Ascent after grabbing a runaway diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster59

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a hypothetical question. You're in a group doing a wall dive, 8 instabuddies off a boat. 70 fsw, 10 min into the dive. All divers agreed to stick together on depth, all have 80cft tanks. One diver starts going down slowly, gets to 100 and looks to keep going. Exhale bubbles are normal, diver is moving normally. Your SPG reads 2000 psi. So you go after them immediately. You grab their BC strap at 120 fsw and slowly start up. They are conscious, aware, and breathing. No resistance to you, no BC malfunction, etc. They agree to go up, no signs of panic. Your SPG has 1200 psi. You have full control of both of your ascents.

Is there any other consideration on the ascent other than 30 fpm to about 65 ft, slow down to 10 fpm to the safety stop, and hang maybe 10 min instead of 3? Assume gas is good, other divers went up with you with gas to share. "Victim"s computer doesn't make a lot of sense to you. I'm interested in a "guaranteed good" ascent.

I think you pretty much nailed it. Actually 10 minutes might even be more conservative than you need. As long as gas is good, and you're at safety stop depth no reason to not do the 10 minutes though just in case. I suppose since it is instabuddies you don't have any way to know if the other guy has previous nitrogen load, so super conservative never hurts.

Back
Top Bottom