Artificial reefs in the Southeast US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jessica Anderson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Navionics just charted almost 1500 more artificial reefs in the southeast US so now the question is which ones to hit first. What are your favorite artificial reefs to dive in southeast US?

Wouldn't those all already be charted on the NOAA charts?

Southeast US can be an awfully large area to cover on a daytrip.(G)

Assuming Florida is included in the Southeast, one of my favorites is the Baja California and the nearby Air Force relay tower located in the gulf. The Spiegle Grove, Vandenberg and the Duane in the Keys are pretty cool. For Goliath Grouper sightings, I like the MG 111, Zion/Bonaire and Mizpah in Jupiter and WPB

Why the focus on artificial reefs? Assuming NC is in the southeast, we have a number of artificial wrecks, but also a number of real wrecks, and several offshore ledge systems which are covered with fish and critters and marine growth. Personally of the three I will take the ledges although all three are nice.

Wouldn't those all already be charted on the NOAA charts?

Southeast US can be an awfully large area to cover on a daytrip.(G)

Some would be on NOAA charts and some may not be. Navionics gets data from NOAA, other government sources, as well as boaters' own sonar data and Community Edits so lots of opportunity to add markers that other charts don't have.

Why the focus on artificial reefs? Assuming NC is in the southeast, we have a number of artificial wrecks, but also a number of real wrecks, and several offshore ledge systems which are covered with fish and critters and marine growth. Personally of the three I will take the ledges although all three are nice.

You're right Steve, there are some really awesome natural wrecks in North Carolina and amazing ledges, etc throughout the southeast. Just figured I'd ask about artificial since Navionics had just addd so many to the charts and some of the artificial spots have some really cool stories associated with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom