Argonaut Dive #18 Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan@Vintage Double Hose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Finally I have my own BC.....Since 2013 I have been searching for a manufacturer I could work with that would allow me to buy in small quantities and provide a high quality product. I carry BC's from XS Scuba, Dive Rite and HOG Gear and all have treated my customers and I great. Still it leaves me buying from someone and reselling their products which is not a bad thing but didn't fill the void for me. I have always had the option of buying imported BC's but even then the customization and shipping cost for a small operation like VDH and my concern for longevity of their model always had me worried.
A few months ago when I teamed up with Randy at Piranha Manufacturing he got what I was trying to do and kindly introduced me to one of his resources who could make it happen and the result is the Argonaut Dive #18 wing.

Double Hose Divers, Minimalist Divers, Primitive Divers whatever you want to call us like our gear streamlined. Many do not like diving with a BC at all but the requirements to keep Boat Captains and Dive Operators happy necessitates the use of one most of the time. The Argonaut Dive #18 fits that bill nicely plus it's lightweight and takes up little room in luggage which makes it great for travel.
Is the Argonaut Dive #18 wing made from super secret squirrel material that will last 10 decades, cut your air consumption in half and make you a buoyancy control Zen Master..NOPE. It's constructed of high quality materials here in the USA and built to give you many years of problem free diving with minimal bulk or drag.

Give it a look....Take advantage of the special promotion I have going right now. Lets you take a look at it with absolutely no cost to you if it arrives and it's not everything I claim it is. On the selfish end, ordering now also helps me get my numbers up with the manufacturer and will give me leverage for the future when I decide to expand the line. Questions? Send me a PM, E-mail, give me a call or visit the website store

I appreciate you taking the time to stop by our little corner of SB and reading about it.
20170608_115139.jpg

What is the dry weight of the wing?

2 lbs 4 ounces.

Well, well, well - we finally got to open up the packages from VDH today which included the heavily discounted VDH plate and Argonaut 18 wing.

The first thing I noticed was the fit and finish of the new wing. It is exceptional in my opinion - from the quality of the inflator to the logo. Typical abuse resistant heavy nylon outer (sic) and I do like the way the bladder is bungeed as that feature pulls everything in when ambient pressure puts the squeeze on the unit when nearly empty. I measured overall length at 19 inch so it's even more compact that my Oxycheq 18 at 22 inch.

The wing is featherlight as well. I didn't have my scale on hand but the Argonaut 18 is considerably lighter dry than the Oxy 18.

We rigged the wing to the new VDH plate and set up the new harness for a new double hose initiate using my PRAMM and did our check out in the swimming pool.
She loves it and it looks great underwater. First thing I noticed was how minimally visible it is on the rig.

None of us dive overweighted and typically use 18-24 lb BCD's in full 1/4 inch wetsuits, hoods, hooded vests, boots and gloves- an 18 lb'er is more than sufficient in our experience in cold California waters.

As a travel wing - can't wait to pack this thing. It weighs next to nothing -
Overall- fit and finish - Outstanding
Value - Outstanding
Quality - Outstanding

They better get some more in stock because I've been looking forward to finding a replacement for the Oxy 18 for quite a while.

Would I buy another one? YES!

Nice job, VDH

I too recently used one of these wings. Build quality is on par with the upper tier "Big Names". The narrow profile sits nicely out of the way, and won't "taco" like some wider wings, so venting is a breeze.

I have nothing but good things to say regarding this wing.

The wing is 13"+/- at it's widest point with air in it, in comparison to the HOG 23# which is >17" +/- wide.

You practically don't even notice it is there:

IMG_20170827_163944_737.jpg
IMG_20170827_163957_604.jpg

Last edited:
I can also confirm that this wing fits the OxyCheq "Dogbone". Makes for a sweet travel rig, not sacrificing the rigidity of a hard plate.

(though why you wouldn't use the VDH plate is always a valid question)

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the #23 and #30 big brothers to the #18 that sold out very quickly. My order for them shipped late but they are in transit to me and I'll have all three of them in the website store for the holiday sale time. Will be available alone or in combo with an Argonaut or DIR style plate an harness. I'll match any advertised price on comparable rigs.
IMG_8843.JPG
IMG_8846.JPG

What are the three grommet spreads
(inner to inner, inner to outer, outer to outer)?
I'd like to fit your wing to my Freedom Contour BP, if one of those is a match.

Do all 3 wing sizes have the same size bladder inside or are they all different acvording to the outer shell? Also, do all 3 wing sizes contain the internal bungeed bladder?

3 different sizes. All three have the internal perimeter bungee on the outer bag. Thanks for your question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom