Suggestion Arrangement of Accidents & Incidents forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

Madacub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Alternative heading: Arrangement of Accidents, Incidents and Speculation forum :D

Seems like this needs some rethinking. There have been multiple sub threads split off the recent Catalina incident. Including two separate ones on the appropriateness of speculation in such cases (one in A&I and one in Basic Discussions).

Moderators (or whomever these suggestions are going to), please review these posts (I have a feeling you are doing just that already). Lot's of good points in them.

Mainly that an easily identifiable and well moderated source for just the facts would be welcomed. We don't want to make this just a bare bones, no discussion thread, so discussion should follow. Speculation is okay at this point, too. Because we know "the facts", or at least where to go to get them, if available.

Also I just want to clear up that the "no speculation" crowd does not object to speculation per se. We all see the benefit in the discussions that follow from speculative scenarios. But all those discussions and benefits can follow without speculating as to the facts in a particular instance. In fact, in many cases, that approach will just muddy the water. The benefits flow from discussing the hypothetical situation, not from attempting to assign a speculative hypothesis to a set of facts, so why try to, since that may invite rebuttals that are besides the educational point? That is what we have official investigations for. (Not sure if I am articulating this clearly)

Looks like TS&M's suggestion about a sticky might work. DennisS had a suggestion for a forum "learning from accidents" that would also work, though many may not like it since it would move the discussion (physically) away from the incident.

But would you also please take this opportunity to arrange the forum in it's totality? What is the need that is being served by the current forum/subforum arrangement? Yes, presentation of facts need to moderated, but otherwise let the discussion/analysis/speculation flow freely (normal TOC apply, of course).

On this larger question, bsee65 made a good point in his post 44 here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...culating-we-need-wait-4-offical-report-5.html. In the context of gaining from a discussion, what is the difference between accidents, incidents, mishaps, near misses, lessons learned? Same question should be asked in the context of factual presentation.

I'll just copy the post from bsee65 verbatim here, just for emphasis, since I suspect you all are already engaged on the facts vs speculation issue, but may miss this larger issue.

"With regard to forum layouts, my opinion is that the current forums are backward. Your description of actual accident details is the forum that should be moderated to ensure that only known facts and likely educated speculation is fairly presented. The "Mishap Analysis" forum should be the more free-flowing discussion of various incidents. Based upon the small amount of activity in that particular forum, I am unsure what need it exists to meet as a moderated area. It might even be appropriate that there be a thread created in the analysis forum for each factual accident report with mutual links to connect them. Of course, then one must determine the protocols. For example, what separates an "accidents and incidents" item from a "near misses and lessons learned" issue?

One significant benefit I would see from this is that there would be absolutely no excuse for someone to jump into page 10 of a discussion thread without having read the known facts of the incident. If they are neatly presented in a separate thread/post, I would hope there would be fewer instances of speculation piled on top of speculation to the point of a fantasy scenario that couldn't possibly fit the known facts. Another benefit would be a clearer delineation between facts and speculation should some interested party read the content.

Just idle speculation on my part here. I agree things could be better, and it might even be possible that all interests can be served."

(Did (s)he really say "idle speculation"? Holy cow, talk about pouring gas on an open flame!)

But seriously, I agree that all interests can be served. If not, the mods may be busy moving/splitting threads more than they need to. Good job so far, by the way.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Alternative heading: Arrangement of Accidents, Incidents and Speculation forum :D

Seems like this needs some rethinking. There have been multiple sub threads split off the recent Catalina incident. Including two separate ones on the appropriateness of speculation in such cases (one in A&I and one in Basic Discussions).

Moderators (or whomever these suggestions are going to), please review these posts (I have a feeling you are doing just that already). Lot's of good points in them.

Mainly that an easily identifiable and well moderated source for just the facts would be welcomed. We don't want to make this just a bare bones, no discussion thread, so discussion should follow. Speculation is okay at this point, too. Because we know "the facts", or at least where to go to get them, if available.

Also I just want to clear up that the "no speculation" crowd does not object to speculation per se. We all see the benefit in the discussions that follow from speculative scenarios. But all those discussions and benefits can follow without speculating as to the facts in a particular instance. In fact, in many cases, that approach will just muddy the water. The benefits flow from discussing the hypothetical situation, not from attempting to assign a speculative hypothesis to a set of facts, so why try to, since that may invite rebuttals that are besides the educational point? That is what we have official investigations for. (Not sure if I am articulating this clearly)

Looks like TS&M's suggestion about a sticky might work. DennisS had a suggestion for a forum "learning from accidents" that would also work, though many may not like it since it would move the discussion (physically) away from the incident.

But would you also please take this opportunity to arrange the forum in it's totality? What is the need that is being served by the current forum/subforum arrangement? Yes, presentation of facts need to moderated, but otherwise let the discussion/analysis/speculation flow freely (normal TOC apply, of course).

On this larger question, bsee65 made a good point in his post 44 here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...culating-we-need-wait-4-offical-report-5.html. In the context of gaining from a discussion, what is the difference between accidents, incidents, mishaps, near misses, lessons learned? Same question should be asked in the context of factual presentation.

I'll just copy the post from bsee65 verbatim here, just for emphasis, since I suspect you all are already engaged on the facts vs speculation issue, but may miss this larger issue.

"With regard to forum layouts, my opinion is that the current forums are backward. Your description of actual accident details is the forum that should be moderated to ensure that only known facts and likely educated speculation is fairly presented. The "Mishap Analysis" forum should be the more free-flowing discussion of various incidents. Based upon the small amount of activity in that particular forum, I am unsure what need it exists to meet as a moderated area. It might even be appropriate that there be a thread created in the analysis forum for each factual accident report with mutual links to connect them. Of course, then one must determine the protocols. For example, what separates an "accidents and incidents" item from a "near misses and lessons learned" issue?

One significant benefit I would see from this is that there would be absolutely no excuse for someone to jump into page 10 of a discussion thread without having read the known facts of the incident. If they are neatly presented in a separate thread/post, I would hope there would be fewer instances of speculation piled on top of speculation to the point of a fantasy scenario that couldn't possibly fit the known facts. Another benefit would be a clearer delineation between facts and speculation should some interested party read the content.

Just idle speculation on my part here. I agree things could be better, and it might even be possible that all interests can be served."

(Did (s)he really say "idle speculation"? Holy cow, talk about pouring gas on an open flame!)

But seriously, I agree that all interests can be served. If not, the mods may be busy moving/splitting threads more than they need to. Good job so far, by the way.

Thanks.

One problem that I see is separating "fact" from "speculation." In the recent accidents, several of the "facts" as reported by the news was wrong. Depth, training level, etc.

People who do know (instructors/rescuers) are often restricted from talking about it pending investigations. With very few exceptions, buddies do not come forward to give first hand accounts. Even if they were on the dive, they may not have been the actual buddy. This lack of "factual information" is what leads to the speculation and extrapolation of events.

If we make a separate thread/forum for facts, who is going to be responsible for checking/verifying their accuracy before they get posted as "fact?" This also means yet another thread that has to be closely moderated to keep it within special rules.

A lot of people say "wait for the official report!" Other than the Richard Mork accident, I can't recall seeing any detailed official reports and that one took almost a year. Any autopsy reports that get released are going to list the cause of death as drowning. We already know that, we're looking for what caused the drowning.

Regarding the accident/incident and the near misses/lessons learned forums, here is my interpretation of them.

Accident/incidents: an injury occurred.
Near misses/lessons learned: Something happened that could have turned into an accident
Mishap analysis is a forum for the anonymous discussion of an accident. It allows for no speculation, blame, or emotion. It's is a systematic dissection of an accident to come to a preventable solution. IMO, it's seldom used because 1) It's fully moderated, all posts have to be approved in advance and 2) Not many people are able to do a detached clinical dissection of an accident.

We are open to making these forums more usable/valuable for our users. It is one of our most popular sub-forums. I would love to hear more input from other users on how you would like to modify this area.

I would like to see the "facts" located in one area. TS&M had a good suggestion on putting them at the beginning of the thread. I realize the "facts" are imperfect. How often do we read the newspaper account of the diver with the empty oxygen tank. By "facts" I mean, newspaper accounts, buddy reports, people that were there and even people who spoke to people who were there. Would of, could of, should of, posts could follow.

I would like to see the "facts" located in one area. TS&M had a good suggestion on putting them at the beginning of the thread. I realize the "facts" are imperfect. How often do we read the newspaper account of the diver with the empty oxygen tank. By "facts" I mean, newspaper accounts, buddy reports, people that were there and even people who spoke to people who were there. Would of, could of, should of, posts could follow.

The problem with newspaper facts are that they rarely are facts. They are just the views of one reporter that may or may not have any firsthand information. Actual, first hand facts are going to be in short supply directly after any accident.

Actual, first hand facts are going to be in short supply directly after any accident.

If ever.

------------------------------

IMO. The forum structure is fine. The Mishap Analysis is a waste of space right now; it has little to no use at all. We have a forum for the discussion of accidents. This will include speculation, since that's all there is. People say the purpose of the A&I forum is to learn; well, we learn from speculating as to what the person did wrong (if anything). It may be hard for some people to hear that "joe diver" who was a great diver, and would never make a mistake; in most cases had something go wrong that caused their death. If people can't handle the forum, they should ignore that forum. If people want to use the forum as the resource it is; then have at it.

Personally, I think that attacks upon one another for opinions in difficult to hear discussions should be removed. I also agree that the condolences should be in the forum that is appropriate for them. People are on SB to discuss period. Like any channel we watch on TV... If it's not a channel we enjoy, we can block it from our TV menu.

I guess; in conclusion: I don't see any need to change the current structure; except to maybe remove the "mishap analysis" all together.

Hey guys-

Just to weigh in here, it's clear that something should be done. If there is this much time spent discussing/arguing about the purposes of the various forums and whether or not speculation should be allowed, then something is broken. It may be as simple as an official statement making clear the Scubaboard policy with respect to speculation in accident threads, maybe by editing the forum description. A decision to do nothing only guarantees that this will come back around again at some point in the future.

Evaluating this in the "mishap analysis" style, there is a group of people that just wants the facts and another group that would like to speculate. Is there a solution that makes both groups happy without tripling someone's work load? My concept of a moderated fact thread separate from the discussion would require additional work on someone's part for determining what bits need to become part of the fact set. That's probably impractical, but are there any other options?

Back
Top Bottom