Artificial Upwelling to Stem Effects of Climate Change?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adiverslife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Bonaire had a recent severe bleaching event. We are recovering today but in the future if the window in which the water stays warm lasts too long we will not, like most places around the world. My non-profit is looking into artificial upwelling as a research project in Bermuda "Artificial Upwelling Could Help Save Coral Reefs" is showing some progress. Has anyone else found any more information on this? I know there are many purists that will not want to see us messing with the normal flow of things but the fact is if we do nothing we will lose our reefs. We need to at least investigate the possibilities.

This is a video I shot for our my YouTube Channel A Diver's Life (The Sun Worshipers). We have what I regard is a stretch of reef in Bonaire that rivals anything we see in Indonesia due to the density and vibrance of life as you can see in the video. It is a stretch of reef that goes from Wilemstorem Lighthouse and the Red Slave Obelisk. We have Elkhorn coral there the size of a Toyota Tacoma pickups. This and other areas of Bonaire are in very good shape but for how long? As we learn more I hope to post it on line.

If any of you have any more research on this topic please post it here. I am very interested.

Reactions: OTF
There was quite a long thread on this at the Coral-List site, back in June.
[Coral-List] OTEC around coral reefs
Erik Meesters (eric.meesters9at)wur.nl) is involved with an OTEC effort somewhere on Bonaire. The point is energy production, but pumped upwelling is how it works. Suggest you contact him. Some info at dr. EHWG (Erik) Meesters.

There was quite a long thread on this at the Coral-List site, back in June.
[Coral-List] OTEC around coral reefs
Erik Meesters (eric.meesters9at)wur.nl) is involved with an OTEC effort somewhere on Bonaire. The point is energy production, but pumped upwelling is how it works. Suggest you contact him. Some info at dr. EHWG (Erik) Meesters.
Thank you! I will. Yes, if you have waves you don't need power to drive the pump but when you don't, which happens during the really hot times of the year, we need another solution.

We are entering a "grand solar minimum" that threatens a new ice age or at least cooler temperatures for decades to come. Seems the trace amount of Co2 can't save us.
Look on the bright side.
You could study that...

We are entering a "grand solar minimum" that threatens a new ice age or at least cooler temperatures for decades to come. Seems the trace amount of Co2 can't save us.
Look on the bright side.
You could study that...
Or you could by this jumbo sized bottle of snake oil, I'll sell you for a nominal shipping and handling fee.

Or you could by this jumbo sized bottle of snake oil, I'll sell you for a nominal shipping and handling fee.

Gee thanks!
Is that what you use before watching cnn?

Look on the bright side.
You could study that...
I have heard that. Not buying it. Sorry. That is what people want to point to to discredit the significant impact humans are having on the climate. You are of course entitled to your opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom