Are there alligators in springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it is entirely possible that you could see an alligator while diving in Florida springs. I have seen them at Peacock Springs and Alexander Springs. I know that they removed the gators from Alexander not to long ago, and I beleive that the same has occurred at Peacock as well.

Generally, they are not aggressive, and will leave you alone if you do the same. However, as others have said, that is not neccesarily true during mating season.

At least in a decent spring, you have a chance at seeing them from a ways off. Try to grab one though and you see how fast those guys can move. Don't go trying to grab any gator if they're over 8' though - leave that to the experts, adrenalin junkies, women named named Eileen, and men named Bob or Stu.

At least in a decent spring, you have a chance at seeing them from a ways off. Try to grab one though and you see how fast those guys can move. Don't go trying to grab any gator if they're over 8' though - leave that to the experts, adrenalin junkies, women named named Eileen, and men named Bob or Stu.

8' is not that large. Heck... I'm 6'2". :D

8' is not that large. Heck... I'm 6'2". :D
Of your 6'2", how big is your mouth???? Of their 8', at least 18" to 2' is all teeth :wink:

As for the gators being cold blooded - they hang out on the banks and go for a dip every now and then. They dont hang around in the water all day.

Thank you all for the insight. I will just need to keep a better eye out then.

Its not the gators you got to worry about....its those 30ft Burmese Pythons.

Naw there is no gators,

This was the day with Ber Rabbit
ScubaBoard Gallery - Diving with Ber and Crew - Powered by PhotoPost

If you live and dive in Florida, its just a fact of life. you go swimming around here, you swim with gators. Dont worry though, they are kinda like sharks. They stay away from ya unless they are REAL HUNGRY or REAL CURIOUS then they will come in and bump ya, may take a little nibble just to see whats what. But unlike sharks, GATORS LIKE THE TASTE!!! I here we taste like chicken to them!! HAHA JK

Seriously though, just give me a wide berth and they most likely will do the same. I have seen gators on at least half my spring dive trips. Blue Spring, Alexander, Troy, etc. etc. They seem to always be around. Even had on swim RIGHT over my head at Alexander once. Never even looked at me but whenmy bubbles came up RIGHT under him(purged my regs under as he was swimming over) he shot away VERY FAST!! Didnt realize how fast they could swim!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom