Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJcop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I belong to many different forums (not just scuba ones), and I have several of these threads.
It's easy, simple and fun! So...

Go ahead, ask me any police/law enforcement related questions!

My background:
I'm a 31 year old police officer with 9+ years of experience. I also teach part-time (police acadamy, police science, advanced training, etc...). I work in SE Wisconsin, in a department that has about 100 sworn officers. Just finished 2005 with about 37,000 calls for service.
My disclaimer:
I'm not an attorney and this is for fun and informational purposes only. If you are in a situation that may require council, please seek an attorney.

OK, ASK AWAY!!!

Almost forgot....
Here's some answers to questions that I know will be asked:
1. Is there a quota? - No
2. Doughnuts? - sometimes
3. Coffee? - required
4. Aren't cops all a-holes and were picked on in school? No, but we have bad eggs just like all other professions.
5. Are radar detectors legal? - Depends on your local laws.
6. Do radar detectors work? - Depends
7. Do I smell bacon? - probably...it tastes sooooo good!

As you can see, I'm pretty easy going...and I have a sense of humor...I think I do...at least I try to have one!

how many DUI/DWI's does it take to actually go to jail? I see some people who have 2 and go to jail then there are others who have 8+ and still driving around.

ch0ppersrule:
how many DUI/DWI's does it take to actually go to jail? I see some people who have 2 and go to jail then there are others who have 8+ and still driving around.
In Wisconsin, the second DUI/DWI is considered "criminal". Now, that being said, the chances of you actually sitting are very slim. Unless you've caused a major accident (injuries), you aren't going to sit on a 2nd.
3rd offense reaches felony levels, so there will be some sitting...but not much. Also, on a 3rd offense, we get your car, and we get to forcibly take blood from you, since it's considered evidence at that level. (on 1st-2nd offenses we do the breath test also..but you can refuse to take that test..which leads to more penalties).
OWI/DUI/DWI gets pretty goofy depending on which offense number it is. It's sad that we have to worry about anything over a 1st offense (which I consider an error in judgement for most people...so I don't condemn them).

Good question!

If you get a ticket and the officer checks off MVA (Motor Vehicle Act) in the top of the ticket but in the description of the violation (speeding) doesn't include MVA, the MVA section code for the specific violation or the amount of fine, even though there is a labeled box for it, does this mean the ticket is void? In other words - how can I be violating the MVA if there they didn't say which section of the MVA I violated? How can I pay the fine when the fine section has been left blank? Is it a warning ticket even though it's not written on the official warning paper and instead is on official violation paper?

Whoops - I switched from second person to first person perspective. Not that that implies anything... :54:

Great idea for a thread man!!! I'll be asking stuff shortly.

What firearm do you use?
Have you ever shot someone?
When you were a kid, did you want to be a cop?

:D haha...it is a scene from the movie Super Troopers. Testing bullet proof cups. That was a funny movie. :D

Kenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom