"Asia’s disappearing WWII shipwrecks" article in Guardian about grave robbing for salvage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maverick17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm not a wreck diver, and I'm pretty sure the Guardian likes to push sensationalist headlines and/or clickbait.

Nevertheless, I found this article sad and disturbing, and thought it was worth a read. Some decent graphics in here as well.

Alleges grave robbing in the name of salvaging WWII wrecks in Asia Pacific. Not sure there's a lot that can be done to stop it without direct gov't support?

The problem is that few governments in South East Asia have strict laws for Scuba Diving and protecting the reefs, fishes and Wrecks. Even if they exist they are not enforced. Countries like Thailand and Indonesia still do their part to whatever extent. Its open season in most other countries.

Governments don't understand the need for protection of these wrecks as archeological sites and thus don't bother enforcing said rules.

I just finished my Wreck Speciality and am looking at doing some Wreck Diving in Sri Lank next year, will let you know what the locals have to say on this.

There has been coverage of this in Undercurrent. Pre-1945 (atomic age) steel has a value for use in scientific instruments. The Malaysian Navy is now taking steps to protect the wrecks of the HMS Prince of Wales and the HMS Repulse.

There has been coverage of this in Undercurrent. Pre-1945 (atomic age) steel has a value for use in scientific instruments. The Malaysian Navy is now taking steps to protect the wrecks of the HMS Prince of Wales and the HMS Repulse.

Could you please add the link of the undercurrent article. Thanks.

I just finished my Wreck Speciality and am looking at doing some Wreck Diving in Sri Lank next year, will let you know what the locals have to say on this.
You need to be tec certified to dive HMS Hermes off the coast of Batticaloa.

How about those WWII wrecks on the other side of the peninsular eg. IJN Haguro?

How about those WWII wrecks on the other side of the peninsular eg. IJN Haguro?

From what I read, its been heavily salvaged already and the visibility is really bad. Two Indonesian Divers even died in 2002 at (or inside?) the Wreck.

I am doing Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures in February. Small step towards tech, but its something.

Unfortunately, I believe deeper wrecks like Hermes would be better accessed with a rebreather, which I can neither afford right now and do not believe in at this time in the current evolution of the technology.

But there are plenty of wrecks which can be accessed within Open Circuit limits in Sri Lanka in the meantime.

Any other interesting Wrecks in these limits you would suggest to add to the bucket list?

You need to be tec certified to dive HMS Hermes off the coast of Batticaloa.

Maximum depth is 52-53m so I stand corrected, I can actually dive this in March 2019 after getting more tech dives and the appropriate training.

Haguro is sitting upright at 60m and is about 55 miles(?) off the coast of Penang. We dived it a while back and the super structure was heavily damaged, the bridge was collapsed, but the five main turrets were still standing. Vis was excellent albeit a bit dark given the depth of the wreck.
As for HMS Hermes, 25 - 30mins of bottom time for OC diver. Of course CCR can extend the time but it also brings complication to the logistic eg helium.
There are a lot of wrecks along both sides of Malaysian peninsular but finding a reputable operator is another story.
USS Houston(CA30) and HMAS Perth(D29) are not too far from Jakarta at relatively shallow water but poor vis.
Cheap place to dive WWII wrecks are in Coron, Philippines.
The ghost fleet in Truk needs no introduction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom