Article on Ben McDaniel - Vortex Springs Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a psychologist, but I do work in critical care and deal with families of dying pts on a regular basis. No matter how much overwhelming medical evidence you present to a family that their loved one is not going to make it, no one is going to accept that fact the first time they are told (or first 20 times, depending on the family). Add to that the fact that theres no body in this case, and this family is no different than most of the ones I deal with. I would guess that the family will never stop asking for someone to go back down and try to find him, and we can only hope that they won't find someone foolish enough to take them up on their offer. Best case is that no one comes forward to try, the blasted papers quit giving them press time and they begin to accept he's gone, be it heaven, Mexico or wherever he ended up. Just my humble opinion.

Jordan.

Reading this thread makes me feel like I just went through a wormhole, and got thrown back one year in time! Same speculation,and same lack of any significant evidence that the possible decedent is in Vortex (except the cadaver dogs flagging). I would like to see some closure for the McDaniel family, but if they ever find the gentleman in question alive, I hope he can be prosecuted. If he is deceased, may he rest in peace. One take away leason from this whole mess is, if you ever want to fake your own death, do not do it in a way that involves an activity that employs risk analysis (such as diving or aviation). Your "death" will not fade into obscurity for a very long time.

Last edited:
I never heard before that he had 1100 bucks in his wallet. That is suspicious to me. Why would you ever leave that kind of money unattended at a dive site?

I never heard before that he had 1100 bucks in his wallet. That is suspicious to me. Why would you ever leave that kind of money unattended at a dive site?

I guess you would leave a note that said you were in the water and didn't disappear.

Don't know who is following what, so posting this here, as well.

Please note that "he had it all . . . . wife . . . girlfriend . . . "

:giggle:

Please note that "he had it all . . . . wife . . . girlfriend . . . "

:giggle:

it also said he had "financial stability.

I guess in their research, the missed the fact that he owed the federal IRS about $50,000 in "back taxes" and also owed the Tennessee Department of Revenue several thousand $$$ also.

so did he have a wife, girlfriend? or both?

The voice you hear in the trailer at about 1:15 is our own Kevin C. It will be interesting to see what their conclusions are at the end of the documentary....my guess is they will conclude that we may never know!

Hello all: That sound bite is a little out-of-context: BEFORE Ben McDaniel's life began to spiral downward, he had a great family life, he was married to a nice woman, had a successful construction company, financial stability, etc...AFTER his brother died, he was divorced, and before his world fell apart (IRS, etc...) he had a nice girlfriend. (Not precluding the possibility that he was still married when he met girlfriend.) This all culminated in his relocation to Florida to "reinvent" himself, and of course, the Vortex incident. As for conclusions: we have quite a few surprises to reveal...
Robert McClellan
Writer/Producer
"Ben's Vortex"
www.BensVortex.com

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom