Atmos 2 vs the Aladin tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asaara:
I've used both the Atmos 2 and the Uwatec (borrowed, after my Atmos 2 was stolen), and I far prefer the Atmos 2, though the Uwatec didn't kill me taking it on a couple rather deep dives. You can't change settings on the Uwatecs without the computer interface (it seems, from a friend who had one in a console and spent more time fighting with it on land than using it underwater), it doesn't show nitrogen loading, only time remaining, I'm not sure you can change how conservative you want it to be. ...

The Aladin Tec does show all those things. You can change all the settings the same way you do on the Atmos, I do it all the time.

asaara:
Also, the infrared PC connection is harder to work than a cable, said friend was constantly losing the connection, and he was using the only laptop I've ever seen with a functioning infrared port, the two I've owned that had IR ports never worked, and the machine I have now doesn't have one - granted, it's a Mac, but I have VirtualPC for other stuff, and the Aeris software works just fine with the USB cable....

A problem with the IR prot could be possible I suppose, but I have never had a problem with mine. There is a usb cable with a cradle that the Aladin Tec sits in available too.

The Atmos 2 is a great computer, I have had it for 2 years, and it has worked great. The Aladin Tec has more options though, just depends on what is important to you.
If I had to only pick one, it would be the Aladin Tec for me.

If your are going to buy an Atmos 2 you can't be the price right now they are being discontinued. For the money they are a steal

evil_xander:
Aladin Tec can be completly configured without a PC/Mac. Only thing that needs to be adjusted via IrDa is to turn off various alarms one by one, because on the unit itself you can either turn them all on or off, no adjustments which ones.

Aladin Tec does show nitrogen loading with a bar to the right, and you can set 6 different levels of how conservative it is, plus it has a user replaceable battery.

Yes, that was what he was doing, and he also used the computer to change it to metric, maybe because he didn't know how to do it without, or because he was already there. The alarms were going off for everything before he changed it, those of us diving with him swore the thing beeped when there was no alarm just to say hi!

Whatever one I was using (one of the grey brick type ones) didn't have the bar on it, and I wished it did, anyways.

punkrex:
So what use would having a stop watch be?
And what about 100% o2, is that for deco?

Well, depends on your diving. Some people use the stopwatch for keeping track of time at a certain depth or for timing stops.
It can be for Deco. Most computers can do Nitrox up to 40 or 50%, which can be enough for most people. I also use the average depth in gauge mode.
Many of the computer functions are the same or very similar between the Atmos and Tec. The tec gives you the ability to adjust how conservative the computer is, and has better software.

Back
Top Bottom