Asthmatic looking to scuba dive - had a dive physical today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I had my PFT's today at the hospital. The only one I could not do was the exercise one because they don't have equipment there. I also had 2 blood tests done to see my oxygen levels. One when I walked in then one after being on oxygen for 30 minutes.

The guy who did my tests said that my results of the tests were higher (good in this case) than the average person, who doesn't have asthma. He said had I not told him I had asthma, he never would have guessed I had it because of my test results.

So he's forwarding them to my doc who prescribed them and I called him about not being able to do the exercise one, but he said to wait what the results say before we decide if we need it or not.

I hope I don't need to do it because this has been such a hassle already. Also I worked out this morning like an hour before the tests, but I guess that's not the same as doing it right after exercising.

You have been pursuing this since 2011? Holy perseverance......

No physician ever diagnosed me with asthma. But based on my response to running in cold rain, shoveling wet snow in sleet, cleaning dry cat vomit - it is likely exercise, cold, and cat vomit induced. Only had 3 to 4 episodes my whole life which is less than 1 per 10 years. Responsive to inhaler. I never made a deal of it in the military nor outside as it was really nonexistent and I avoid exercising in cold rain. Like someone mentioned, like 1 in 5 have undiagnosed asthma, 1 in 4 have patent foramen ovale. These are the certified scuba dm, instructor and dive doctors. None will certify a diver with known asthma nor PFO. But if you didn’t tell them, they didn’t know, and you suffered arterial embolism or ruptured lung - you will point the finger at the professionals. Dive and tell no one. Or don’t dive.

I did my PFT's and blood oxygen level tests like 10 days ago and apparently the hospital I took them at did not send the results to my doctor but I didn't know that until I called them this past Thursday. So they were supposed to send them Thursday and hopefully I find out this week if my doctor will sign the waiver.

The guy who did my PFT's said that my results were higher (better in this sense) than your average non-asthmatic person, and had I never told him that I had asthma, he would not have had a clue, including because of the shape I was in. I could not do the exercise induced PFT though due to the hospital not having the equipment for it, so I hope that I don't have to go elsewhere to do it, but the guy who did my tests thought it would be a waste of time. Unfortunately he's not the doctor so I'm waiting to still see what my doctor says.

If you want to dive, pay a doc in the box cash and he will clear you. If you apply for life insurance, they will charge you a little premium, as on record you are asthmatic. Many will exclude scuba diving from a covered fatal event. Your risk of being injured from doing a perfectly performed CESA or uncontrolled ascent is higher. But it seems to me you are already convinced that you want to dive... and wants a certificate saying that. It doesn’t make sense. Just pay a doc in the box to fill out the form and lie about your medical history. You might pass the exercise pft.... but what about cold and exercise? High pollen count and exercise? Girlfriend with cat hugging you and exercise?

I have seen old out of shape old man who can not swim getting a pass for diving! I would feel safer having you diving with me than all these out of shape divers ANY day. But you have to admit - you have asthma - and higher risk of barotrauma to your lung. Just like the 1/4 divers out there who might have a PFO - if we knew they were there, we would not clear. But so far, there is no requirement for an echocardiogram for PFO for everyone considering diving.

I just got a call from the pulmonologists office that my waiver is ready to be picked up and they wanted to know how to get it to me. So I'm starting to get a little bit excited that I'll finally be medically cleared! But I still want to be sure that it is fully signed off on once I get it in my hand because the receptionist wasn't really in the know about exactly what was signed off on, just that it was ready and I've done everything I needed to do. But the fact that they didn't give me bad news, I'm pretty confident that he just signed off as expected and I'll be good to go.

So 7 years in the making and I'm finally cleared lol! I plan on doing some dives in 10 days while in Grand Cayman and it'll be nice to not lie on my medical form. Then when I get back I plan on doing OW Cert class and getting certified.

Does anyone know with the medical waiver if you need to bring the original or will a copy be good enough?

So 7 years in the making and I'm finally cleared lol! I plan on doing some dives in 10 days while in Grand Cayman and it'll be nice to not lie on my medical form. Then when I get back I plan on doing OW Cert class and getting certified.

Does anyone know with the medical waiver if you need to bring the original or will a copy be good enough?
I always bring the original, but I live in the UK and it was much simpler for me to get approved fit to dive (I have asthma).

I also scanned it and send it by email to the dive centre in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom