Ascending aortic aneurysm and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been fairly healthy most of life, practicing TKD and competitive bodybuilding and powerlifting. Got married, full time career etc put on a good amount of weight but manage to get to the gym and working on keeping a healthy lifestyle and lose some of this excess weight.

Been diving 3+ years, close to 100 dives and just recently was diagnosed with a slight aortic aneurysm in the ascending area, and another one in the abdominal area. My cardiologist is still running tests (stress test on Tuesday), has strictly advised me to stop heavy weightlifting.

My concern is he will tell me not to scuba dive any more. This is one passion I cannot live without, I spoke with DAN they said the water pressure isn't the issue, instead it's the walking around with full gear on the boat, climbing back in the boat, dealing with currents etc, basically anything where I am exerting myself and my blood pressure goes up.

The aneurism is small but he doesn't want me to risk it getting bigger. I need to know what he means by no lifting "heavy weights". In the gym, okay for now not lifting at all and just doing cardio. But what about light weights? Scuba diving? As long as my bp doesn't skyrocket I should be okay, right? My bp has always been very good.

Anyone else experience or experiencing these issues? Am I over-concerned or justified? Do I need to cancel my Cozumel trip?

Well, the heavy gear issue is somewhat solved by putting your BC/tank on in the water, and handing it up before climbing the ladder.

Eric,

You may want to ask your cardiologist for clarification. You've already described some of the exertion involved with diving; any of those can increase blood pressure, as can immersing yourself in cold water. I wouldn't push it. The consequences of a ruptured aneurysm are potentially grave.

Best regards,
DDM

Seriously, listen to your doctor. I would consider even recreational diving on par with lifting weights + cardio. Coming out of the water wet on a recreational dive, you could easily be hoisting 70+ lbs of gear. Add to that, heat stress, current exertion ect., and diving is actually a sport.

I've been fairly healthy most of life, practicing TKD and competitive bodybuilding and powerlifting. Got married, full time career etc put on a good amount of weight but manage to get to the gym and working on keeping a healthy lifestyle and lose some of this excess weight.

Been diving 3+ years, close to 100 dives and just recently was diagnosed with a slight aortic aneurysm in the ascending area, and another one in the abdominal area. My cardiologist is still running tests (stress test on Tuesday), has strictly advised me to stop heavy weightlifting.

My concern is he will tell me not to scuba dive any more. This is one passion I cannot live without, I spoke with DAN they said the water pressure isn't the issue, instead it's the walking around with full gear on the boat, climbing back in the boat, dealing with currents etc, basically anything where I am exerting myself and my blood pressure goes up.

The aneurism is small but he doesn't want me to risk it getting bigger. I need to know what he means by no lifting "heavy weights". In the gym, okay for now not lifting at all and just doing cardio. But what about light weights? Scuba diving? As long as my bp doesn't skyrocket I should be okay, right? My bp has always been very good.

Anyone else experience or experiencing these issues? Am I over-concerned or justified? Do I need to cancel my Cozumel trip?
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. And tough decision but I think you need more information from your cardiologist before you can make any firm plans. I agree you need a clearer definition of "heavy weight lifting" and if this was his only suggestion I wonder just how significant those "small aneurysms" are at present.

No medical knowledge to offer, just some personal thoughts. If truely significant, is it a life long risk? I assume yes even if you were a candidate for repair. What are the exact risks for progression? How much are you willing to limit your life? Only you and your family can answer this one.

I was on a dive boat in Florida when I notice that the dive buddy of a young female diver and the boat crew were doing almost everything for her. Carry gear, set it up. When time to splash, she would walk to the dive platform and sit on the edge, don her gear then drop off the edge with her dive buddy already in the water. On exit, she would completely doff her gear in the water to climb back on. This is not standard entries or exits for this area or boat. I finally asked about it. I was told she has an inoperable aneurysm (I assume brain), knows it will likely get her eventually and chooses to dive but mitigate the risks as much as possible.

Clearly this is degrees beyond your circumstances but still a similar choice.

As for diving Coz, I have never been on any less physically challenging dive trip. I would think its a perfect choice if you do decide to continue diving. The dive op handles the gear. Gear up and back roll from that spot. Easy doff in the water for the crew to lift up. They even switch over the tanks.

And unlike the Florida drift diving where the currents are often unpredictable, I have had it reverse mid-dive, try to blow me off the reef or even had to swim long distances against it to reach the reef, Cozumel drift diving seems predictable. I at least have never had to swim any significant amount against the current though sometimes I have had to work a bit to stay stationary.

So if after a lengthy discussion with your doctor and your family you decide its worth the risk, Cozumel may be a good choice.

But please but up front with the risks with your buddy and/group/dive op even if they do not require a signed RSTC.

Last edited:
Nobody here can answer your questions. Generally, aneurysms become dangerous when they reach a certain size. You don't want to do anything that increases that risk. If you are a smoker, quit today. your doctors are likely looking into certain genetic or other causes, especially since you have more than one aneurysm. Your docs are the people who know you, so follow their advice. Be honest with them about potential stresses in diving if they are not familiar with the sport.

Hi everyone thank you for your replies and your support. I was waiting to get my stress test done today before commenting further, and brought my wife with me so I don't screw up what he said LOL

So my thoracic aorta is dilated to 4.5, which is considered an aneurysm. This was first discovered 4 years ago and despite on/off weight training which included powerlifting/heavy weight lifting, nothing has changed since 4 years ago Thank God. Why did I lift? One, because I got a 2nd opinion at the hospital I work at and had a full cardio work up and was told they do not see an aneurysm. Two, because I honestly forgot what this cardiologist warned me about heavy weightlifting and three because I enjoy it. After climbing up 8 flights of stairs at work and my heart beating out of my chest and not being able to breath fast enough and going into a panic, this caused me to follow up again and go back to my original cardiologist, who did confirm through the electrocardiagram I have an aneurism. I can normally go on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes at pace of 3.4 to 3.7 and be a little winded at the end but nothing major. Same with biking at 85 to 105 rpm. The stair climb was a stressor, and I went into a panic when I couldn't catch my breath fast enough. Similar thing happened 2 years ago when camping and a large queen hornet was attacking me and I ran like a psychotic horse out of a burning barn, swinging and punching and suddenly found myself gasping and panicking. I may have something asthma or lung related which I will check next. Of course it's obvious I do need to lose weight. Fat or muscle, it's still extra weight the heart has to support and work harder.

The stress test results came up negative, meaning the muscles in my heart behaved as they should, my heart rate went up as it should have, and I did very well, both sides of heart working as they should. No abnormalities, everything was very positive.

I was told I need to stop lifting heavy, which I have. I asked about light weight training with high reps, he said should be okay as long as weights are light. Walking, swimming, snorkeling are okay. I asked about scuba diving, he said he doesn't know enough about it to give me an educated answer, I just need to avoid lifting/hoisting anything heavy. I was told to stop smoking (I have a cigar literally once every 2-4 months). Stopping cold turkey and getting rid of them.

Told him water pressure is not the issue, its moving my dive bag from hotel room to car, from car to dock, then putting on 70 lbs gear and walking to edge of boat, then climbing back on after completing dive, removal of gear to car/hotel room.

He said for a guy my size and my strength 70 lbs shouldn't be an issue just make sure I take it easy.

Follow up in 1 month, CT scan most likely to follow. Need to keep my blood pressure, heart rate and aneurism monitored obviously.

So I guess for now diving is back in! I'm very excited and happy but will be cautious.

Well, good luck and take care

Hi everyone thank you for your replies and your support. I was waiting to get my stress test done today before commenting further, and brought my wife with me so I don't screw up what he said LOL

So my thoracic aorta is dilated to 4.5, which is considered an aneurysm. This was first discovered 4 years ago and despite on/off weight training which included powerlifting/heavy weight lifting, nothing has changed since 4 years ago Thank God. Why did I lift? One, because I got a 2nd opinion at the hospital I work at and had a full cardio work up and was told they do not see an aneurysm. Two, because I honestly forgot what this cardiologist warned me about heavy weightlifting and three because I enjoy it. After climbing up 8 flights of stairs at work and my heart beating out of my chest and not being able to breath fast enough and going into a panic, this caused me to follow up again and go back to my original cardiologist, who did confirm through the electrocardiagram I have an aneurism. I can normally go on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes at pace of 3.4 to 3.7 and be a little winded at the end but nothing major. Same with biking at 85 to 105 rpm. The stair climb was a stressor, and I went into a panic when I couldn't catch my breath fast enough. Similar thing happened 2 years ago when camping and a large queen hornet was attacking me and I ran like a psychotic horse out of a burning barn, swinging and punching and suddenly found myself gasping and panicking. I may have something asthma or lung related which I will check next. Of course it's obvious I do need to lose weight. Fat or muscle, it's still extra weight the heart has to support and work harder.

The stress test results came up negative, meaning the muscles in my heart behaved as they should, my heart rate went up as it should have, and I did very well, both sides of heart working as they should. No abnormalities, everything was very positive.

I was told I need to stop lifting heavy, which I have. I asked about light weight training with high reps, he said should be okay as long as weights are light. Walking, swimming, snorkeling are okay. I asked about scuba diving, he said he doesn't know enough about it to give me an educated answer, I just need to avoid lifting/hoisting anything heavy. I was told to stop smoking (I have a cigar literally once every 2-4 months). Stopping cold turkey and getting rid of them.

Told him water pressure is not the issue, its moving my dive bag from hotel room to car, from car to dock, then putting on 70 lbs gear and walking to edge of boat, then climbing back on after completing dive, removal of gear to car/hotel room.

He said for a guy my size and my strength 70 lbs shouldn't be an issue just make sure I take it easy.

Follow up in 1 month, CT scan most likely to follow. Need to keep my blood pressure, heart rate and aneurism monitored obviously.

So I guess for now diving is back in! I'm very excited and happy but will be cautious.

Eric, I realize that this is an old post I found while searching - for obvious reason. Do you have any update? Still diving? Precautions? Any additional information?

Thanks, Tim

Back
Top Bottom