Aruba - beware of Pelican/Unique Sports of Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quimbers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All!
My husband and I used this site prior to our trip to Aruba this past September since we found it very helpful I thought i'd join to warn you about a scary experience we had. I'm new here so I apologize if this is not in the correct forum topic....

On Wed Sept 3rd, my husband and I (along with a man named Bill and an older gentleman who logged over 600 dives) chose to dive with Pelican/Unique (there was a 2nd group on the boat too, another man named Billy, a diver named John who was trying to complete certification and a young woman). Each group had our own dive master. A storm was brewing and we dove on Arashi/Malmok reef, a drift dive.

When we surfaced after a 20 minute high speed drift dive, the dive master told our group he had to abort the dive. The dive boat was a very long distance away from us and going in the opposite direction, eventually it disappeared completely. The waves were a fair size by now, we were drifting away from the island.

The dive masters emergency inflator tube was so tattered and fraying that it could not be inflated but only held horizontally between his arms over his head (useless due to the size of the waves).

Thankfully a small fishing boat spotted Bills inflator tube and rescued us. From the fishing boat we spotted the 2nd group of divers also heading out to sea and no dive boat to be seen. The fishermen radio'ed our dive captain to come back for the divers left in the water.

We trusted this 5* gold palm dive operation to make clear calls on behalf of us and in the interest of our safety but i'm left wondering if they had the skills or training to make those calls (a drift dive near the tip of the island in an oncoming storm? we might not know better but perhaps they should have?) In hind sight i remember they did not drop a drift line to check the current which is probably why the boat went in one direction and the current took us over a mile in the other direction.

Upon late return to the pier no one knew there had been a problem. We were asked if we enjoyed our dive!!!

We were surprised that a 5* facility didnt insist that their dive masters have functioning emergency signalling equipment (just in case you're curious, I had a whistle, the older man had a horn and Bill had a functioning inflator tube. When I got into the fishing boat I asked if they heard us/horn/whistle and he said no, they saw the tube!)

I later learned the police were called to the other pier after we were dropped at the first pier. A report was filed and the captain warned.

This incident also made the local paper (in their language, we were told if it was in the English paper it would scare away tourists) but we have a copy in case they deny the incident. We tried to follow up with pelican/unique but were surprised when they pretentded not to know us and said nothing had happened!!

I cant believe we paid for that experience!!

We were very lucky to be spotted when most boats were already safely back in their marinas.

Unfortunately, looking back on this dive, would I still get into the water? yes, I would, it was much safer bobbing on the surface of the water instead of staying in the tossing boat.

We dove with another gentleman who knows aruba like the back of his hand - Dive with Clive - I would trust him with my life and recommend him hands down!!!

Interesting.... I dove with Pelican a couple years ago and they were a very safe operation. Had no problems.

did you have a safety tube? (SMB?)

you should never dive in open water without one. I'm guessing you learned that though on this dive.

I've been on dives where the diver came up hundreds of yards from the boat in high currents and if it wasn't for his safety tube we'd had a hard time seeing him.

anyway, on a drift dive in high currents where it's hard for the boat to keep track of where the divers are, the divemaster towing a flag or buoy-ball is an easy solution for the boat to track them, if they stay together as a group.

Was the current on the bottom going in different directions from the current on the surface? I have seen that and in fact know of a group of divers from my local shop that sat on the surface in Cozumel for almost 3 hours while the dive boat figured out the directions were different and went looking for them. Terrible but conflicting currents is not something one can forecast (I don't think anyways). Perhaps that was it. I also agree with Mike that an SMB (surface marker buoy - typically launched before surfacing to signal location to the boat) or SS (safety sausage - used on the surface) are a must on all open water dives.

Glad everybody came out OK even if frazzled. This can be written off as a lesson in life as any incident can be. We all need to learn something from it. Thanks for allowing us to learn from it.

Last edited:
Although I am sad you had such an unpleasant experience, I don't think you should be angry with the dive op. Maybe your boat should not have gone out with an imprending storm, but the fact is conditions can change at ANY time during a dive and cannot be predicted by just looking down at the water. Some dives have to be called because conditions change. I have been on several dives where the current had us drifting in one direction, then switch and go back the other way (has happened to us twice in Cozumel). It was a sunny clear day both times and boat capt could see us clearly so no issues.

