Are Suunto Zoops super conservative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read those other threads.

I have also seen the post where a certain poster claims the graph (a previous version with a typo) as his own work.

Its a single dive profile showing NDLs. I can't help it if some readers are too thick (or pretend to be) to understand a fairly simple single dive NDL graph. :banghead:

Actually, it is the displayed NDLs during an (unspecified) dive. That is the problem with it: it is not reproducible without knowing what the dive is, and even then you can't reproduce it without doing the dive. It is not just using planning mode for various depths and writing down the NDL times.

Actually, it is the displayed NDLs during an (unspecified) dive. That is the problem with it: it is not reproducible without knowing what the dive is, and even then you can't reproduce it without doing the dive. It is not just using planning mode for various depths and writing down the NDL times.

This type of comparison is generally done using a pressure pot with all the DC's lined up facing the window.

This type of comparison is generally done using a pressure pot with all the DC's lined up facing the window.
Right, but they still need to say what the "dive" is, otherwise it is just imaginary data.

With that said, I've always followed my Suunto, planned my dives accordingly, never felt that I was unfairly limited... and I'm closing in on 1000 dives in 8 years with zero incidence of DCS. So there's that.

The most recent BSAC Diving incident report 2017, page 4 says :
  1. Decompression incidents

The BSAC database contains 56 reports of ‘DCI’ incidents in the 2017 incident year, some of which involved more than one casualty. An analysis of the causal factors associated with the 56 incidents reported in 2017 indicates the following major features:-

45% involved diving to deeper than 30m
    41% were within the limits of tables or computers
    41% involved repeat diving
    11% involved rapid ascents
    7% involved missed decompression stops

Some cases involved more than one of these factors.
    Given that 41% of DCI cases arose from dives reported to be within decompression limits, divers should be alert for DCI symptoms arising from any dive.

Aggregated statistics and reports such as this are useful but rare. DAN Europe does something similar. I'm not aware of anything like this in the USA (Lawyers ?).

BSAC does not publish details of the DC involved . I understand that every year hundreds of thousands of incident free dives will be done on all brands of DC. But at the margins, which DC brands are involved in those DCI incidents?

Right, but they still need to say what the "dive" is, otherwise it is just imaginary data.

I don't think its as difficult as you imagine. The elapsed dive time is on the X-axis. Within a minute or so of the depth at the previous marked point, it should be possible to reproduce a similar dive profile.

"But there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see."

I don't think its as difficult as you imagine. The elapsed dive time is on the X-axis. Within a minute or so of the depth at the previous marked point, it should be possible to reproduce a similar dive profile.

"But there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see."

I suppose so. Why would I do that?
Why did they not just use planning modes on the various computers to make their point?
In any case, the point is not really made on one dive, either in planning mode or in the more complicated way they have used; the point is really about repetitive dives....THAT is when the differences show up.

Why did they not just use planning modes on the various computers to make their point?
In any case, the point is not really made on one dive, either in planning mode or in the more complicated way they have used; the point is really about repetitive dives....THAT is when the differences show up.

It seems you are both intellectually stubborn and lazy. The graph illustrates what they need to demonstrate. I see nothing deficient in their graph.

I found the graph useful in that it made me choose NOT to use their DCs.

It seems you are both intellectually stubborn and lazy. The graph illustrates what they need to demonstrate. I see nothing deficient in their graph.

I found the graph useful in that it made me choose NOT to use their DCs.

Thank you for the arrogant analysis.

Because you cannot reproduce multi-level dive profiles in planning mode

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom