AT-PAC (and other) photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was going through some photos as I uploaded them to Google, and found these.

I decommissioned this gear back in 2000-something but they continued to live in the garage until 2007 when it was time for them to go to the great equipment locker in the sky.

For your amusement, an original AT-PAC (orange wing, steel bands), and the improved "z-pac" with the compression bladder and soft tank bands.

Both have the "comfort vest", which was one of the most comfortable BCs I ever owned.

There's also a picture of an "AT-PAC wrench" used for tightening the thumbscrews that hold the tank bands to the back pack.

Just for fun, there's also one of the original "dive timers". A hand-wound mechanical timer. At the surface a spring loaded finger pressed on the balance wheel to keep it from running. Under pressure a rubber disc compressed and moved the finger off the wheel.

https://goo.gl/photos/2HSCwsheCE46BEhZ8

Oh, and a "macho diver" Wenoka dive knife that I found on La Jolla Shores in 1980.

Nice stuff...I actually had that wenoka knife back in the day. If you ever want to sell, please let me know:)

Thank you for the photographs, it was a blast from the past. I bought my AT-PAC in the summer of 1976 and dove it with twin AL 50's until the early 1980's. Never had a problem and always had more lift than my horse collar wearing dive buddies.

I used the At Pac wing for a couple of decades. It was not well protected but really compact and uncluttered. I'd probably still use it if the rubber spares on the inflator were available.

full.jpg

I basically ditched the rest of the system. The backpack and wing was the least I could buy at the time. I used a Fenzy before that.

I still use my bottom timer. My dive knife is a Mares Tris Enox that I bought from Aqua-Craft around 1968. I still wear it when I'm not flying somewhere where they won't allow it. I had a wing that was similar but it was ScubaPro and the bladder died. I'm pretty sure it was newer than the At-Pac

I have two of those bottom timers, both work perfect. I also have an Aqualung Seahawk knife which is probably the biggest dive knife ever made at a blade length of 8.5”. I use it for harvesting rock scallops.
The BC designs could have easily followed the At Pac style and we would basically have what is the modern style BP/W design today.
But somewhere along the line the poodle jacket was invented and that’s what took off. Only now are we getting back to the great designs of the snug fit back pack era.

For people who still dive AT-PACs, do you use the integrated lead pellet weights?

For people who still dive AT-PACs, do you use the integrated lead pellet weights?
I did for about a decade. Mix it with marbles to keep it from clumping. Also shake it pre-dive if it's been stored awhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom