Artificial Upwelling to Stem Effects of Climate Change?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, are you suggesting that the reason that there is such thrivng biodiversity in Indonesia and less in the Carribean is becasue it all originated in Indonesia? I have not seen that as a popular hypothesis - but there are many others, for example:
What Is the Coral Triangle? | Live Science
Yes. Origination in the Coral Triangle is well accepted. Note its location.....note the distance from it to Indonesia, to Fiji, note the difficulty coral spawn has in getting to the Caribbean....as opposed to getting to Indonesia.

I'll buy your jumbo sized bottle of snake oil if it comes labelled "Ardbeg", "Balvenie", or "Talisker".
:wink:

-Z
Sorry, all I have left is Laphroaig :cool:

Sorry, all I have left is Laphroaig :cool:
Oooh, that'll do too.

-Z

Yes. Origination in the Coral Triangle is well accepted. Note its location.....note the distance from it to Indonesia, to Fiji, note the difficulty coral spawn has in getting to the Caribbean....as opposed to getting to Indonesia.
Accepted by who? Do you have a link? The info I find when I search does not really support that all coral originated in the Coral Triangle - some seems to say otherwise per the link I posted and the one below - so I don’t see a definitive consensus anywhere?

The origin of coral reefs - Eniscuola. .

Use scholar.google.com instead of regular Google. Here's one result:

Support for a ‘Center of Origin’ in the Coral Triangle: Cryptic diversity, recent speciation, and local endemism in a diverse lineage of reef fishes (Gobiidae: Eviota) - ScienceDirect

"The presence of multiple young, highly-endemic cryptic species of Eviota within the Coral Triangle suggests that (i) the Coral Triangle is indeed a “cradle” of reef fish biodiversity and that (ii) our current approximations of reef fish diversity in the region may be significantly underestimated."

Accepted by who? Do you have a lick? The info I find when I search does not really support that all coral originated in the Coral Triangle - some seems to say otherwise per the link I posted and the one below - so I don’t see a definitive consensus anywhere?

The origin of coral reefs - Eniscuola. .
I've put the question on Coral List, the largest collection of coral researchers/experts on-line. I'll let you know what they say. I suspect that just telling you what I learned maybe 20 years ago will not satisfy you.

I've put the question on Coral List, the largest collection of coral researchers/experts on-line. I'll let you know what they say. I suspect that just telling you what I learned maybe 20 years ago will not satisfy you.
I'm an engineer - if you can provide actual facts versus your opinion (as you posted no actual references) I'll certainly listen as I'm curious too - but I don't just take someone's word for it, especially when some quick searches brought back results that indicate that there are a number of different hypothesis on why there is such a concentration of bio-diversity in the Coral Triangle versus other locations. Of course, none of this changes the fact of my original statement.

I apologize to the Op for this dragging the thread off it's intended subject on methods for improving/preserving coral health which I commend you for pursuing the new ideas.

There was quite a long thread on this at the Coral-List site, back in June.
[Coral-List] OTEC around coral reefs
Erik Meesters (eric.meesters9at)wur.nl) is involved with an OTEC effort somewhere on Bonaire. The point is energy production, but pumped upwelling is how it works. Suggest you contact him. Some info at dr. EHWG (Erik) Meesters.
Thank you. Bart Snelder, at Wannadive, knows him and will put me in touch with him.

I seriously suggest you get your physics/meteorology right before talking too much about this.
I am just asking for information. If you don't ask questions about something you are not going to find anything out. This is how it starts. What I can say is waiting for governments to solve the climate issue in a timely fashion is a recipe for disaster. We need to buy us some time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom