Aruba For Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaucho was good, would also recommend Cuba's Cookin and the Flying Fishbone ($$$) . As far as the lighthouse...great view/sunset, but I have to say it was the worst meal I had on the Island and terrible wine selection.

highlandfarmwv:
Thank you all for the dive company tips. I have booked with Dive Aruba, and will report when I return.

Please do so that someone else may get your opinion as well when they are booking their trip. All these threads are beneficial to the other members in making decisions and planning fantastic vacactions.

Look forward to your trip report and have a wonderful time.

Highlandfarm
I think you will really enjoy diving with Clive tell him Greg & Deb from Mayberry said hey
(tell him the couple who bummed his old license plate if he doesn't remember Mayberry) he definitely lets you dive your profile
greg,

My family is planning a dive trip to Aruba in mid-January and my next step is picking a dive op. I read through this thread and have just a few questions...

I've heard great stuff about Clive at Dive Aruba from many different sources. I've also read that he is a "one-man show" - runs the operation, drives the boat, and is the divemaster. Does he leave the boat unattended while people are diving?

One mention of Mermaid in this thread implies problems with the dive op - but it doesn't say what the problems were. We are considering using them, and would like more information about the concerns.

We are hoping to get Wreck Dive Training while in Aruba. Any recommendation on an instructor for this specialty?

Thanks in advance,

JoAn

fergusonjlf:
I've heard great stuff about Clive at Dive Aruba from many different sources. I've also read that he is a "one-man show" - runs the operation, drives the boat, and is the divemaster. Does he leave the boat unattended while people are diving?

I've heard that Clive does dive some with the folks, but I've never heard a single person complain about him or any problems with him doing this. I don't know the details so can's say more...

One mention of Mermaid in this thread implies problems with the dive op - but it doesn't say what the problems were. We are considering using them, and would like more information about the concerns.

I've never used them, but I've seen LOTS of negative info on them on other threads and other message boards there have been a lot of negative comments on Mermaid. Also alleged "touching" of female divers in inappropiate ways. People have also reported getting home to find over charges on their credit cards. Also other negative poor treatment. Both PADI and NAUI have blacklisted the owner as an instructor also.

You can find they are no longer associated with NAUI here on this website. Search for mermaid and Carlos Hill
http://www.naui.com/quality_assurance.php

It used to be on PADI's website also, but their new site is so slow you can't find anything on it.

Now like I said, I've never used them but saw tons of negative comments about them on the Aruba.com message board. I'm sure that some folks have had a great experience with them also, but I choose not to use them based on the negative information. Why would I when there are several other shops that people rave about?

Here's one negative review of a female diver that was inappropiately touched underwater.
Female divers - Stay away
http://www.epinions.com/content_109561941636

Read this thread about Mermaid and the letter from NAUI of the problems they had with Carlos (the owner) and sexually assualting a female diver
http://www.aruba.com/msgbrd/read.php?f=6&i=633&t=633

Author: Sandra (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: 09-20-01 22:56

Copying my message to Naui Representative (and his reply):
Philip Eslinger wrote:
We just returned from Aruba where we did five dives with Mermaid Divers
(Carlos). On a night dive Carlos left his own inexperienced dive buddy &
grabbed the hand of a girl (Rachel) we had taken on vacation with us. He
swam off with her & proceeded to sexually harass her underwater at a depth
of approximately 60'. He refused to allow us to turn on our dive lights
during the dive & it is apparent now why! Rachel was panic stricken as she
surfaced & later explained why after she was safely away from him. We filed
a complaint with the Aruba Tourism Authority & they are turning it over to
the police. Evidently, this is not the first time Carlos has done something
like this! I was further horrified to learn he has not been Padi certified
since 1992 even though he advertises he is both Padi & Naui on his Website &
at his place of business. I am notifying you to hopefully prevent a possible
tradgedy due to his irresponsible & unsafe actions. Thank You, Sandra
Eslinger

Donna - My research indicates that Mr. Carlos Daniel Hill formerly NAUI # 13457 chose to resign his membership to avoid termination for sexually harrassing students. His resignation was effective Oct 8, 1998 and is irreversable. I hope you can find away to pursue this legally down there but it appears he has been getting away with this for sometime even though it has been reported to the Aruba government. BTW he is posted as resigned on the NAUI website. I was able to bring up his website and I will be sending him a letter telling him to cease and desist using any reference to NAUI.

--
Sincerely,
Frank J. Toal Jr.
Training Representative
NAUI Worldwide
1232 Tech Boulevard
Tampa, FL 33619-7832

To be fair, other divers have used them and had a great time. But if you search the Aruba.com message boards you'll find mostly 90% negative comments about Mermaid.

Like I said, to me it was an easy decision not to use them.

fergusonjlf:
My family is planning a dive trip to Aruba in mid-January and my next step is picking a dive op. I read through this thread and have just a few questions...

We are hoping to get Wreck Dive Training while in Aruba. Any recommendation on an instructor for this specialty?

Thanks in advance,

JoAn
Yes the boat is unattended during dives but its no big deal as Clive is very well known to everyone and I don't think anyone would bother anything. Clive is definitely a one man operation but everything is very professional you will not be pampered but you will have fun its like going out on a friends boat very laid back. any other questions just pm or post them.
greg

mike_s:
I've heard that Clive does dive some with the folks, but I've never heard a single person complain about him or any problems with him doing this. I don't know the details so can's say more...

I've never used them, but I've seen LOTS of negative info on them on other threads and other message boards there have been a lot of negative comments on Mermaid. Also alleged "touching" of female divers in inappropiate ways. People have also reported getting home to find over charges on their credit cards. Also other negative poor treatment. Both PADI and NAUI have blacklisted the owner as an instructor also.

You can find they are no longer associated with NAUI here on this website. Search for mermaid and Carlos Hill
http://www.naui.com/quality_assurance.php

It used to be on PADI's website also, but their new site is so slow you can't find anything on it.

Now like I said, I've never used them but saw tons of negative comments about them on the Aruba.com message board. I'm sure that some folks have had a great experience with them also, but I choose not to use them based on the negative information. Why would I when there are several other shops that people rave about?

Here's one negative review of a female diver that was inappropiately touched underwater.
Female divers - Stay away
http://www.epinions.com/content_109561941636

Read this thread about Mermaid and the letter from NAUI of the problems they had with Carlos (the owner) and sexually assualting a female diver
http://www.aruba.com/msgbrd/read.php?f=6&i=633&t=633

To be fair, other divers have used them and had a great time. But if you search the Aruba.com message boards you'll find mostly 90% negative comments about Mermaid.

Like I said, to me it was an easy decision not to use them.

ARUBA! What happens there ....... STAYS THERE!

Mawg:
ARUBA! What happens there ....... STAYS THERE!

Au contraire. Thankfully, it does in fact not stay there. People use this board and other's opinions to plan dive trips. One can take another's thoughts, wether they be good, bad, or indifferent, and make their own decisions based on another's experience. This place is a valuable tool for others to use in their planning and goes a long way to ensure one's dive trip turns out the best it can be.

Thanks for all of the input... Mermaid's is out... And I sent an email to Clive (Dive Aruba) this morning asking for some information.

I agree with Misdirected's comments about the usefullness of boards to learn this kind of information. I tend to read all of the comments and ignore if there are just a few negative comments (some people are NEVER happy) but become concerned when I see several negative comments.

Like I said - thanks for all of the input!

JoAn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom