Article: In-Water Recompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo,

You seem very knowledgeable and well-informed about the subject, as well as patient in dealing with others - which is refreshing to see on this board. Thanks for taking the time to share information that could save my life one day.

I was curious as to why IWR hasn't been officially adopted as a practice by any of the dive agencies (at least not that I've heard of), or why DAN hasn't developed some sort of official procedure/manual. It seems like a pretty critical skill to have when you're pushing the limits of tech diving.

…I was curious as to why IWR hasn't been officially adopted as a practice by any of the dive agencies (at least not that I've heard of), or why DAN hasn't developed some sort of official procedure/manual...

DAN is on top of it, we just haven’t seen much product yet.

Scuba Diving Medical Safety Advice ? DAN | Divers Alert Network

You can tell change is in the wind. See Bret Gilliam’s article In water recompression - How to save a life on a remote dive that was recently posted on the TDI site. Bret has been around longer than the current “IWR = BAD” mantra and has done a lot of expedition diving.

Medical professionals are governed by the Hippocratic Oath, which is often summarized by “first do no harm”. Accurate diagnosis is very high on the IWR problem list. Hyperbaric medical professionals rarely (never?) base their diagnosis on “this guy’s been diving so is probably bent” — even though a layperson like me is likely to reach that conclusion and miss the fact that the diver is having a heart attack or some other medical condition that won’t be helped by recompression of any kind.

This kind of “educated guess” isn’t nearly as risky when all the divers are young and doing deep mixed gas dives on rebreathers with hours of decompression. How about an overweight and out of shape 58 year old warm water vacation diver with elbow pain who just completed his fourth no-D dive on 32% Nitrox that day? “But the computer says I am fine”… Bent, strained elbow, or serious medical problem???

Adequate preparation is another problem. Let’s throw out the word safe. Diving isn’t safe under ideal conditions. IWR is much less safe, or more dangerous. There has been a lot written on equipment and training already, but you can see it isn’t trivial. You also have to understand that dive agencies don’t lead, they follow. They aren’t hyperbaric professionals and this isn’t a criticism.

The great majority of the cumulative knowledge presented in diving classes at all levels resulted from accidents that scared the hell out of, injured, or killed someone. Thanks to all the pioneers the preceded me, living or not.

IWR has been used at least since the 1950s — on rare occasions and usually with some success. That’s what you do when it is the only viable option. As the sport progressed, the need for IWR diminished dramatically because decompression was better understood, chambers were more available, and the industry was moving toward what we now call “recreational limits”. Meanwhile, IWR has become taboo since it was rarely appropriate. The confluence of technical diving, rebreathers, and liveaboards in very remote locations is a fairly new phenomenon… and is an appropriate application of IWR.

BTW, thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:
No problem, just glad to see SB has a decent community around it. Are there any organizations that will teach IWR for emergency responders? I know that PADI has a bunch of first-aid type courses, but I doubt they would teach IWR; not sure about NAUI, I'm looking into my university's scientific dive program right now so I'll see what they have to say about it.

It's probably not something I would get any use out of in the near future, but my long-term goals are definitely some serious tech and penetration diving, so I'd like to start building my skills sooner rather than later.

I would call DAN since they ran the most recent seminar that I know of. If someone held a gun to my head and made pick who would offer a course first, I would “guess” TDI. Please let us know what you learn.

I seem to recall a PSAI text (ER maybe) having info on IWR somewhere in it, but I'd have to dig it out to confirm. Rather different than a how-to course, but at least it's something.

I would call DAN since they ran the most recent seminar that I know of. If someone held a gun to my head and made pick who would offer a course first, I would “guess” TDI. Please let us know what you learn.

IANTD did a symposium on IWR in San Diego in April. They are offering IWR as a course of training. The course is very narrow in scope as it's targeted to CCR/FFM divers (but then, the divers for who this is a consideration are likely diving those configs anyway).

IANTD did a symposium on IWR in San Diego in April. They are offering IWR as a course of training...

Not sure if DAN hijacked the symposium, but it looks like they were a/the major sponsor??? This is the third time I have posted this link:

Did you attend “In Water Recompression Controversies Symposium” at the Kon Kai Resort? If so, did many people actually show up?

Last edited:
Not sure if DAN hijacked the symposium, but it looks like they were a/the major sponsor??? This is the third time I have posted this link:

Did you attend “In Water Recompression Controversies Symposium” at the Kon Kai Resort? If so, did many people actually show up?

I was out of town on business, unfortunately. A few good friends and one of our dive team members did attend. They said it was worthwhile; though we've admittedly had trouble incorporating some of the recommendations into our expeditions thus far - work in progress. I had a chance to chat with Richard Pyle ahead of the symposium and his take was that it was more of an opportunity for the industry people to get together to have a conversation about it and if divers showed up to learn, all the better.

Locally there are probably only about 12-20 people who are doing these dives offshore where IWR would be helpful here. So based on the relatively few people who could have benefited from it (I just don't see people flying in from the east coast for a 2-day IWR meeting) it was pretty well attended.

I've been emailing with some of the folks to get ahold of the materials. IANTD ran a trial of their IWR course after the presentations.

… Locally there are probably only about 12-20 people who are doing these dives offshore where IWR would be helpful here. So based on the relatively few people who could have benefited from it (I just don't see people flying in from the east coast for a 2-day IWR meeting) it was pretty well attended...

This is probably a root problem for IWR training in general. The need is so rare and the hurdle is so high that far too many people that could benefit won’t bother.

Providing an equipment checklist is pretty easy and can be an online course. Still we are talking thousands of dollars by the time you get two FFMs, communications, and reasonable spares. Technically a FFM training course would be required but it isn’t that complicated for someone doing expedition tech diving. An online course and local unsupervised practice dives really would work. The tables are easy.

The hardest part for an online course is diagnosis. I doubt that many physicians will want to play at all — in course development or teaching, online or classroom. The “responsible and logical” response is “don’t do deep recreational decompression dives without a chamber”. OK, that’s not going to happen just like liveaboards operating in remote locations aren’t going to abandon their business model.

Aside from a small and highly disbursed customer base for IWR training, the problem of keeping skills up is important. A liveaboard can review and do drills a few times a year but an expedition team probably needs to review before each expedition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom