Are you a Dive Hypocrite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's define the difference between "gluttony" and "obesity". I am accepting of the fact that SOME people are genetically predisposed. SOME, not ALL. There are plenty of obese people out there that don't fall into that category though. Some of it is, in fact, a lifestyle choice and nothing more.

Obesity is caused by people eating more calories than they need.

Minutia about whether it's calories or something more esoteric aside, at the end of the day you have to eat to gain weight. Agreed. But all else being equal (same diet, same exercise), some people are genetically pre-disposed to storing more fat that others.

I know people my age who have activity levels about on par with mine who can eat a large pizza every night and not gain any weight. I know other people who would balloon up with that type of diet. Fat retention appears to be linked to the 'FTO gene.'

Many parameters play into ones metabolism. Among those are overall muscle mass. Some people have a much harder time building muscle than others (women vs. men as a general rule, for example), and thus have a proportionally harder time boosting their metabolism.

If we're talking someone who weighs a couple hundred pounds, diets, exercises, and simply can't lose it, I feel for them. If we're talking someone like this, I have zero sympathy and would argue that her medical expenses should be entirely her responsibility.

And those on the lower end of the economic scale are least likely to be able to afford nutritious food. The cheapest and most plentiful foods are simple carbohydrates.

They are double ended sword, they are cheaper but they are also processed faster and soon after eating them the person feels hanger again. But unless the person does a lot of work to consume the energy it is deposited as fat, and teh more ones eat them the more obese SHe becomes and SHe always hungry

Ah yes, personal freedom. I knew the "fat discussion" had to be on-topic. :wink:

Ah yes, personal freedom. I knew the "fat discussion" had to be on-topic. :wink:

It's no more off topic ('are you a dive hypocrite') than your original post :p

I agree with everyone here on everything. And ask non-Quebecer Canadians their opinions in general on Quebec.... The only dive regulation that stands out in my mind is prohibiting diving in areas of dangerously high boat traffic and requiring dive flags in some places. These are good laws, and hopefully will remain the only ones. Other "risky" diving will only affect the diver (not boaters, seadoers, etc.), so the Govt. has so far kept out of it. Of course, there is the suing of buddies & DMs, etc., but that's another topic we've discussed to death. Everyone's responsible for assessing their own risk.

Well being a Quebecer I find the Agency FQAS created to monitor divers in Quebec a ridiculous pathetic joke and a money grab. I have never been asked in 6 years to show my FQAS card, only once I was diving at a quarry in La Belle Provence and the owners were happy to see my TDI card. One of the limitations they have if basic diver not sure what determines this on their dumb ass card (their site is French only although their is a large population of English speaking Quebecers ) is you can only dive to a max depth of 60ft, one has to wonder how they would monitor this if diving without a computer? Yep the only advantage I have seen is the pleasure of paying the annual renewal fee along with proof of at least 8 dives in Quebec over the last 3 years. All this has done is damage the dive industry in Quebec as most people that have the choice do not dive in Quebec including myself I drive 1 1/2 hours into Ontario and dive the Brockville, Kingston area. And all this because of a few winers complaining about other divers and their dive practices of which they did not approve. The latest complaint by the FQAS is they do not have enough enforcers so are thinking of hiring more which will increase the cost of your card renewal and probably change from every 3 years to every year, so hope all you pro legislation divers are listening to this as it has had a very negative impact on the Quebec dive industry.

Hey here is a new idea a new law for the FQAS cannot dive over 100ft unless using Trimix :)

Oh to answer the original OP's Question yes I do have my moments but try not to be a hypocrite live and let live is my moto.

Below is the link to the FQAS site hope you can speak French as apparently there are only French divers in Quebec :)
FQAS Bienvenue

Last edited:
Agreed but had to respond to the Quebec comment I tried but dam I could not resist :)

No problem, Dave....it's just that I ate two packages of oreo cookies while reading the rest of the long-winded thread...now I don't know if I'll fit into my wetsuit. Am I too fat to dive?

No problem, Dave....it's just that I ate two packages of oreo cookies while reading the rest of the long-winded thread...now I don't know if I'll fit into my wetsuit. Am I too fat to dive?

You could always stop eating while you follow the rest of the thread and you should be well sorted in no time at all :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom