Article: Don't Worry - It Will Be OK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Thank you Bob and Julie. Is it okay to "reproduce" the article as a hard copy to distribute?

Bill

Julie is not a member of ScubaBoard (that I'm aware of), but I can tell you that it is her intention to get this message as widely distributed as possible. A heavily edited version of the article is in this month's Alert Diver magazine, and I've been wanting to post this here, but agreed to wait until after the Alert Diver article was published to do so.

You have my permission to use the article as a training aid ... and I have no doubt that Julie would agree. That's why we wrote it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow, there's so many things 'wrong' with that story. The dive conditions sound similar to where I live, and the main boat operators simply would not have let John on the boat, let alone buddied two inexperienced divers together. I've been mildly annoyed with this policy in the past, I probably won't be so after reading this story. I also think it's poor form of the Instructor to descend and leave two divers who were so obviously anxious to descend alone in low vis conditions.

As to the whole reassurance thing.. who hasn't had to reassure an obviously nervous diver? That's a whole can of worms right there.

Julie is not a member of ScubaBoard (that I'm aware of), but I can tell you that it is her intention to get this message as widely distributed as possible. A heavily edited version of the article is in this month's Alert Diver magazine, and I've been wanting to post this here, but agreed to wait until after the Alert Diver article was published to do so.

You have my permission to use the article as a training aid ... and I have no doubt that Julie would agree. That's why we wrote it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thank you, that is what I want it for.

Bill

Bill,

I am also OK with it being printed and distributed. As Bob said, that's the whole reason I got certified and started down the path of "how can I make a change".

Julie

Thank you Julie.

Bill

A thought-provoking and cautionary article, and an excellent one, as yours always are, Bob. Thank you to Julie for the graciousness of allowing her daughter's story to be told this way, too.

Thank you, Bob and Julie, for doing this. I have no doubt that many, many divers will be safer as a result. It's an important reminder not only of why we need to be assertive about our needs and concerns in diving, but that when a diver is lost, a grieving family is left behind. I'm very sorry for your loss, Julie.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Julie.
I can't understand why they didn't assign one of their staff to dive with your daughter given her lack of experience.
In my first dive trip after I got my OW, the shop assigned one instructor to go one-one with me to make sure of my safety. Only after a few dives and the instructor getting comfortable with my dive skills, they added more divers to our group.

Back
Top Bottom