Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,

If youÃÓe out running and you don't have an ID with you I think you are doing a disservice to yourself and your family. You could be a victim of a crime (assault, robbery, mugging)

If I don't carry an ID when running, do you think I carry cash instead?

There is nothing to rob me of! :rofl3:

Now as to your statement ÄûSPAN style="BACKGROUND: yellow; mso-highlight: yellow">I have a right to privacy and just because some cop doesn't know who I am, then he doesn't (or should have) the right to know if I haven't done anything wrongÆû/SPAN> be real my friend. How is anyone to know if you have done anything wrong? Most of the criminals I have caught were after I have stopped and questioned them when responding to a criminal complaint. And guess what they also said they did nothing wrong. [/quote]

why should I have to prove I've done nothing wrong? (when I've done nothing wrong).

sometimes I think cops forget people are innocent until proven guilty.

You do have a right to privacy, however,

yes I do. thank you.

consider if you match the general description of a criminal that just robbed a 7-11 three blocks away it is only common sense that a police officer would stop you and ask for identification.

how is the police officer asking for you ID going to prove/dispprove you just robbed a 7-11?

did the 7-11 get a copy of the robbers ID information to give to police?

since you bring up common sense, you should know that having or not having an ID is NOT going to ID a robber from a crime scene. :shakehead:

Many criminals I have stopped do not carry ID strictly in the hopes we can not identify them and and/or they may have outstanding warrants for their arrest. After all criminals donÃÕ have a identifying sign on them saying ÅÄrook?

All you can do is check to see if he's got any other warrants against him to hold him on if you don't have any other real proof. ahhh... I hit it on the head right there.... you need the ID to check for warrants to hold them in lack of any other real proof.

If I don't carry an ID when running, do you think I carry cash instead?

There is nothing to rob me of! :rofl3:

Now as to your statement ÄûSPAN style="BACKGROUND: yellow; mso-highlight: yellow">I have a right to privacy and just because some cop doesn't know who I am, then he doesn't (or should have) the right to know if I haven't done anything wrongÆû/SPAN> be real my friend. How is anyone to know if you have done anything wrong? Most of the criminals I have caught were after I have stopped and questioned them when responding to a criminal complaint. And guess what they also said they did nothing wrong.

why should I have to prove I've done nothing wrong? (when I've done nothing wrong).

sometimes I think cops forget people are innocent until proven guilty.

yes I do. thank you.

how is the police officer asking for you ID going to prove/dispprove you just robbed a 7-11?

since you bring up common sense, you should know that having or not having an ID is NOT going to ID a robber from a crime scene. :shakehead:

All you can do is check to see if he's got any other warrants against him to hold him on if you don't have any other real proof. ahhh... I hit it on the head right there.... you need the ID to check for warrants to hold them in lack of any other real proof.[/QUOTE]

Mike, Mike, Mike,

I wish I lived in a world where people tell me the truth all the time, acutally, I'd love to live in a world where 50 % of the people tell me the truth. But in reality I live in a world where most of the people I deal with find telling the truth a challenge to meet with most failing to achieve. The truth of this matter is most police work is asking questions and being observant. In your statement above you say I need the ID to check for warrants to hold them in lack of any othe proof. To be honest I really don't like holding people because they tend to not like being taken into custody and they like to kick cops in the neather areas and punch and kick. Believe it or not we don't get paid to get assaulted, it is a hazzard of the job but nowhere is it stated we have to put up with it. But according to you we should all have ESP to find a criminal. You my friend talke about your rights and not doing anything wrong and the police should not approach you with out "proof" of wrong doing (the impression I got from your writing, you did not say that) but I believe if your gear was stolen you would be calling all cops and yelling your head off to find the creep who stole your property. Do you by chance work in academia? This would explain a lot.

Your statement as written is accurate as it will not prove the identity of the perpetrator of a crime. Yes, you do have the right to privacy. Privacy and confidentiality are shelters for crime and bad things.

Lets look at the common sense.

A robber on foot will have an increased heart rate from clearing the scene as fast as possible and the adrenaline from the act. As a jogger so do you. Bad guys don't want to have any contact with law enforcement, neither do innocent citizens. They attempt to blend in and look normal. As a jogger you look like a reasonable person doing a normal thing. A quick change of clothing changes the appearance and lowers the chances of being identified... by the way that is the origination for the baggy pants falling off fad that is popular.... anyway a tank top and running short fits quite nicely under typical baggy clothing...lose the outer wear and poof they have an easy and quick way to explain certain physical features if they are caught in the area. Ditch the gun and cash and no "proof" is immediately there. Joggers commonly don't carry id, so they can lie if checked. They just have to keep a clear head and have the correct information.

All responding officers are going to check everybody in the area that catch their attention. Why, because witness identification during an incident like this is sketchy. Officers know they can't trust it. Now, What catches their attention will correspond directly with their experience and knowledge of the area.

You are stopped, have no id, and after a bad day you are trying to burn off a little frustration by running, you know you have done nothing wrong and your adversarial attitude slips out. Common sense tells the officer something is up, time to spend a bit more time digging up the truth. The officer is not going to let you go until they are sure you have nothing to do with the incident. You get increasingly frustrated so does the officer; Things are not going to be pretty from there. Regardless of the outcome, you will be held much longer than you need to be.

Small change, even without an id, you give the officer all your info and try your best to insure accurate identification and your reason for being in that spot at that exact moment of time. You even tell the officer you are pissed off, it has been a ****ty day, and that they are not making it any better checking you for a BS reason. A quick records check, a few more prying questions to confirm you are who you say you are, and the officer feels comfortable he has heard the truth. If it happens to be a professional officer you get a quick apology and off you go. If not, you get a smart ass comment and sent on your way. Either way you are out of there faster without as much stress.

With an id, you are identified visually and confirmed by a records check, identification adds weight to your story, increases the officers confidence in you and your story. This speeds the officer along. If they were wrong and you later turn out to be the perpetrator they can place you in the area and that increases the chances for conviction.

your minor inconvenience in carrying ID, while not required can assist in capturing the person responsible for the crime indirectly. It may assist you by decreasing the amount of time you are detained or interrupted from your day.

All you can do is check to see if he's got any other warrants against him to hold him on if you don't have any other real proof. ahhh... I hit it on the head right there.... you need the ID to check for warrants to hold them in lack of any other real proof.

I hope you are beginning to see there is a different thought process a Law Enforcement officer has to use in his job. Bad guys use common, logical events to to evade capture. What you believe is common sense in your world is not in the law enforcement world. There common sense says: Everybody lies, and unless you are a new born you are far from innocent. Taking an unknown's word for anything can get them killed or worse.

An officers has to expect guilt, try to prove it, and still protect themselves and others while they do it. At the same time they have to uphold your constitutional rights. Most want to. It is a very tight balancing act.

There is a joke created by a comedian who's name I can not recall that clearly identifies the "Innocent until proven guilty" weakness.

A man goes into a bank, raises a gun and yells this is a hold up. Cameras and witness are present and clearly see his face. He is wrestled to the ground by a security officer and cuffed. Police arrive and take him into custody, recover the gun, and the video tape. They take all the witness statements.

As soon as the person is walked out the door he is the "suspect" and presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Like they are not sure he was the same person that was apprehended inside.

Innocent until proven guilty is a constitutional directive giving a person a chance for a fair trial and to prevent the people in the bank from hanging or shooting you right there and then. It gives a safety cushion for rare events that are far more often in Hollywood than real life but still possible. It also gives a perpetrator of a crime a larger chance of keeping their life and becoming a useful member of society. It is not a law enforcement directive.

I wish I lived in a world where people tell me the truth all the time, acutally, I'd love to live in a world where 50 % of the people tell me the truth.

remember that sometimes includes the cops not telling the truth.

I've sat and watched a cop lie on the witness stand before because he didn't want to admit what he made a mistake, or some other reason.

You my friend talke about your rights and not doing anything wrong and the police should not approach you with out "proof" of wrong doing

reminds me of when I was at a party 20 years ago and the cops busted the party. We were sitting out front on a stone wall when 5 police cars pulled up. Everyone scattered like cockroaches when I light got turned on.

we were the first ones the police walked up to (since we didn't run like the others...) The cops said "why didn't you run?" I replied "because we are not doing anything wrong". :shakehead:

(the impression I got from your writing, you did not say that) but I believe if your gear was stolen you would be calling all cops and yelling your head off to find the creep who stole your property.

last time we had to call a cop because there was a break in going on AT THAT MOMENT. We had to call 911 about 5 times.

45 minutes later a cop showed up and acted like it was no big deal and didn't want to be hassled with having to write up a report because neighbors scared the robber away and he didn't get anything. just being lazy.

Do you by chance work in academia? This would explain a lot.

nope.

you must be a typical cop.... that explains a lot :shakehead:

Lets look at the common sense.

A robber on foot will have an increased heart rate from clearing the scene as fast as possible and the adrenaline from the act. As a jogger so do you. Bad guys don't want to have any contact with law enforcement, neither do innocent citizens. They attempt to blend in and look normal. As a jogger you look like a reasonable person doing a normal thing. A quick change of clothing changes the appearance and lowers the chances of being identified... by the way that is the origination for the baggy pants falling off fad that is popular.... anyway a tank top and running short fits quite nicely under typical baggy clothing...lose the outer wear and poof they have an easy and quick way to explain certain physical features if they are caught in the area. Ditch the gun and cash and no "proof" is immediately there. Joggers commonly don't carry id, so they can lie if checked. They just have to keep a clear head and have the correct information.

the scenario you suggested above is highly possible by a robber/thief who has planned their getaway with a little more precision.

but most guys who are robbing places aren't going to go "plan their wardrobe" for the event down to wearing nylon running shorts and a running shirt, etc to hide their actions.

they are mostly folks trying to get something to sell for cash or trade for drugs.

maybe they might "peel a layer" of a shirt off to a different color shirt, but I doubt they'd come out looking like someone who's running the boston marathon.

although I will agree with you that it is possible.

Do you by chance work in academia? This would explain a lot.
Ah, so nice to see a lack of prejudice in our public servants.

I think you would be surprised at what the common drug induced robber plans before he strikes out.

In jail, training sessions happen all day long, on TV, training sessions happen, during parties, planing and preparing happens differently than a planning session for remodeling your bathroom. What works and what doesn't are shared. Like scuba training you can be conditioned to do your activity with what looks like very little planing took place. You simply learn how to do it correctly.

You did bring up another interesting topic in one of your posts. "Response time".
In large cities a condition called "Black out" occurs quite frequently. When I was a young patrolman I can remember coming on duty and being told we are 85 calls for service behind. On a busy night it could be up to 200 calls a shift.

population vs officer ratios do matter.

I think you would be surprised at what the common drug induced robber plans before he strikes out.

In jail, training sessions happen all day long, on TV, training sessions happen, during parties, planing and preparing happens differently than a planning session for remodeling your bathroom. What works and what doesn't are shared. Like scuba training you can be conditioned to do your activity with what looks like very little planing took place. You simply learn how to do it correctly.

for smart crooks, perhaps. but I don't think most common robbers fit in that category.

You did bring up another interesting topic in one of your posts. "Response time".
In large cities a condition called "Black out" occurs quite frequently. When I was a young patrolman I can remember coming on duty and being told we are 85 calls for service behind. On a busy night it could be up to 200 calls a shift.

population vs officer ratios do matter.

well, I would think a call of "a robber is a the house trying to kick in neighbors door" would have a higher priority of a call over some little ole lady who's complaining because some kids knocked over her garbage cans or some call that doesn't include human danger at the moment.

add that to the cop whining about having to do a report when he comes out and it sure does leave a bad impression of local police department.

for smart crooks, perhaps. but I don't think most common robbers fit in that category.

I am sure you don't, that is OK with me. I am not going to tell you how to think, I don't even know where you live or what you have experienced. Criminals are lazy self centered persons. Rules are broken because personal gain is greater than the social or personal penalty. Most criminals reflect society and are of average intelligence. That is just my personal experience. Yes there are Darwin candidates but they are in every job market too!

well, I would think a call of "a robber is a the house trying to kick in neighbors door" would have a higher priority of a call over some little ole lady who's complaining because some kids knocked over her garbage cans or some call that doesn't include human danger at the moment.

it does have a higher priority. I won't make excuses nor even try to guess what happened in your case. I can only add things you may not be aware of.

add that to the cop whining about having to do a report when he comes out and it sure does leave a bad impression of local police department.

I won't argue that, Only 1 out of every 5000 persons has the personality to be a professional law enforcement officer their whole career. 1 out of 500 has the ability to do an acceptable job up to 5 years. ( Harvard 1982) (Berkley 1984)
As in any public service position, one bad day and you have tarnished a lifetime of work. Cops are human too.

I understand your position and feelings, they are logical and well substantiated experiences. They are unfortunately too common. You ask or share and we will respond best we can do.

Not so much a question...but...

Just got this via email, from a ex-copper. Just to change the tone for a moment.

Swine Flu Decontamination Unit

image00111.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom