Are you ready to dive in the Bahamas on the Aqua Cat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing I would tell you is to spend as little time as possible around the Eleuthera area if you guys have a choice. Other than an interesting underwater large Cobia rearing project, the area has been devastated by a crusty green algae that has covered the reefs. The area is almost dead with little fish life and hardly any coral that hasn't been taken over. Some of the worse diving I've seen in the Caribbean.

We did get out to Eleuthera and I have to agree that the coral was not in great shape (nor was it really anywhere there except at depth). As a marine biologist, I look at that as an opportunity to film footage of the environmental conditions for use in my educational films. There was still plenty to keep me interested otherwise. For a recreational diver, the condition of the coral may be seen more negatively in terms of dive quality of course.

We did get out to Eleuthera and I have to agree that the coral was not in great shape (nor was it really anywhere there except at depth). As a marine biologist, I look at that as an opportunity to film footage of the environmental conditions for use in my educational films. There was still plenty to keep me interested otherwise. For a recreational diver, the condition of the coral may be seen more negatively in terms of dive quality of course.

That's why I am glad I did the trip and got to experience the Aqua Cat for myself but would not go back for that itinerary. I think eventually that is going to become a tough trip to keep selling because the dive/reef conditions will only get worse.

For me the trip is 4 weeks off. I am excited about the trip and look forward to going on my 1st liveaboard. It has been my observation that people like different places for different reasons. I remain excited and look forward to diving in a different place.

Like everything else these days its all about managing expectations. I did my second trip on the Aquacat this past February and had a ball. As it turns out we had two, yest two, runs through the Washing Machine as well as two other drift dives that were really enjoyable. Yes - some of the corral was in bad shape, but compared to the river diving I do from May to November it was majestic. And as others have mentioned, the food is really great and you will not go hungry.

Back
Top Bottom