Armor welcomes your input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was unhappy with my bag as it broke on a recent trip, nearly stranding me since the handle got loose. Apparently the handle frame that attaches to the bag material is simply attached via a plastic insert with a screw through it. Of course, it snapped. Also, the main zipper is ripping out...

I like the bag, but wonder if Armor would fix it for me or replace it? That handle shouldnt have broke out like that.

See the pics. I can be reached at gary_tenison@yahoo.com. This is my actual name. Someone at Armor please check this out?

-Gary

Attachments

• IMG_5447.jpg
    IMG_5447.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5448.jpg
    IMG_5448.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_5449.jpg
    IMG_5449.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5451.jpg
    IMG_5451.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_5452.jpg
    IMG_5452.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5453.jpg
    IMG_5453.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 131
I purchased this 8/7/06 from leisurepro.com online.

Gary,
Armor bags are warranted. I'm sorry you had this problem. The bag you have (#75) was sold a few years ago and replaced with a newer version about 2 years ago. Never the less we stand behind our bags. All you have to do when you have a problem is contact either Armor directly or through the dealer you bought the bag from and we will repair or replace it. If we can't repair ir and we no longer have the product in stock to replace it with then we will contact you and discuss the options. Buy the way, Armor will always attempt to repair any bag for any customer, free of charge, regardless of warranty (and we even fix other brand bags at times for customers).
Call 800-487-9485 and ask Jeff for an RA# so we can track it. Send the bag back to Armor and we will take care of it and send it back to you.

Dave

I have bag #89. It's a great bag but I would like to see a detachable add-on luggage strap. (I cut mine off because it got caught a few times at the airport). I would also like to see the zipper pulls have a different way of attaching the lock other than putting it through the little holes on the pull tab. My other dive bag has a more secure way of locking the zipper pulls.

I contacted him and got the RA #. I mentioned that I have a dive trip planned June 20 and need the bag back before then and he said it shouldnt be a problem and he would make a note of it.

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

I have bag #89. It's a great bag but I would like to see a detachable add-on luggage strap. (I cut mine off because it got caught a few times at the airport). I would also like to see the zipper pulls have a different way of attaching the lock other than putting it through the little holes on the pull tab. My other dive bag has a more secure way of locking the zipper pulls.

It is a good idea to have a detachable luggage strap, I will incorporate that into my next production; although I can tell you that no one has ever told me they have a problem. Still, on my own bag I wind the strap up around the handle when I check the bag.

As for the zipper, no company that I know of makes a Stainless Steel zipper slider with lock tabs. The alternatives are a potentially corrosive metal slider or a plastic slider; neither are good options for the main pocket of checked luggage. I don't use locks in todays flying conditions. If you use a lock I recommend you put it through the bottom of the pull tab (the space under the tab) on one slider and the same on the other if it will fit, and if not through the normal hole. This keeps the tabs lower in profile and less chance of damage.

I use a small zip tie instead of locks. It is good enough to secure the bag from opening and casual theft. Another idea is a slpit ring (key ring). Locks on zipper tabs add to the "profile" of the zipper sliders and there is more chance of them getting caught and broken. If TSA needs to they get into the bag they do so and it's not a problem (BTW I put a set of nail clipers or corkscrew with blade in the outside pocket of the checked luggage so I have a way to cut the zip tie when I get to my destination.)

Wow. I am very surprised and happy about the treatment I got from Armor. I mailed my bag in and just a few days I recieved a personal call on my cell informing me that my bag was done, all broken parts were fixed, stitching replaced, and it was in the mail back to me. That kind of personal outreach is insanely rare. I was so surprised that I wanted to make sure to report it here. The bag is like new again. (I am hoping the bag will not break away from the handle unit again). Thank you.

Is there a chance you guys will be making an all-black version of the #94 Island Hopper any time soon? I really like the design of the bag but I'm concerned that the silver gray color will show dirt more quickly (OK, so I could care less, but my wife does). Also, I like bags containing my dive gear to be as inconspicuous as possible.

By the way, the videos on your website are a great idea. They really let you know what the bag can hold.

Makai,
The #94 is actually going to be re-worked to a smaller (22") size that will meet airline regulations. Although no one we know of has ever had a problem carrying on a #94, I supect that the next move by the airlines will be to make you fit your bag in the box (that will catch about 70% of bags people are currently carrying on) and even start weighing them like the do internationally. So I have discontinued the current #94 and will have a new roller later in the year that will be 22" tall.

So to answer your question, we probably will change the color scheme.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom