Article on Ben McDaniel - Vortex Springs Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• After a day of fishing in Louisiana, two fishermen put on single tanks and took spears down below 200 feet in search of groupers. One did not return. In the thread on that incident, a bunch of fellow deep spearos joined SB to say that there was nothing at all wrong with that--sometimes people die on scuba. They were so rude and insulting to everyone who suggested that the dive plan was not good that the entire thread was thrown out.

That wasn't even the half of it. His friends were bragging about how they do these dives multiple times a day, staying up just long enough to swap out tanks and have a beer before doing it again. The bonehead who died had ignored a doctor's diagnosis of a serious sinus condition that should have prevented him from diving AT ALL ... according to his friend who was bragging about what a great diver he was ... proud of the fact that he'd never had any training beyond OW. The final straw was that these clowns were doing these dives on single AL80's that weren't even full ...

... how many bullets can you load into the chamber before Russian roulette becomes a simple case of suicide?

More than one frequent poster on ScubaBoard seemed to think this kind of diving is acceptable ... and now they're clamouring for their own forum where they can promote it.

Stupid is as stupid does ... they're being led by a guy who can't even put two coherent sentences together. Coincidence? I think not ...

... and yeah, I see some parallels with the McDaniels saga. If this movie is gonna get the real facts out about this young man, rather than glamourize his "accomplishments", then let it be told ... maybe someone will put one and one together ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd like to see this story on Dateline or 48 Hours. Done correctly it could go a long way with educating the masses.

Last spring I talked with a technical diving instructor who doesn't have 5 minutes of cave training. He says he has a friend who is a cave diver, and he is trying to get the friend to take him into Diepolder II. I told him it was not a good idea.

This one has bigger implications,and should be reported to a Diepolder guide. Diepolder carrys with it the caveat that cave diving under a guide system is permitted,but a fatality will close the place. If these people go in there and have an accident,and even though they aren't cave certified,the media will protray it as a cave diving accident,an awesome cave diving site might disappear.

This one has bigger implications,and should be reported to a Diepolder guide. Diepolder carrys with it the caveat that cave diving under a guide system is permitted,but a fatality will close the place. If these people go in there and have an accident,and even though they aren't cave certified,the media will protray it as a cave diving accident,an awesome cave diving site might disappear.
I know, and I told him as much, suggesting to him that is probably the reason his friend has not agreed to the request. I knly know the tech instructor's name, I don't know the name of his cave diving friend, and I don't know if the friend is even considering the request. I mentioned it only as an example of what Netdoc called hubris, the common belief among divers that their current skill level is so great that they can bypass the training required of mere mortals and do dives of this nature. I do not have any sense that a real attempt to do that cave is actually going to occur.

Reactions: Jax
I'd like to see this story on Dateline or 48 Hours. Done correctly it could go a long way with educating the masses.
NBC has a segment of the "Disappeared" program in the works. They contacted us for footage, and will mention Jill Heinerth and making Ben's Vortex documentary in the episode. I have no idea when it is due to air. Our film is a much more detailed investigation, from cave divers who are also film makers, so probably no hero-worship or "Oxygen tanks" in our version.

Thankfully, we can rely on Heinerth Productions to do a full, thorough, and impartial investigation, which I wouldn't in a million years trust Dateline OR 48 Hours to do.

NBC has a segment of the "Disappeared" program in the works. They contacted us for footage, and will mention Jill Heinerth and making Ben's Vortex documentary in the episode. I have no idea when it is due to air. Our film is a much more detailed investigation, from cave divers who are also film makers, so probably no hero-worship or "Oxygen tanks" in our version.

Ah, c'mon, throw at least one in there to see how many people notice! :laughing:

Sneaking Diepoldar is just plain stupid. I can totally understand the logic that some use to justify sneaking sites which are paid for by tax dollars and closed to the public (even though it often has consequences beyond what they see), but an open site on private property...really? :shakehead:

...not to mention a non-cave diver wanting to take part in a cave dive that gets over 200-300' in depth...

Sneaking Diepoldar is just plain stupid. I can totally understand the logic that some use to justify sneaking sites which are paid for by tax dollars and closed to the public (even though it often has consequences beyond what they see), but an open site on private property...really? :shakehead:

...not to mention a non-cave diver wanting to take part in a cave dive that gets over 200-300' in depth...
Correct on both counts. That is my point.

Given my age and the restrictions on Diepoldar, I will probably never get to dive it. That is because I respect the requirements and understand what is required and why it is required. I have enough cave training to know it matters. My untrained acquaintance does not have enough training to understand why he is not welcome there. I believe I set him straight, but...

that is what is important about a film like this. If it is made right, it will bring the knowledge that there is a reason for these restrictions to those who are contemplating the shortcuts.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom