Argon bottle mounting & weight plates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beside giving opportunity to have another gas Argon bottle gives ability to shutdown the line quickly if the inflator get stuck for any reason. In cold water it is a high risk. And with single tank you cannot really close the main valve to let it warm up.

Actually, recent studies sponsored by the Office of Naval Research show a quite substantial (up to 32%) increase in insulation value when using argon over air:

Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/7962

In water <50F, I certainly notice a difference between the two gases (using argon does require a separate bottle to pre-purge the suit of air; though I've only ever done 2-3 purges, not the 6 used in the above study).

My recreational dives tend to be longer than my T1 dives, so in cold water (e.g. back in MA or up in MoCal) I'd prefer taking argon over air/nitrox even with a single cylinder.

Air (or nitrox) vs Argon testing has shown essentially no difference.

OTOH Argon vs Trimix has lots of anecdotal evidence to support the use of argon as a suit inflation gas in lieu of He.

Not many folks diving Trimix in a single tank........

There may be a few applications calling for argon with a single tank, but it would still be atypical.

Tobin

Ranier -- Thanks for the reference. This is one of those cases where the feeling certainly is that Argon makes a difference and, quite frankly, even if it is just a placebo effect, it still is an effect!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom