Aruba Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheFife

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got back from 5 days of diving in Aruba and I wanted to share a brief overview of my trip. My wife is a non diver and I wanted to find a location that she would enjoy as much as I would. My only tropical diving to date has been the Florida keys. Aruba wasn't the first choice that came up when searching these boards for a dive centric trip, but I wanted something that would be a good topside destination as well. In the end I was blown away by the quality of the diving.

Dive Op:
I went with JADS based on all of the reviews I found. Based on my experience, and everything I saw from other operations when I was on the island, JADS was a very good choice. The captain was great and all of the dive masters did a fantastic job. The boat is docked near the airport, and leaves at 9:00am for 2 tank dives. They offer transport to the dock, but I rented a car for the week. The sites take about 10 minutes to get to on average. The dives are done as basic drift dives. Everyone gets in the water and then the dive master leads the group down. Some dives can be deep, one wreck had the bottom around 140ft. However, anyone with only OW was led by a separate DM and stayed at 60ft or higher. As soon as someone gets to 800 psi, the DM takes them up, but lets others (as long as there are 2 or more) stay below. My average dive length was 60 minutes throughout my 10 dives. I always had more air, but the DM ended the dives once they got to an hour. Once everyone is back on the boat, they do a 60 minute SI in a fairly sheltered area. The second dive is normally shallower. JADS was very safety conscious, and didn't allow anyone to do a second dive who blew their safety stop. As a side note, I was a single diver, and they didn't force the awkward "fake buddy" assignment. A DM was always part of the dive. Even when I was the only diver who was able to go to a deeper wreck, the DM and I went together, and I didn't pay any extra.

Dive Sites:
Aruba is more known for wrecks than reefs, but I personally found the reefs to be far better than expected. Of the wrecks I did, the Jane Sea (especially the wheel house) was a complete standout. It was far more life covered than anything I have ever seen in the keys. JADS runs a weekly schedule, so anyone visiting Aruba should find a way to dive the day they go to the Jane Sea. That said, the rest of the wrecks were nothing special in my mind.

Sea Life:
The reefs were the real highlight of my trip. I am a coral fanatic, and I was very happy to see the reefs around Aruba for that reason. They are healthier and far more lush than I expected. While I saw very little staghorn and elkhorn coral, there was a lot more thriving hard coral than I thought would be there. Huge maze brains, lettuce corals, star corals, and others abounded. There were also the huge number of soft corals and sponges you would expect in the southern Caribbean. As for the stuff most people care about: I saw manta rays, sea turtles, 2 nurse sharks (they came out of a small cave less than 10 feet in front of me), barracudas, octopus, spiny lobster, moray and leopard eels, leafy lettuce slugs, rainbow parrotfish, trumpet fish, sea cucumbers, grouper, flounder, etc. There wasn't an abundance of "big stuff", but I found every dive exciting and expect most people would as well.

Aruba Topside:
Everyone has different expectations topside. Some don't care about the accommodations and aren't picky eaters. Others just want to party. For those, I am confident that Aruba has options available, most likely around the Eagle beach area or off the beach entirely. Myself, I like to live it up on vacation, though I don't drink. I want to stay at a nice place and enjoy fine dining. I stayed at Manchebo Beach. It is a smaller hotel with a huge beautiful beach, and some very nice restaurants (we didn't opt for all inclusive, but it was an option). While pricey, it was exactly what my wife and I were after. That said, I am happy to lay on the beach all afternoon while listening to music and reading books. If you are looking for more activities, I don't know that Aruba has much to offer.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, I think Aruba has a lot to offer anyone looking to dive the Caribbean. It isn't the hardcore dive destination that Bonaire is advertised as. But, for those content to dive 2 tanks a day (and the occasional afternoon shore dive or night dive) and want an island with good food and sandy beaches, Aruba could be a good choice.

Bonus Video:
Here is a video I took while there. Disclaimer, this is the very first time I have ever used a GoPro, let alone done underwater video. I rented the camera for $35 from the dive shop. I only used it on 2 of my 10 dives, so I didn't get a chance to capture a lot of the best dives. I apologize for the quality, but hopefully it gives you an idea of the diving.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
TheFife,
Thank you for sharing your review. At this time, Aruba is easier to get to from FL, as compared to Bonaire. Hopefully that will get resolved sometime soon.

When you mention occasional shore dives, how is that done? Are you able to pick up tanks and keep them in a truck? Can you shore dive like in Bonaire? Are you autonomous or depend on dive operator boating and guiding around?

Thank you,
Ricardo

TheFife,
Thank you for sharing your review. At this time, Aruba is easier to get to from FL, as compared to Bonaire. Hopefully that will get resolved sometime soon.

When you mention occasional shore dives, how is that done? Are you able to pick up tanks and keep them in a truck? Can you shore dive like in Bonaire? Are you autonomous or depend on dive operator boating and guiding around?

Thank you,
Ricardo
I too found that getting to Aruba was cheaper for me than Bonaire, Caymans, Curacao, Cozumel, etc.

I didn't shore dive myself, but it was something offered by JADS. They will do guided trips for sure. I believe you can also just rent tanks from them and go on your own. Beaches are all public, so entry shouldn't be a problem, but its worth checking with someone more knowledgable. There are a handful of good spots as I understand it. Arashi reef, Mangel Halto, and Baby Beach were some of the spots that were mentioned. My guess is you could do morning boat dives, and then shore dive in the afternoon on your own, if you wanted to cram in as many dives as possible.

I just got back from 5 days of diving in Aruba and I wanted to share a brief overview of my trip. My wife is a non diver and I wanted to find a location that she would enjoy as much as I would. My only tropical diving to date has been the Florida keys. Aruba wasn't the first choice that came up when searching these boards for a dive centric trip, but I wanted something that would be a good topside destination as well. In the end I was blown away by the quality of the diving.

Dive Op:
I went with JADS based on all of the reviews I found. Based on my experience, and everything I saw from other operations when I was on the island, JADS was a very good choice. The captain was great and all of the dive masters did a fantastic job. The boat is docked near the airport, and leaves at 9:00am for 2 tank dives. They offer transport to the dock, but I rented a car for the week. The sites take about 10 minutes to get to on average. The dives are done as basic drift dives. Everyone gets in the water and then the dive master leads the group down. Some dives can be deep, one wreck had the bottom around 140ft. However, anyone with only OW was led by a separate DM and stayed at 60ft or higher. As soon as someone gets to 800 psi, the DM takes them up, but lets others (as long as there are 2 or more) stay below. My average dive length was 60 minutes throughout my 10 dives. I always had more air, but the DM ended the dives once they got to an hour. Once everyone is back on the boat, they do a 60 minute SI in a fairly sheltered area. The second dive is normally shallower. JADS was very safety conscious, and didn't allow anyone to do a second dive who blew their safety stop. As a side note, I was a single diver, and they didn't force the awkward "fake buddy" assignment. A DM was always part of the dive. Even when I was the only diver who was able to go to a deeper wreck, the DM and I went together, and I didn't pay any extra.

Dive Sites:
Aruba is more known for wrecks than reefs, but I personally found the reefs to be far better than expected. Of the wrecks I did, the Jane Sea (especially the wheel house) was a complete standout. It was far more life covered than anything I have ever seen in the keys. JADS runs a weekly schedule, so anyone visiting Aruba should find a way to dive the day they go to the Jane Sea. That said, the rest of the wrecks were nothing special in my mind.

Sea Life:
The reefs were the real highlight of my trip. I am a coral fanatic, and I was very happy to see the reefs around Aruba for that reason. They are healthier and far more lush than I expected. While I saw very little staghorn and elkhorn coral, there was a lot more thriving hard coral than I thought would be there. Huge maze brains, lettuce corals, star corals, and others abounded. There were also the huge number of soft corals and sponges you would expect in the southern Caribbean. As for the stuff most people care about: I saw manta rays, sea turtles, 2 nurse sharks (they came out of a small cave less than 10 feet in front of me), barracudas, octopus, spiny lobster, moray and leopard eels, leafy lettuce slugs, rainbow parrotfish, trumpet fish, sea cucumbers, grouper, flounder, etc. There wasn't an abundance of "big stuff", but I found every dive exciting and expect most people would as well.

Aruba Topside:
Everyone has different expectations topside. Some don't care about the accommodations and aren't picky eaters. Others just want to party. For those, I am confident that Aruba has options available, most likely around the Eagle beach area or off the beach entirely. Myself, I like to live it up on vacation, though I don't drink. I want to stay at a nice place and enjoy fine dining. I stayed at Manchebo Beach. It is a smaller hotel with a huge beautiful beach, and some very nice restaurants (we didn't opt for all inclusive, but it was an option). While pricey, it was exactly what my wife and I were after. That said, I am happy to lay on the beach all afternoon while listening to music and reading books. If you are looking for more activities, I don't know that Aruba has much to offer.

In conclusion, I think Aruba has a lot to offer anyone looking to dive the Caribbean. It isn't the hardcore dive destination that Bonaire is advertised as. But, for those content to dive 2 tanks a day (and the occasional afternoon shore dive or night dive) and want an island with good food and sandy beaches, Aruba could be a good choice.
Agreed - I've dived with JADs for the last 3 years and will dive with them again in February. They are a great dive op. I also find the reefs awesome with healthy corals and full of sea life. The Jane Sea is a nice site - hopefully, the wheelhouse will stay upright when the starboard hull side collapses (port side collapsed about 2 years ago). These clips were from last March and show the growth on the wheelhouse and bow:

Question for those that have dived with JADS. The OP mentioned that OW divers were only brought down to 60 feet. We are scheduled to dive with them next week and a couple of the dives are supposedly down to 100 (Jane Sea Wreck). Was this a strict rule they had? We only have our OW and would find it pretty pointless to dive down to 60 feet for a 100 foot wreck dive. We have done multiple dives down to 100 feet before and there's never been a distinction between OW and AOW divers during those dives. Hope that as OW divers we are not gonna be restricted to 60 feet through JADS. Any insight into their policies?

Nice review and great video!
Headed down after New Years; Will definitely look into JADS. Are reservations required? I am AOW with Nitrox cert as well, but 60' is fine for me; Gas lasts longer, and the reefs are usually warmer.

BTW: What was the water temp & what exposure suits did you use? Looked like full 3mm from the video; Anyone diving shorties?
-PH

I exchanged email with JADS; Apparently they have had consistency issues with getting Nitrox, so looks like I'll be diving O2. Anyone have any feedback about Nitrox on Aruba?
-PH

This past January temperatures were 78/79F. And I've not found Nitrox on Aruba nor a tech community which usually would at least bring partial pressure blending. I gather the view is that there is not much call for it. Also, it seems that diving is not the primary recreational travel activity on Aruba but more a side activity unlike other places (like Bonaire, Cayman Brac, Roatan, etc.) Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy diving Aruba and have made some good friends there ... diving the north / east side is excellent even if it's a bit tougher to get to.

This past January temperatures were 78/79F. And I've not found Nitrox on Aruba nor a tech community which usually would at least bring partial pressure blending. I gather the view is that there is not much call for it. Also, it seems that diving is not the primary recreational travel activity on Aruba but more a side activity unlike other places (like Bonaire, Cayman Brac, Roatan, etc.) Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy diving Aruba and have made some good friends there ... diving the north / east side is excellent even if it's a bit tougher to get to.

Hey Carl, I see you are an instructor so I don't know how much you used a dive shop; however, do you know of a good shop that dives the NE side? I am an AOW with 150-200 dives. I'll be in Aruba first time for five days beginning 17Feb18 (then Bonaire for 5 days, then Curacuo 5 days). Any advice you can pass my way as far as diving & accommodations would be very much appreciated.

Hey Carl, I see you are an instructor so I don't know how much you used a dive shop; however, do you know of a good shop that dives the NE side? I am an AOW with 150-200 dives. I'll be in Aruba first time for five days beginning 17Feb18 (then Bonaire for 5 days, then Curacuo 5 days). Any advice you can pass my way as far as diving & accommodations would be very much appreciated.

We just got back from a 6 day trip to Aruba. I'll write up a trip report this week, but I can also recommend JADS diving in Aruba. More to come.
-PH

Back
Top Bottom