assistance on picking future BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... If you go with the XT Lite backplate, with two cam bands, a basic harness, travel wing, and STA, you are at 8lbs, but you get to take between 4-6lbs off of your weight belt and isn't much more expensive. Despite what anyone says, you do need a STA with the Dive Rite wings on a hard backplate...

What he said. My wife and I have the XT Lite backplates for tropical diving with travel wing and STA and it is a great setup. My wife has the TransPac harness and the backplate padding, I just have a continuous webbing setup. We both have the little DiveRite travel weight pockets on the 2" waist webbing. You will need minimal weight, it is an extremely stable setup, and comfortable. The Lite backplates only weight about 2.5 lbs, so it's not a big deal as far as weight for checked baggage.

A couple of other considerations - for travel, backplates dry faster than anything with fabric. The Dive Rite "Lite" backplate is more buoyancy efficient than similar weight aluminum backplate if you're carrying any lead weight. You will be amazed how much lead you can get rid of with any backplate, because there is nothing to trap air. If you are wearing a wetsuit, I personally find backplate padding unnecessary

My wife and I have the XT Lite backplates for tropical diving with travel wing and STA and it is a great setup. My wife has the TransPac harness and the backplate padding, I just have a continuous webbing setup.

Just to clarify your wife has the Transpac XT, with SS XT lite backplate, travel wing, and STA?
Does the Transpac XT require a backplate? Reason is, I don't see an option that one is needed on their site. Is this a recommended addition?

she would have the Transplate Harness, which is the same as the Transpac harness just is universal for backplates. I don't recommend this unless you are carrying gear a long way without any exposure protection on. The one piece harness, especially for women works out quite nicely.

Just to clarify your wife has the Transpac XT, with SS XT lite backplate, travel wing, and STA?
Does the Transpac XT require a backplate? Reason is, I don't see an option that one is needed on their site. Is this a recommended addition?

My bad, I meant TransPlate. Sorry for the confusion. Her setup is Lite backplate, TransPlate harness, travel wing, STA and crotch strap. Personally, I think the 2" Dive Rite crotch straps are too stiff, and made up some from softer webbing. My wife has the 1.5" crotch strap on her heavy backplate (for local diving) and a 2" soft webbing one on her lightweight backplate, and couldn't tell the difference. The one place where I really question the use of quick release buckles is on the crotch strap. If there's any place more likely than others to get damaged by accidentally crushing a plastic quick release buckle by setting a tank on top of it, it's on the crotch strap

I bought my Travelpac few months ago. Loved it after a few dives with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom