Are there any diving specific accident publications with stats, case-studies, and best practices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RayJayJr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does DAN, or any other recognized body regularly publish anything analogous to the American Alpine Club's (ACC): 'Accidents in North American Mountaineering'? Amazon Link

For those who aren't familiar: The book I'm referring to is a yearly publishing of statistical data, accident analysis by industry professionals, case studies (including narratives), revised best practices, etc. regarding accidents that took place the year previous in North America.

This publishing is considered to be the gold standard for mountain safety, and is highly regarding as essential reading for mountain professionals. The Canadian Avalanche Association offers similar materials specific to avalanche near-misses and fatalities.

I see that DAN has an "Incidents" section, but it's devoid of anything remarkable - am I looking in the wrong spot, or is there another organization with publicly resources like this that I'm unaware of?

Thanks for the hints!

Thanks Cuzza. This is what I was looking for.

Does anyone know if DAN is the only org that does this?

I know that the certification agencies require reports of accidents involving their diving professionals. No idea if that is posted anywhere.

The above link refers to the DAN organisation that serves Canada and the United States (sometimes called DAN America) - DAN Asia Pacific has a report for the years 1999-2002 which is only available to members - please refer DAN Divers Alert Network Asia-Pacific : Accident Reporting. A program of accident reporting known as Project Stickybeak operated from the 1970s in Australia up until DAN AP started its own accident reporting scheme in 2003 - hardcopies of these reports are available in particular Australian libraries. Some annual reports for Project Stickybeak were published in the SPUMS Journal which may be available from the Rubicon Research Repository - please refer Rubicon Research Repository

The DAN Southern Africa website has reports for the years 2007-16. On examination, these are actually the reports for the entire planet and can be downloaded without any restriction from Divers Alert Network South Africa - Annual Diving Report.

Last edited:
The above link refers to the DAN organisation that serves Canada and the United States (sometimes called DAN America) - DAN Asia Pacific has a report for the years 1999-2002 which is only available to members - please refer DAN Divers Alert Network Asia-Pacific : Accident Reporting. A program of accident reporting known as Project Stickybeak operated from the 1970s in Australia up until DAN AP started its own accident reporting scheme in 2003 - hardcopies of these reports are available in particular Australian libraries. Some annual reports for Project Stickybeak were published in the SPUMS Journal which may be available from the Rubicon Research Repository - please refer Rubicon Research Repository

The DAN Southern Africa website has reports for the years 2007-16. On examination, these are actually the reports for the entire planet and can be downloaded without any restriction from Divers Alert Network South Africa - Annual Diving Report.

That DAN South Africa link you posted has the exact same reports as DAN North America, just as an FYI (well at least the 2016 one is the same). Same info, just one is members only and one isn't. Not a critique by any means, just an FYI. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom