Atlantis Azores Announces New Safety Features

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mindless

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I received this email today. Further evidence that recent events are having an impact on liveaboard operators around the world. Even if all this was planned before drydock—and surely some of it had to have been—the emphasis on these changes is noteworthy.

Atlantis Azores has just completed a very extensive 7 week dry dock with no expense spared to add to our guests' comfort and safety. In addition to updating and testing our existing fire detection and alarm systems, a new Hanlon Fire Suppression System was installed. Our fire extinguishers, safety equipment and life rafts were all serviced during this period. Other onboard safety features include Defibrillator, Pressure Demand (100%) Oxygen System, First Aid / Trauma Kit and the brand new Nautilus Lifeline Marine Rescue Personal GPS units that were purchased for complimentary use by our guests during charters.

Additionally, 2 new larger tenders were purchased to transport our guests in comfort to dive sites. Mechanically, a complete overhaul of all major equipment was completed including main engines, generators and AC units.

Our main guest stateroom areas below deck have secondary emergency exits, and we have smoke detectors in each cabin, companion ways, salon and galley areas.

Our guest orientation process is conducted on embarkation and includes detailed safety explanations, as well as a safety video. Our extensive emergency assistance plan is available to anyone who wishes to review it.

We do not allow charging in the cabins and anything found on charge in the cabins during servicing is relocated to the main charging area in a public part of the salon. The Azores crew run a 24/7 watch and train and drill regularly on how to deal with emergencies.

Azores passed Marina safety inspections in order to leave dry dock.

Our staff and crew look forward to welcoming you aboard on one of our exciting itineraries: Apo Reef & Coron, Bohol, Malapascua & Cebu, and Tubbataha.

Azores.jpg

Unless "Hanlon" is a brand of "Fire Suppression Systems", I suspect that they might mean Halon Fire Suppression System.

If it is Hanlon, disregard everything in this post, but if it is Halon, then there are some important things to know about Halon fire suppression systems.

I used to work in a number of facilities that used Halon as their primary defence against fires. Halon is a gas that is heavier than air. It is non-reactive, meaning that it can be used in the presence of fuel and/or electrical fires and will not leave any form or residue. It puts out the fire by filling the room and displacing all of the air in the room. This is great in that the fire is quickly extinguished, but it also means that if you are there when it is used, you will not be able to breathe. (Most Halon systems that I am familiar with have a distinct audible alarm prior to discharging to alert those in the affected area.)

Once used, Halon can quickly, safely, and relatively easily be vented outside making the area usable again, often in a matter of hours.

Unless "Hanlon" is a brand of "Fire Suppression Systems", I suspect that they might mean Halon Fire Suppression System.

If it is Hanlon, disregard everything in this post, but if it is Halon, then there are some important things to know about Halon fire suppression systems.

I used to work in a number of facilities that used Halon as their primary defence against fires. Halon is a gas that is heavier than air. It is non-reactive, meaning that it can be used in the presence of fuel and/or electrical fires and will not leave any form or residue. It puts out the fire by filling the room and displacing all of the air in the room. This is great in that the fire is quickly extinguished, but it also means that if you are there when it is used, you will not be able to breathe. (Most Halon systems that I am familiar with have a distinct audible alarm prior to discharging to alert those in the affected area.)

Once used, Halon can quickly, safely, and relatively easily be vented outside making the area usable again, often in a matter of hours.

In a 2008, there was a similar fire-suppressant system (using a compound known as R-114B2/Halon 2402) which was accidentally triggered on a Russian nuclear sub and resulted in 20 dead and a further 41 injuries. Speculation was that part of the reason for the high casualty count was the large number of civilian shipyard engineers aboard who were a) not trained in the relevant emergency procedures (donning breathing gear to wait out the 30-minute ventilation time) and b) may have been asleep as the accident occurred at night. So, not something you want in the berthing compartments, although in the engine room and other minimally-occupied crew-only spaces it's a good idea.

In a 2008, there was a similar fire-suppressant system (using a compound known as R-114B2/Halon 2402) which was accidentally triggered on a Russian nuclear sub and resulted in 20 dead and a further 41 injuries. Speculation was that part of the reason for the high casualty count was the large number of civilian shipyard engineers aboard who were a) not trained in the relevant emergency procedures (donning breathing gear to wait out the 30-minute ventilation time) and b) may have been asleep as the accident occurred at night. So, not something you want in the berthing compartments, although in the engine room and other minimally-occupied crew-only spaces it's a good idea.
Yup, without proper safety measures in place, Halon is a very effective fire suppression, but it is potentially fatal.

This is just a long article saying "nothing's changed". I'm not impressed by adding a halon system, effective, sure, but it's likely only present in the engine room.

The most fire prone area of any ship is the same place it is in your house. The drier's ventilation duct.

Either they have a firewatch, or they don't...that's the ONLY likely way to be safe in any confined space prone to fire, whether its your basement, or a boat.

Bringing up this older thread, I was looking for info on the Azores after dry dock. I was on the boat twice last year, and the main issue I had regarding safety is that the main and emergency exits from the central cabin area end up in the same area, about 10 feet from each other. About 10 feet from both is the area for battery charging. I was hoping that this was addressed in some manner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom