Aspiring Solo Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim R Alcoser JR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I posted this exact message in the wrong forum. I was given info that there was a super secret fraternal order of Freemason Solo divers hidden here on the boards, lol.

So here is my repost of my original question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a new diver, i've been asking a lot of questions around here lately. So let's not break the tradition or anything.

I would like to hear from Solo divers. I can assume this could turn into a huge debate and all, which is fine, but I would like to pick some of you old salt's brains as to why you prefer to solo dive, when you started and any tips and info you have for aspiring solo divers.

***disclaimer: Now before I'm scolded here (new diver + solo = Hell to raise on the Scuba Boards
:angrymob:
) realize I'm not going solo diving anytime soon. But it is a goal I want to achieve farther down the road. And having goals and meeting them is good. So I don't want to hear none of that, lol. Also, by solo dive, I strictly mean down to 40 feet off a cove like Shaw's or the Dive Park on Catalina. It's just an ability I want to have. End disclaimer***

That doesn't mean I don't want to dive with a buddy. But I hate being fully dependent on someone else. If I want to go do a short dive and I can't find anybody, I don't want to sit at home all day eating chips and watching Undercover Boss on TV. Also, sometimes I just want to get away from everyone and everything and just have some me time. I'm single by the way, lucky me.

So anyways. Have at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
1, I agree that solo diving is an activity that should only occur once the diver is an accomplished buddy diver. It's a refinement of skill, rather than an excuse not to possess skills.

2, I agree that appropriate training should be obtained. Many agencies (including PADI) now offer solo diver training - and they tend to be exceptionally valuable courses. The PADI version is called 'Self-Sufficient Diver' - in recognition that the training provided not only permits solo diving activities, but also an evolution of self-sufficiency for a diver who may otherwise operate in a buddy pair or team.

3, IMHO, divers who solo diving without appropriate qualification tend to fall into one of two categories;

(a) Cowboys, who put convenience before safety and don't have an integral ego-check to understand the relationship between experience/skill-set and risk. Typically defined through an 'acceptance of risk', rather than a 'mitigation of risk' mindset.

(b) ' Old-school' divers, who undertook more extensive diving training long before the 'fast-track' short courses of the modern era - who could otherwise be expected to possess a refined sense of personal responsibility and a high degree of experience. Whilst not possessing a 'qualification', an analysis of their experience and training history will normally illustrate that the required skill-set and mindset are in place.

4, As mentioned, mindset is critical. To solo dive prudently, the diver needs to be confident that they have mitigated all foreseeable risks. That confidence needs to be based on a foundation of honest self-awareness ("how good am I really?") and a comprehensive understanding of, and respect for, the risks they will face ("how prepared am I, when compared to the worst case scenario that I will face?")

5. The diver must have an honest belief, based on evidence of past-performance, that they can handle emergencies calmly and with control. Panic is the critical factor and will nullify any hypothetical planning or equipment carried by the diver. It's hard for an inexperienced diver to have an honest belief in their performance under stress, if they haven't had chance to experience stress and deal with incidents in the water. Role-playing/simulation in training can provide an insight into this, but there really is no substitute for 'hard experience'. If a diver hasn't had to deal with a given situation, then they shouldn't assume capability for that situation.

6. Never fall prey to the ego-trap that tries to tell you that you are competent, just because you never experienced an emergency. Diving is a safe activity and you won't generally face critical problems on a regular basis. You are not a safe or competent diver because nothing goes wrong - you are simply a lucky diver. Sooner or later, luck runs out. Doing X number of successful buddy/deep etc dives is not a criteria for deciding your competence under those conditions... or deciding your capability to progress into more demanding or higher-risk activities. Performance under 'best case scenarios' is not a determining factor for your ability to survive a 'worst case scenario'.

7. Solo diving places a critical importance on the issue of stress management. In a buddy team, there is always a 'back-up' brain - a person who may not be directly impacted by the emergency and, therefore, more likely react with calm and control to help a resolution. When alone, the stressed victim is also the person who has to resolve. Never underestimate how stress/panic can degrade your ability to resolve a problem safely.

8. Diving emergencies occur in-line with the principle of 'Murphy's Law'. It's easy to rationalize that a particular risk is unlikely (and therefore dismissable) - but the random occurrence of such events is what causes diving fatalities. Nobody died on scuba that predicted, or expected, the incident that killed them. If you haven't actively mitigated a risk, then you should dive in the assumption that it can happen and it can kill you. Use those assumptions to guide you when setting your own personal limitations. In that respect, don't be pre-occupied with the issue of depth - unless you possess gills, then having no access to air at 20cm is just as lethal as having no air at 20m.

9. Diving emergencies typically feature a 'chain' of events. That is how people die under seemingly innocuous circumstances. Learn to recognize when you are on that chain... and be prepared to break the chain - if nothing else, by simply aborting the dive as a prudent measure. Also be aware of your capability to deal with multiple issues simultaneously - it's easy to rationalize your capacity to deal with a single incident/stressor - but reality proves that such things rarely happen in singularity. A single incident/failure/stressor normally results in a 'near-miss'... you survive. Multiple simultaneous incidents/failures/stressors have an exponential capacity for decreasing your chance of survival.

10. Lack of skill, knowledge and capability drastically increase the risk of multiple simultaneous incidents/failures/stressors. This is the scenario where task-loading, stress and/or inappropriate response dealing with a primary issue can actually lead to the evolution of further subsequent issues. Be aware of how this 'chain' can work and ensure honest confidence in your ability to severe the chain through appropriate and timely response, with an emphasis on not creating further issues.

11. Be pessimistic in your dive planning, risk assessment and risk mitigation measures. Never assume that you can simply 'avoid' a problem. Never assume that a problem will not arise. Be prepared, mentally, skillfully and with appropriate equipment, to deal with a problem. "Avoiding entanglements" is not a risk mitigation... "being prepared and equipped to deal with entanglements" is.

Last edited:
1, I agree that solo diving is an activity that should only occur once the diver is an accomplished buddy diver. It's a refinement of skill, rather than an excuse not to possess skills.

2, I agree that appropriate training should be obtained. Many agencies (including PADI) now offer solo diver training - and they tend to be exceptionally valuable courses. The PADI version is called 'Self-Sufficient Diver' - in recognition that the training provided not only permits solo diving activities, but also an evolution of self-sufficiency for a diver who may otherwise operate in a buddy pair or team.

3, IMHO, divers who solo diving without appropriate qualification tend to fall into one of two categories;

(a) Cowboys, who put convenience before safety and don't have an integral ego-check to understand the relationship between experience/skill-set and risk. Typically defined through an 'acceptance of risk', rather than a 'mitigation of risk' mindset.

(b) ' Old-school' divers, who undertook more extensive diving training long before the 'fast-track' short courses of the modern era - who could otherwise be expected to possess a refined sense of personal responsibility and a high degree of experience. Whilst not possessing a 'qualification', an analysis of their experience and training history will normally illustrate that the required skill-set and mindset are in place.

4, As mentioned, mindset is critical. To solo dive prudently, the diver needs to be confident that they have mitigated all foreseeable risks. That confidence needs to be based on a foundation of honest self-awareness ("how good am I really?") and a comprehensive understanding of, and respect for, the risks they will face ("how prepared am I, when compared to the worst case scenario that I will face?")

5. The diver must have an honest belief, based on evidence of past-performance, that they can handle emergencies calmly and with control. Panic is the critical factor and will nullify any hypothetical planning or equipment carried by the diver. It's hard for an inexperienced diver to have an honest belief in their performance under stress, if they haven't had chance to experience stress and deal with incidents in the water. Role-playing/simulation in training can provide an insight into this, but there really is no substitute for 'hard experience'. If a diver hasn't had to deal with a given situation, then they shouldn't assume capability for that situation.

6. Never fall prey to the ego-trap that tries to tell you that you are competent, just because you never experienced an emergency. Diving is a safe activity and you won't generally face critical problems on a regular basis. You are not a safe or competent diver because nothing goes wrong - you are simply a lucky diver. Sooner or later, luck runs out. Doing X number of successful buddy/deep etc dives is not a criteria for deciding your competence under those conditions... or deciding your capability to progress into more demanding or higher-risk activities. Performance under 'best case scenarios' is not a determining factor for your ability to survive a 'worst case scenario'.

7. Solo diving places a critical importance on the issue of stress management. In a buddy team, there is always a 'back-up' brain - a person who may not be directly impacted by the emergency and, therefore, more likely react with calm and control to help a resolution. When alone, the stressed victim is also the person who has to resolve. Never underestimate how stress/panic can degrade your ability to resolve a problem safely.

8. Diving emergencies occur in-line with the principle of 'Murphy's Law'. It's easy to rationalize that a particular risk is unlikely (and therefore dismissable) - but the random occurrence of such events is what causes diving fatalities. Nobody died on scuba that predicted, or expected, the incident that killed them. If you haven't actively mitigated a risk, then you should dive in the assumption that it can happen and it can kill you. Use those assumptions to guide you when setting your own personal limitations. In that respect, don't be pre-occupied with the issue of depth - unless you possess gills, then having no access to air at 20cm is just as lethal as having no air at 20m.

9. Diving emergencies typically feature a 'chain' of events. That is how people die under seemingly innocuous circumstances. Learn to recognize when you are on that chain... and be prepared to break the chain - if nothing else, by simply aborting the dive as a prudent measure. Also be aware of your capability to deal with multiple issues simultaneously - it's easy to rationalize your capacity to deal with a single incident/stressor - but reality proves that such things rarely happen in singularity. A single incident/failure/stressor normally results in a 'near-miss'... you survive. Multiple simultaneous incidents/failures/stressors have an exponential capacity for decreasing your chance of survival.

10. Lack of skill, knowledge and capability drastically increase the risk of multiple simultaneous incidents/failures/stressors. This is the scenario where task-loading, stress and/or inappropriate response dealing with a primary issue can actually lead to the evolution of further subsequent issues. Be aware of how this 'chain' can work and ensure honest confidence in your ability to severe the chain through appropriate and timely response, with an emphasis on not creating further issues.

11. Be pessimistic in your dive planning, risk assessment and risk mitigation measures. Never assume that you can simply 'avoid' a problem. Never assume that a problem will arise. Be prepared, mentally, skillfully and with appropriate equipment, to deal with a problem. "Avoiding entanglements" is not a risk mitigation... "being prepared and equipped to deal with entanglements" is.

What a kick-butt post! There is a ton of nuggets in there and I really appreciate all the effort and info you contributed.

Damn DD,

Way to hit that one out of the park!

All that can be said....has been said. :)

-Mitch

Reactions: Jax
Nice post DD! All your points are important but the one point I continually try to be aware of, is your "chain of events"! Recognizing and breaking the chain before it is too late is critical for any kind of diving... which actually starts before you get in the water!

Devon did write a very informative post and I compliment him on the way he guided the discussion in the basic forum.

I would also add though that the character make up of those who successfully solo dive is more than two or three in nature.

I began solo diving at about dive 20 something. I was neither an old school diver nor did I take any sort of solo course. I did however, previously engage in many other forms of self taught solo pursuits and had a pretty good idea of how I would approach this one.

For myself, I use a gradual, graduated approach. I first dove the easiest, best known (to me) sites following very conservative, pre conceived dive plans. Along with this I did a lot of self study and mentor ship with more experienced divers. As my skill and comfort level increased my solo dive sites and dive plans gradually became less restricting.

Caveat* This form of development requires a mature, patient approach to diving and the ability to recognize and regulate ones ego. It is not for the impatient or those who like to brag about their dives. Most of my solo diving is boring as hell (punctuated by moments of "I can't believe I just saw that"). My personal belief is that solo diving should be the exact opposite of an adrenaline sport.

While much is made of training and skills acquisition there are certain attributes that may be touched upon in a course but cannot really be taught there. Some I have noted (patience, maturity, ego control) others may include:

The ability to adapt to changing conditions. This includes being able to work through problems in place and having a bailout strategy for when you can't and being able to recognize when each is appropriate. Sounds easy but this requires both knowledge and experience and is why I prefer the gradual, graduated approach.

The ability to solve problems alone. I think self education may be one way this might be demonstrated so I don't see it (self education) as a bad thing necessarily. Someone who can't learn except in a formalized class environment may not be a suitable solo candidate, no matter how many solo courses they take.

The ability to operate in sub optimal conditions and to endure hardship. Not like the old drill instructor stepping on your back while you do push ups (what's wrong with that I say!), but if one cannot cope with a continuous flooding mask or cannot uncramp a calf muscle by themselves and swim afterwards etc... they probably shouldn't solo dive.

Remember, we operate in an foreign environment - alone. How we conduct ourselves above the surface will probably influence how we conduct ourselves below it.

Why I prefer to Solo dive:
It’s not just a preference, but an option.
I can do an easy dive at my time and pace whenever I want (taking into account the weather, water conditions, how well I feel, etc...)
I’ve decided not to do a solo dive a few times and not feel bad for a buddy.
It relaxes me.
I feel great after.

When I started:
1975 – bought equipment, got the tank filled , watched some Sea Hunt episodes and headed for the nearest lake. 2005 – got certified (Solo course - SDI)

Tips:
LOTS of good information above, but go with the right frame of mind, enjoy diving with a buddy and, once in awhile, think of what you would do if you were alone. Get lots of diving in under different conditions and take the SDI course. Don’t do any pinnacle dives (e.g. deepest dive, challenging currents, new unknown place, etc&#8230:wink: Know your equipment backwards and forwards.

Personally I dont PREFERR solo diving, but its one of several options for my diving.
I enjoy diving with others a lot, but living in the inland theres not much divers around, while theres a lot of local lakes for me to dive and if I have the time and desire, but no available buddy, going solo allow me to still dive.

+1 to the awesome post by DD, and +1 to the post by DaleC.

Much Like Dale, I started solo diving without certification, but with a mature and healthy respect for the fact that if I jumped into it cowboy style, I would die. A slow and honest progression is something that is possible, as I know I did it, but I personally do not recommend it to others. Again, like DaleC, I did not come to my approach in a vacuum. How I decided to solo dive, and how I decided to educate myself on solo diving, was in all respects a result of my own personality, and the environment that I was diving in when I started to think about solo diving.

Futhermore, I cannot thank enough those "Old Salts" that I knew that showed me that solo diving is an acceptable path. If it was not for them, I probably wouldn't have kept on diving.

Now I do have my Solo Cert from SDI (for charters), and I am an active proponent of proper training, experience, and equipment when new divers ask me. I firmly believe that this is a much easier approach to solo diving training than my approach.

But to answer the original question of why I prefer solo diving: It makes me happy...

-- Travis

Last edited:
I'm sure there are as many types of solo divers as their are divers. I prefer to dive with regular dive buddies that I know well. I also like the social interaction of having a regular buddy with me on a dive or during a dive trip or outing.

I don't dive solo in currents or areas where the entanglement risk is higher than normal. I do dive solo at night, fairly deep but at a place that is close and well known by me as well as at other locations when I have a regular buddy along but who wants to check out various areas without having to worry about a buddy or whenever other varying circumstances come up.

Sometimes I prefer to dive solo rather than dive with someone unknown to me. In that case I see the risk as less rather than greater.

If someone is uncomfortable solo diving and is doing it just because they can't find a buddy that isn't a good reason IMO. If you are comfortable and just don't want to dive with the divers who are easily available and don't feel like scheduling a dive with someone you would like to dive with then that's another matter.

It's not an either or type of thing. I dive with new and new to me divers...sometimes. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for that.

As far as the mindset for solo diving I can't improve upon what has already been written. It's a cliche but it's often said that if you have to ask if you are ready to solo dive...you aren't:)

It's less of a skill than it is a mindset.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom