Arne Naess Deep Ecology philosophical arguments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rollerboi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I hope I'm in the right forum!

Is anyone here familiar with Arne Naess' philosophies of Deep Ecology? I've just started reading some of his work, and it's making quite a bit of sense to me.

I would like to balance this out. Can anyone point me to some good websites that would provide me with arguments _against_ his philosophies? Stuff that tries to advocate and justify the destruction of ecology for the benefit of the human race, for example. Google is just turning up a bunch of books on Amazon, none of which are particularly helpful. I'd like to expand my thinking in this arena.

Many thanks in advance!

I'm a deep ecologist, and I have no flipping idea what you're referring to. Who's Arne Naess?!:panicbutton:

Hes a highly intelligent 96 yearold philosopher that most people is going to have a very hard time arguing with if their intention is to "win" the argument in any other way than going away from it with more things for thought :p

Rollerboi:

You might want to have a read of Bill McKibben's Deep Economy. Official site for Bill McKibben: Author - Educator - Environmentalist I think you would find it a complementary viewpoint to deep ecology and I find it appealing in that it can be implemented by individuals. I've worked in the conservation field for nearly 20 years and I find deep ecology a little naive - or perhaps my idealism has been used up. The biggest successes that I have been involved with have involved compromise that some purists might disdain.

Back
Top Bottom