The waves were high and current unpredictable, the boat couldn't see you because of waves. It has happened to me also, dive called and we surfaced into a ragging rain storm, once again in Cozumel. No boat in sight but we kept together at surface and the boat capt did find us after a few minutes of searching. It does happen even with the best dive ops sometimes due to changing conditions.

I do agree that the DM should have had a better safety sausage, but I am sure he is working on minimum wage and probably has to buy his own gear.

Just take this experience as a learning experience, pat yourself on your back for not panicking and log it in your dive log.

robin:D

Just a quick reply to a couple of the questions - just before we left for Aruba I went to our local shop to get a SS and they were completely out, so I bought a whistle (pretty to look at but useless in our situation).

Dont get completely turned off of Pelican. I had heard good things about them too. Its just in the last few months that they bought out Unique Sports so now i've heard things (and witnessed first hand) that they each blame the other company if anything wacky goes on. Its just poor customer service that irks me, especially when safety is involved. It may be a conflict of interest for the dive employees, like the dive masters and the captain, if they call off the dive due to weather issues perhaps they dont get paid their hourly wages? As we were floating 1-2 miles out to sea (as reported in the newspaper) our dive master told us it happens all the time. Obviously he's been found before and doesnt feel stressed about having dysfunctional safety equipment. I'll be getting a SS for our next dive trip thats for sure!!

Enjoyed reading everyones thoughts!
Happy diving!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Pelican has been informed of this thread.

Just a quick reply to a couple of the questions - just before we left for Aruba I went to our local shop to get a SS and they were completely out, so I bought a whistle (pretty to look at but useless in our situation).

Whistles are only good if you're somewhat close to the boat need to get their attention quickly... like when the boat is anchored.

If the boat is running you can't really hear a whistle over a diesel engine, especially when up on throttle and running.

Get a DIVE ALERT power air horn. it works off your power inflator hose.

Now the boat still won't be able to hear it with the boat 1-2 miles away with the engine running, but it's still much better than a whistle. you can still carry your whistle as a "backup".

Here they are. They run about $42 bucks. crazy to do any drift dive without one, espcially in rough or high current seas.

Dive Alert Surface Signal Horn

ID-DAx-2T.jpg

Just a quick reply to a couple of the questions.................

Thanks for this but the question about the currents (I asked one as did Robint) is critical to understanding what could have happened. Perhaps you could clarify that for us as well.

When we surfaced after a 20 minute high speed drift dive, the dive master told our group he had to abort the dive. The dive boat was a very long distance away from us and going in the opposite direction, eventually it disappeared completely. The waves were a fair size by now, we were drifting away from the island.

Just one more note on this.... while it's not a great feeling to see the boat going the other way... it doesn't mean he's returning to port without you.

I was on a liveaboard 2 months ago and the seas weren't rough, but one day we were in prob 3-4 foot seas. now that's a little rough to be floating on the surface in gear.

Anyway, there were a couple times on drift dives we had to wait about 20 minutes to get picked up by the boat. and during these times the boat did turn the other way and motor off, a couple times it made the boat dissappear (in the wave height and because of the distance). But it was only because they were picking up other divers and simply had to turn to pick them up. It was either us or them that they had to wait on and turn either way.

while bobbing in rough seas for 20 minutes is no fun, when you come up scattered all over the place on a drift dive, that happens. It's not the boats fault because divers come up in different places. They often get seperated, or they get blown off the reef and over sand and end the dive, or some divers have better air consumption and can stay down longer and drift farther.

still not fun though to have to wait longer.... but it happens.

EDIT:

but to add one more comment, at the same time, given the conditions and the fact that you most likely had a group of divers that didn't have much experience in these type of conditions, for a "tourist dive boat", the dive operation should have gone a little further and added a bit on the side of caution and kept the divers together as a group and towed a flag/buoy. This would have made it much easier for the boat to follow the divers. (Now this is assuming that all the divers stayed together as a group as instructed by their DM. I've seen these type instructions ignored before also on boats and the divers come up seperated).

Last edited:
How long were you in the water once you surfaced?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom