Are Suunto Zoops super conservative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto dive computers are widely accepted as conservative. No sense in debating it. They are more conservative compared to other dive computers.

If you are doing 2 easy recreational dives a day or less, the conservatism will most likely not bother you.

If you are doing more than 2 a day or diving close to the NDL that the Suunto is displaying, you can expect to notice the conservatism and it may impact your diving.

Since then NEDU has proven scientifically that Buhlmann is the best bet for technical divers.

How did they do that while testing VVal-18 Thalmann against BVM(3)? http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA561618

Meanwhile nobody actually dives actual Buhlmann (i.e. 100/100 GF) and you cannot select those m values on SB's favourite computer. You can however adjust that computer to give the deep stops NEDU concluded were a bad thing...

Suunto dive computers are widely accepted as conservative. No sense in debating it. They are more conservative compared to other dive computers.

I think scubalabs may disagree, as I recall they managed to get a cressi leonardo show less ndl than a zoop. I suspect every computer is more conservative if you try hard enough. I'm yet put my leonardo into deco, even without my buddies' computers showing 15 minutes of ndl... go figure.

I think scubalabs may disagree, as I recall they managed to get a cressi leonardo show less ndl than a zoop. I suspect every computer is more conservative if you try hard enough. I'm yet put my leonardo into deco, even without my buddies' computers showing 15 minutes of ndl... go figure.
I recall a thorough review of many different dive computers comparing their NDL over 1, 2,3,4 consecutive recreational dives.

Not sure if this is the same article you are referring to. The article I read, showed 1 computers were more conservative as the Suunto during dives 1 and 2. During dives 1 and 2, the NDL were relatively comparable among most. During dives 3 and 4, the Suunto had much more conservative NDL than most. I don't remember if their was another computer that was similar in conservatism on dives 3 and 4.

I never said the Suunto is more conservative than any other computer in the world. It is accepted as being more conservative in comparison to most other computers. I will take your word the Leonardo has conservatism similar to Suunto.

I happily dove a Suunto for many years. However, it did affect my diving on liveaboards when doing 4-5 dives a day. NDL times making big jumps when depth changes a few feet is annoying. I decided my Suunto served me well after 400+ dives and bought a computer that allowed adjusting to less conservatism than the Suunto.

I recall a thorough review of many different dive computers comparing their NDL over 1, 2,3,4 consecutive recreational dives.

Not sure if this is the same article you are referring to. The article I read, showed 1 computers were more conservative as the Suunto during dives 1 and 2. During dives 1 and 2, the NDL were relatively comparable among most. During dives 3 and 4, the Suunto had much more conservative NDL than most. I don't remember if their was another computer that was similar in conservatism on dives 3 and 4.

I never said the Suunto is more conservative than any other computer in the world. It is accepted as being more conservative in comparison to most other computers. I will take your word the Leonardo has conservatism similar to Suunto.

I happily dove a Suunto for many years. However, it did affect my diving on liveaboards when doing 4-5 dives a day. NDL times making big jumps when depth changes a few feet is annoying. I decided my Suunto served me well after 400+ dives and bought a computer that allowed adjusting to less conservatism than the Suunto.

Here you go http://ads.bonniercorp.com/scuba/PDF/ScubaLab-Computer-Test-September-2014-data.pdf Looking at repetitive dives is more useful than simply looking at 1st dive, clean, NDLs. This simulation of 4 dives separates the computers out into 3 loose groups, conservative, middle of the road, and liberal. Draw your own conclusions.

Just make sure you always dive those 4 profiles, otherwise you may get very different results...

Little late to this post but I had the same problem with the Zoop. Sold it and bought the Oceanic Geo2. Problem solved.

Just make sure you always dive those 4 profiles, otherwise you may get very different results...
BS. Any 4 dive rec profiles will show the same trend. Sometimes I think they chose the profiles to prevent Cressi from going into deco, it was very close.

Faulty generalization:

Conceptual/Evidential Fallacy

Definition:
When a conclusion based on induction is unwarranted by the degree of relevant evidence or ignores information that warrants an exception. He and his 4 brothers are bald, so his sister must also be bald.

Notes:
This fallacy is common where there is a phase transition or physical threshold, or where there is something other than a linear relationship between elements.

HTH, HAND

Back
Top Bottom