Are these old tanks any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryebrye

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
These look like two AL80's - but look like they might be old and possibly bad-alloy:

Scuba Eq

If they aren't bad alloy, $50 a tank would be an ok deal (the local shop charges $50 for hydro) - but those valves also don't look very modern and I'd probably want to replace them with a din / yoke convertible valve - so that'd be another $45-$50 / tank (assuming that the threads match modern valves - which seems like a safe assumption?)

I sent the guy a message asking for better pics of the markings on them so I can see what they are. But figured I'd ask the "experts" here who might be able to tell just from looking at them :)

EDIT: zooming in, the yellow one appears to be an S-60 - maybe the other one is also a steel tank? If they were stored with air in them, $100 might be an ok deal... if there isn't rust under the boot :/

S 60 is a Luxfer Aluminum Tank. You need the dates to determine whether old alloy or not but being Dacor I suspect that they are.

These look like two AL80's - but look like they might be old and possibly bad-alloy:

Scuba Eq

If they aren't bad alloy, $50 a tank would be an ok deal (the local shop charges $50 for hydro) - but those valves also don't look very modern and I'd probably want to replace them with a din / yoke convertible valve - so that'd be another $45-$50 / tank (assuming that the threads match modern valves - which seems like a safe assumption?)

I sent the guy a message asking for better pics of the markings on them so I can see what they are. But figured I'd ask the "experts" here who might be able to tell just from looking at them :)

EDIT: zooming in, the yellow one appears to be an S-60 - maybe the other one is also a steel tank? If they were stored with air in them, $100 might be an ok deal... if there isn't rust under the boot :/
Cost to hydro and visual a tank can be $67. What to do if it fails hydro? Add in cost of valve if you replace them can be another $60. Not a good deal. We at times sell used tanks with fresh hydro visual filled for $105. May be a good deal for $20

My advice is to find used tanks that are in hydro and viz to purchase, preferably from a dive shop, until you have more knowledge and experience. It is quite easy to get a bad deal from what I have seen online. Some sellers have no idea what they are selling, and others act that way while misrepresenting their product.

As far as Al tanks, for cold water where I dive, they are more of a pita than they are worth and I won't touch an old one unless they are given to me. If you haven't done it yet, let all your relatives and friends know you are a diver looking for tanks, sometimes folks have an old tank and/or gear that is a leftover from someone in the family that gave up diving and they may want to give it to a diver they know, rather than toss it out sometime in the future.

Good luck

They look like the same height and diameter so its a safe assumption they are both aluminum. The S60 was made into the 1990s so in theory it could be modern aluminum. Get better pics to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom