Article: Karl Huggins' Journey to the Edge (the development of the world’s first commercially successful electronic dive computer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great information as most of us know the unit, but not the man behind it. Where would be without Karl's invention? Thanks for keeping us informed about our diving history.

Steve, thanks for the article and for giving Karl some well-deserved attention. Nice work.

To clarify, the EDGE was not my invention, I helped develop it. It was the brainchild of Craig Barshinger who founded Orca Industries and pulled the team together to develop his idea into the EDGE. Without Craig the EDGE never would have happened and the Swiss Table reading Decobrain would have been the only dive computer available in the early 1980s. FYI: Craig is now Senator Barshinger, Senator at Large for the US Virgin Islands.

Great information as most of us know the unit, but not the man behind it. Where would be without Karl's invention? Thanks for keeping us informed about our diving history.

Glad you enjoyed it. Karl is a very modest person who deserves more recognition for his great contributions to diving.
So True! Thank you, Steve, for a well written story that needed to be told. Excellent! Thanks to Karl for.... well, for a very long list of enhancements to our wonderful world of diving.

Steve and Karl, thank you for the article. As a "vintage diver," I've just recently gotten into diving with a computer. It's great to hear about its development. And Karl, thank you for mentioning Craig Barshinger. I looked up his profile here. Now I keep wondering about what my life would have been like had I taken a NAUI Instructor position in the U.S. Virgin Islands in about 1978? Well, we can all do that, and I would not trade what I've experienced for that, but those little decisions make a vast difference in what we do. Thanks for the information.

SeaRat

Karl continues to contribute to diving all the time. This month he traveled to Kwajalein Island to put on an Emergency Dive Accident Management course. He also lectured to the dive boat captains in So Cal this past week.

Ah, the Edge! I had one of those!! Had all the Orca computers, and now, I dive Cochran exclusively. Computers have come such a long way!! As we all have I suppose! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom