, but it was so easy to figure out.

I'm shocked every time I look at a Puget Sound tide chart. Didn't know some of those shapes were even possible :)
I would suggest for now to not dive Cove 2 when the tide is below a 5. That isn't the danger point, but gives you a bit of margin.

I hope I'm not violating etiquette in asking about one scuba forum on another, but figured many of the same people are likely to hang out in both places...

I'm trying to sign up for an account on the Northwest Dive Club - Homepage forums. I got an automated email saying my account needed to be approved by an administrator, but haven't heard anything more in a couple of weeks. Without an account I have no way to post there, and the site does not appear to provide any side channel to get in touch with the admins.

So I'm hoping someone here will know if that site is still running?

Thanks!
Did your account end up getting activated? I am in the same situation and couldn't find any ways to Contact Administrators or MODs.

I did get activated in the end - it took about 3 weeks if I recall.
How is the diving going?

I did get activated in the end - it took about 3 weeks if I recall.
Could you kindly do me a favor? I am very interested in the used gears that a guy posted in that website. Would you mind pm him my contact info through that website?

Great for a while, then we got put off by too much summer algae :) We're now planning a trip to Tuscany and researching dive options there.
I was surprised how much improved the viz has been the last couple of weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom