Athens Home Solutions Suunto Computer Interface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I got my new improved computer interface from Athens Home Solutions a couple weeks ago and was finally able to test it. WOW! The new springloaded pins work amazingly well and I was able to download hands-free just like with the OEM Suunto interface, but at a fraction of the cost.

http://www.athenshomesolutions.com/id19.html

I'm working on an additional improvement as well. It will make assembly of the kits easier for some users as well as being a neat feature for the complete interfaces as well. No definate time frame on it and its more of a convenience improvement than a functional one.

I will also be adding the option of an "all inclusive" kit that will come with everything you need down to the soldering iron and solder. This is in response to seeing a lot of destroyed circuit boards due to too much heat and/or globs of solder on the boards. This will only add about $12 to the cost of the kit and will not increase the s/h cost. Most folks have a 50 watt or higher, blunt tip soldering iron (or gun...) that they figure they'll use on the kit. Guys, the circuit board is about 1"x1.25". You need a 15 watt iron with a pencil tip and 0.032" dia solder or smaller. I would appreciate your feedback on this idea as well.

Guys, the circuit board is about 1"x1.25"
You mean ya don't go hunting squirrels with an elephant gun? GEEZ! :wink:
You might want to include some +2.75 reading glasses in there so us old farts can see something as small as a 1"x1.25" pc board.:tease:
I remember the "good ol daze" of rewiring the output ports on IBM PC Juniors so "normal" cords could be used with the critters. Those were some tiny soldering jobs.

I purchased one of these interfaces with the newer spring-loaded contact pins this summer. It works great with my Vyper and, as mentioned by a couple of the earlier posters, cost only a fraction of the price of the Suunto OEM interface.

I normally enjoy DIY (do it yourself) projects, but when it comes to soldering, I'm all thumbs. For a few bucks more I bought the already assembled version.

I opened the case on mine and took a peek inside. There are at least a dozen small pieces and several wires that need to be attached to a very small circuit board. My advice to anyone who hasn't done this type of thing before; let Jamie do the soldering.

I bought one over the summer. My G/F and I each have s Sunnto Cobra and use it to download our dive profiles. Was worth every penny from Athens & about $100 cheaper then the Sunnto factory interface. Athens is a hell of a nice guy & was very helpful.

jamiei:
I'm working on an additional improvement as well. It will make assembly of the kits easier for some users as well as being a neat feature for the complete interfaces as well. No definate time frame on it and its more of a convenience improvement than a functional one.

I will also be adding the option of an "all inclusive" kit that will come with everything you need down to the soldering iron and solder. This is in response to seeing a lot of destroyed circuit boards due to too much heat and/or globs of solder on the boards. This will only add about $12 to the cost of the kit and will not increase the s/h cost. Most folks have a 50 watt or higher, blunt tip soldering iron (or gun...) that they figure they'll use on the kit. Guys, the circuit board is about 1"x1.25". You need a 15 watt iron with a pencil tip and 0.032" dia solder or smaller. I would appreciate your feedback on this idea as well.

How do I sync it up now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom