Asking once again(for ALL you photoshop type gurus)..wife yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
bought(from Walmart-so can return if unopened) Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0.....Question is, is this good or no good for improving UW photos(cropping, de-scattering, +/- colors etc etc etc)......If good, what do I do(have not opened it to read directions, will this computer illerate person be able to handle it.....LOL)...just went to digital & want to improve some UW shots(some are 35mm from the past I put on a disc when developing)........thanks for any HELP..............

BTW, this was the only model, kind of photoshop, they had yesterday.........

Mike Veitch:
yes, it is a great tool for UW and all photography.

try this site to get you started on how to figure it out...

www.uwphotoshop.com

Thanks Mike...........This is the info I was needing....Was just reading on the box it has a healing brush which I think will be needed for decreasing the backscatter.......thanks for the link....Will 'holler' later when help is needed......Joe.....

Also...you can download a free trial of Photoshop Elements from adobe's website to try it out, full featured, for 30 days. You don't have to open $100 worth of software just to see if you like it. I would try that first; you'll be able to see if it runs well on your hardware, if you like it, and if it does what you want. You shouldn't have a problem doing what you need in PSE 5.0. Others you can try out if you don't like it include Corel's Paint Shop Pro XI, and of course, the professional version of Photoshop.

Also, don't forget about catalogue software. PSE 5.0 and Paint Shop Pro both have some basic cataloging (or DAM software...stands for Digital Asset Management) built in. Other, more full featured software includes the new Microsoft Expression Media (used to be called iView Media Pro), Portfolio 8, and iMatch. Also, adobe has a new tool that combines cataloging and RAW workflow in one, called Photoshop LightRoom).

I know this may be a little overwhelming if you are new to digital...but one of the thing newbies usually overlook is finding a way to manage all of these files you are about to create. It's a somewhat daunting task, when you think about it, but there are ways to do this.

Good luck, and let us know if you have more questions. BTW, my bottom line on this is that you will probably be fine for a while with Photoshop Elements (both the editor and the DAM part of the software). There are some limitations, but it will take you a while to bump into them if you are just starting out...so have fun, learn a lot, and share those pics. :)

Back
Top Bottom