Argon, how good is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm considering getting a argon bottle for drysuit diving. 3 questions.

1. How much difference warthm wise does it actually make?

2. How long will a 6 cubic foot last.

3. Does it actually make a difference in drysuit life?

As far as I'm concerned it makes a difference, I'm thinking it might last lasted me about all week, two deep dives a day, don't know about life of dry suit. I've been using it for years.

1) Meh, placebo at best
2) 6cf is good for 4 dives max, be sure to have a second hose to your primary as it will run dry at some point
3) Get a thermolution heated vest instead.

As far as I'm concerned it makes a difference, I'm thinking it might last lasted me about all week, two deep dives a day, don't know about life of dry suit. I've been using it for years.
You got two deep dives a day, for a week, on one 6cuft Argon bottle? 10-14 dives? How deep?

Back to original questions:
I usually change my 6 after two dives. It is rarely empty after two, but it beats running out. I use Argon. I don’t know for sure it makes a difference, but I use it because it might. Argon is inert. Why would it alter the life of a Drysuit?

Oh and when your argon bottle runs out be prepared to surface soon since the low pressure in the argon bottle will put it at high risk for water intrusion, Or at least be prepared to open the bottle for a cleaning. I used to hate doing visuals on argon bottles as they often had massive corrosion problems if the owner had been also substituting air for inflation gas.

Less oxygen (0) in the air to react with the inside of the suit. It was something I heard but being I dont know reactive aspects of drysuit material figured I would ask.

I stay within recreational limits.

You've gotta purge your suit a bunch to get it to a worthwhile FAr. Bring a T-bottle.

If you're doing dives where using argon is going to make a difference, you're gonna have the logistics and costs sorted to bring a T-bottle of argon and purge before you splash.

BTW they did a study on this. For most divers, it makes no difference since they're doing it wrong anyway. You're better off getting a heated vest than trying to rely on argon.

Less oxygen (0) in the air to react with the inside of the suit. It was something I heard but being I dont know reactive aspects of drysuit material figured I would ask.

I stay within recreational limits.

The number of hours unexposed to O2 are hours of diving, which i believe would be far more wear to the suit than storage at 21% oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom