As a CMAS 1 diver, should I go for SSI Deep diver+Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zixzax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I am diving only for recreational reason. I have a CMAS 1 of MSDA (Mauritius).
I dived with a DM and she offered a combo of SSI specialties (deep diver+nitrox) at a rate pretty much the same with an Padi AOW.
Is this a good option as I can dive to the depth of 40m and can use Nitrox with this combo specialties.
Thanks.

While I'd strongly recommend getting nitrox certified (IMNSHO it should be included in OW/1* or at least in 2*), I have to ask: why do you want to take the deep cert? There are a few issues with diving deep rec which requires a certain awareness which far from every OW/1* diver has, and personally I don't see much point in going deep unless there's something down there I won't see if I stay shallower.

Reactions: Zef
While I'd strongly recommend getting nitrox certified (IMNSHO it should be included in OW/1* or at least in 2*), I have to ask: why do you want to take the deep cert? There are a few issues with diving deep rec which requires a certain awareness which far from every OW/1* diver has, and personally I don't see much point in going deep unless there's something down there I won't see if I stay shallower.
Hi Storker. Thanks for your prompt reply.
The DM said deep diver specialty is highly recommended because there is much more to see at a deeper level.
I am also thinking about an option of upgrading my CMAS to level 2, which allows 40m depth. But it does not include Nitrox... But from what you have proposed, CMAS 2 seems to be not necessary for a recreational diver, as it just makes it deeper and I can dive independently with buddy.

> I am also thinking about an option of upgrading my CMAS to level 2, which allows 40m depth. But it does not include Nitrox...
There should be also a very short Nitrox 1* course available. Which to the newest CMAS standards no longer requires any dives to complete.
> CMAS 2 seems to be not necessary for a recreational diver, as it just makes it deeper and I can dive independently with buddy.
Depends on what you want to do, and the diving locations... but wouldn't recommend a stand-alone "deep cert" as 1*.

> I am also thinking about an option of upgrading my CMAS to level 2, which allows 40m depth. But it does not include Nitrox...
There should be also a very short Nitrox 1* course available. Which to the newest CMAS standards no longer requires any dives to complete.
> CMAS 2 seems to be not necessary for a recreational diver, as it just makes it deeper and I can dive independently with buddy.
Depends on what you want to do, and the diving locations... but wouldn't recommend a stand-alone "deep cert" as 1*.
Hi Oitzu. Thanks for the comments.
Could you explain more about "Depends on what you want to do, and the diving locations.."
Thanks.

The DM said deep diver specialty is highly recommended because there is much more to see at a deeper level.
That's of course site-specific, but I'd take exception to that as a blanket statement. Where I dive, there's noticeably less life below 25-ish meters, so if you want to see ocean life you'll want to stay shallower than that. Besides, while you have some 45 minutes of no-deco time at 20m you have only some 20 minutes at 30m and only about 10 minutes at 40m. Then there's stuff like gas reserves and nitrogen narcosis¹. Diving deeper comes at a cost, a cost I'm not willing to pay unless I have a reason to go deeper. Like wrecks, which usually are better preserved at depth.

I am also thinking about an option of upgrading my CMAS to level 2, which allows 40m depth. But it does not include Nitrox... But from what you have proposed, CMAS 2 seems to be not necessary for a recreational diver, as it just makes it deeper and I can dive independently with buddy.
I'd strongly recommend taking 2*. While 1* - like PADI OW - basically teaches you to dive without killing yourself, 2* teaches you to be a decent diver. At least if you get a decent instructor. Even if the depth limit wasn't extended, I'd say go for it.

Disclaimer: this is based on the content of the 1* and 2* classes in my part of the world and may not be valid in your part of the world. But go to CMAS.org and check the standards and syllabi for the different dive cert levels. Those are minimum standards that every CMAS class has to fulfil.

¹ Which can be pretty damned scary. If your dive count is correct, you'll probably be so task loaded just diving that you won't even notice the onset of narcosis before it's pretty severe. Narcosis -- insidious and subtle

Hi,

I would actually say the DM made a pretty reasonable suggestion. You will learn a lot about gas management and diving physics during the deep and nitrox courses. I would consider this combination a much deeper education than PADI AOWD. I also do not share the view that CMAS** would be automatically the better route (though for sure in itself broader in scope than the 2 specials): this may entirely depend on what you are interested in and with which agency you plan to continue your education. There are interesting things to see at greater depth. At some sites e.g. corals will be found only beyond 30m. Lastly, do not let yourself be scared out of a deep special by thinking that narcosis will always be scary and very dangerous. It is something to consider, but something that can even be an interesting part of the world. Your instructor will be there to cover your back on your first steps.

Please consider that in contrast to us here, the DM has seen you dive and also will know what is to see at which depth at the sites she is working. In your case, I would probably put more trust in her words than in those in an online forum by us, who do neither know you nor the sites you are diving (although for sure additional ideas are always good).

Have fun!

Dominik

CMAS** was a good class that avanced skills in a whole lot of areas from navigation to finning techniques as well as gas management and dive planning. I would happily have taken CMAS** even after having done a deep diving course.

Hi,

I would actually say the DM made a pretty reasonable suggestion. You will learn a lot about gas management and diving physics during the deep and nitrox courses. I would consider this combination a much deeper education than PADI AOWD. I also do not share the view that CMAS** would be automatically the better route (though for sure in itself broader in scope than the 2 specials): this may entirely depend on what you are interested in and with which agency you plan to continue your education. There are interesting things to see at greater depth. At some sites e.g. corals will be found only beyond 30m. Lastly, do not let yourself be scared out of a deep special by thinking that narcosis will always be scary and very dangerous. It is something to consider, but something that can even be an interesting part of the world. Your instructor will be there to cover your back on your first steps.

Please consider that in contrast to us here, the DM has seen you dive and also will know what is to see at which depth at the sites she is working. In your case, I would probably put more trust in her words than in those in an online forum by us, who do neither know you nor the sites you are diving (although for sure additional ideas are always good).

Have fun!

Dominik
Hi Dominik,
Yes. The DM said she watched me dive and then gave me that advice. She said she would not recommend to anyone. I guesss in that dive with a bit of current maybe she saw me using gopro in a fairly stable position underwater. I will talk to her later. Thanks for advice!

Back
Top Bottom