Aruba Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My daughter and I are on our way to Aruba at the end of the month and are trying to determine the best operator to dive with while we are down there. Both of us are recently certified (PADI OW) and are looking forward to a great diving experience...and we want to make sure we get the best operator we can. Anyone have an recommendations?

Just got back from Aruba a few days ago.

We dove with Pelican Adventures. On the dives we went on there were divers of all different experience levels (I'm Advanced, boyfriend Instructor). We checked out 3 dive places (Pelican, Red sail & Unique). Prices for the 3 places all ran about the same. We ended up with pelican due to our schedule. No regrets there. Nice operation, very professional. Just tell them your level and what you feel comfortable with and they can suggest sites that would work for you and your daughter.

There is another thread on this site about the diving in Aruba, that you may want to check out. (I've posted my experience there).

I've heard good things about Red Sail however, they do seem to put more people on their boats. The most divers we encountered with Pelican was 7. I'm not sure if that is usual or we got lucky. Neverless, try and find out if there is a cruise in town. I know the cruise ships tend to book with Red Sail first and then work their way down to the other operators. If you don't mind 20-25 divers on a boat, then that's ok. (I personally like a smaller group).

Have a wonderful time. Aruba is great........

:thumb:

Has anyone ever heard of Mermaid Sports Divers in Aruba? Any info on them would be greatly appreciated. Have been to their web site, but would like a couple testimonials....good or bad.

Thanks

On Aruba, if there's a cruise ship coming into town, Red Sail won't book you (unless you're on the cruise ship...).

That's good...

Originally posted by Kat
Has anyone ever heard of Mermaid Sports Divers in Aruba?

I haven't dove with Mermaid yet, but the next time to Aruba I will. I've heard some good things about them, I've also read some good reviews. I dove with Red Sail the last time I was there because my wife had just finished her training and we wanted an easy dive for her. We did the Antilla, and another shallow reef. Red Sail was okay, alot of newly certified divers, and if your on the platform boat, you'll probably have some students on board. Mermaid seems to be more personal and will go out with less people. I've seen their van in town and they boast that they are "a company built by divers, run by divers, and dedicated to all kinds of divers". Sounds like a good philosophy to me. This Fall is going to be Cozumel, and then back to Aruba in the Spring (we love it there). If you decide to dive with Mermaid, let us know how you make out.:)

Here is a link to some reviews: one good, one so-so.

http://www.epinions.com/otdr-Diving_Boats-Aruba-Mermaid_Sports_Divers/display_~reviews

We just returned from our first trip to Aruba 9 days ago. We chose to make reservations with Pelican Adventures about a month before we arrived based on some good things we had seen on the Aruba forums. They have a very good dive boat(s) and we were well pleased with their emphasis on safety, good rental equipment, etc. My only concern was their no money back policy on reservations. I used my MC to make the early arrangements (not unusual) but on our first dive I found out about their policy. I had a rather long conversation with the operator that I felt that was wrong, and had not run into that situation in either Provo or St. Martin. As it turned out, the discussion probably helped on our second scheduled dive. We were the only two that showed up that morning, and they took us out anyway even tho they had a policy of diving only with a minimum number of divers (4 or 6 ?). Make sure you schedule the Antilla Ship wreck dive--a 440 ft. long German ship in 60 ft of water that was scuttled in 1941. They have a published schedule for each day and where they dive, tho it can be altered some based on conditions that morning. Their dive pier is in front of the Holiday Inn at the "High Rise" section on Palm Beach. They have a very nice Bar/ Restaurant right on the water, and our dinner there one night was memorable--Hans was both our divemaster that day and our waiter that night. Be prepared for the tradewinds--they can sandblast you on the beach!

Narc'd1,
Thanks for the web site w/ the reviews. I had never heard of them before, took a long detour from this site. Was glad to have at least 2 reviews. I will let you know which dive operation we end up using, but at this point in time we are still leaning towards Mermaid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom