Are Snorkels required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yay, another snorkel thread!!! It’s already been a month or two since the last one. Time for another!

Joking aside. No, there are no snorkel rules outside of a few very localized exceptions (none being on dive boats that I'm aware of). Some use them and some don’t. Some carry them in a pocket and some not at all. I’ve not carried a snorkel while diving in over 600 dives. Others have one on every dive. To each their own.

I would have simply told the instructor that if they feel one is required on every dive, than by all means THEY should bring one on every dive. Then I would have walked away.

Wait what? There’s a snorkel law? Who enforces this, the scuba police?

I might just have to go down there to deliberately get a ticket so I can frame it and hang it on my wall!

The real funny this is my dive buddy as a NAPD Patch on his wetsuit. Someone on the Boat, either the Instructor or the DM actually pointed at it and said, see Scuba Police. I about died, I had forgotten that had happened.

From Laguna Beach Diving Ordinances and Lifeguard/Diver Relations - California Diving News

The ordinance has been in place since 1962 and is enforced on a year ’round basis by the City of Laguna Beach lifeguards. Beyond enforcement of the diving ordinance and all of the other issues the city requires of the Marine Safety Department in managing the beaches. The full time lifeguard staff is empowered with citation powers given to them by the State of California Department of Fish and Game.

This
is good Information, should of expected Cali to have a rule on it. Thank You... I use to Visit Laguna All the time as a Teenager, though I lived closer to Huntington City Beach.

Yay, another snorkel thread!!! It’s already been a month or two since the last one. Time for another!

Joking aside. No, there are no snorkel rules. Some use them and some don’t. Some carry them in a pocket and some not at all. I’ve not carried a snorkel while diving in over 600 dives. Others have one on every dive. To each their own.

I would have simply told the instructor that if they feel one is required on every dive, than by all means THEY should bring one on every dive. Then I would have walked away.

No I get all this. Not meaning to add another Snorkel thread, but I am not a captain, so I prefer not to comment on something I am not 100% sure of. This was just the first Time I had ever heard of an instructor being so adamant about a freaking snorkel. So I got curious

No I get all this. Not meaning to add another Snorkel thread, but I am not a captain, so I prefer not to comment on something I am not 100% sure of.

I get it. I was being unduly sarcastic. There is no Coast Guard or FWC rule here in FL. I've NEVER had anyone crewing a boat (captain, mate, divemaster) ask me where my snorkel was. EVER. Not in FL, not anywhere. If asked I'd say it is back home with my snorkeling gear.

Unless you require me to wear one for a class, I haven’t worn one since OW. Hate them with a passion. My local diving conditions don’t really require them. Cave and tech with a snorkel? Haha. Nope! :D

The only thing required is a face mask, as demonstrated by this guy:

Everything else is optional.
How foolish you would feel telling him you need this or you need that.

I get it. I was being unduly sarcastic. There is no Coast Guard or FWC rule here in FL. I've NEVER had anyone crewing a boat (captain, mate, divemaster) ask me where my snorkel was. EVER. Not in FL, not anywhere. If asked I'd say it is back home with my snorkeling gear.

lol.. A Jupiter Dive Boat made us wear them around 2011 or 2012 I believe. So I stopped diving Jupiter.

Yeah we need another one. But wait, there has only been one post so far regarding reasons to wear or not to wear one, which wasn't the question.
My suspicion has been confirmed that California seems to have rules other places don't-- they must think they're Quebec, or France.

Back
Top Bottom