Ascent Rate Indicator in Big Seas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShoalDiverSA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Finally got my fins wet after a 3.5 month break. We dived on Saturday, Sunday and yesterday at Sodwana Bay. The sea conditions have not been very good lately on the KZN coast (there was a cyclone 3000kms offshore a few weeks ago - not sure if there is anything around still).

But anyway, I experienced something interesting with my Cobra. The surface swells were up to 2.5m high, which resulted in a lot of surge at the bottom.

Each time a large swell passed overhead, the depth display would first decrease and then increase rapidly and then return to "actual" depth. Of course, when this happened, the ascent rate indicator bar graph would grow until the SLOW indicator came on and the alarm would sound.

Naturally, after 10 minutes of this, the Cobra was rather "upset" with me and the STOP indicator came on. Once we completed the dive (I still had 30 minutes of No-Deco time left when the STOP indicator came on), we ascended to the safety stop (or in my case Mandatory Stop). I was given a CEILING of 3m for 4 minutes. I advised the DM of this and he signalled that it would be no problem to hang around for the extra minute.

Naturally, the safety stop was challenging with large swells passing overhead - keeping your depth between 3 and 6m is, shall I say, interesting.

The CEILING indicator cleared after one minute and the normal 3 minute countdown commenced. The timer timed out and the group ascended to the surface. Once we managed to get back into the RIB, I told the group about it and two other divers in the group had the same 4 minute indication (Gekko and Vyper respectively).

I would not expect Suunto to add an option to damp the response of the ascent rate graph, as this would make the tool pretty useless for its intended function. Anyway, it makes sense that I was effectively diving a sawtooth profile (in terms of the effective depth that I was diving at during the dive), so it makes sense that I be "penalised" during the stop.

I found this experience interesting and thought I would share it. The only midly irritating part was the beeping every now and again on the dive.

Cheers,

Andrew

Its fairly common. The computer is measuring your real depth which although wont exactly match the rise/fall of the swell will measure the effect of it especially if its a longish wavelength swell. The suuntos hate up/down profiles and will often dial in a mandatory safety stop as a result (every dive they give an OPTIONAL 3 minute stop which can be ignored but mandatory will penalise you next dive if broken). I ended up with 7 mins of stops after a no-stop dive within NDL and a saw tooth style ascent the other week. Its worth checking the things regulary on the ascent even if well within NDLs in case of things like that.

Hmmm, last week I started a thread on Acent Alarms going off. Mine sometimes goes off when I'm going up and down over reefs. I haven't dove any big swells for a while, but I sympathis. I purchased the sherwood wisdom computer. I have the option to shut of my accent alarm if I want. Maybe you Suunto can do the same. Good luck!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom