Atmos 2 vs. VEO 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjm460

Registered
Reaction score
I have a choice between an Aeris Atmos 2 or an Oceanic VEO 100. Anybody care to offer up some helpful hints/opinions to help me decide which one to keep?????

Thanks

I own both (atmos 2 as a wrist mount) and an Oceanic (250 actually) in my console. I like the Atmos 2. Havn't had much of a chance to play with the Veo but it seems fine also.

Jay

If you want to get into nitrox, make sure you get the veo 100nx, unless Oceanic stopped selling the regular veo 100's. The veo's not a bad comp. I've played with them a bit.

I'm pretty sure that both computers are made by Pelagic Pressure Systems, a subsidiary of Oceanic, so you will find a lot of similarities between them.

One area that the different companies DO differ a lot is in the quality and cost of the download software and hardware. Look at the combined cost of both the computer and any additional software and cables you need to download data.

I recommend that you avoid computers that don't have nitrox capability. Many divers first buy an air-only computer, only to have to upgrade later to take full advantage of nitrox.

I dove with a Veo 100 until I went to Nitrox and then I updated to a Veo 250. I have found them both to be easy to use dependable and easy to read. I haven't used the download software since I log all my data manually into a log after my dives.

Skip buying a computer that isn't Nitrox compatable. You'l just wind up spending the money to upgrade later just like I did.

We've got Veo 100's (2x) and Atmos 2's (2x) in the family.

Offhand, the biggest difference I can think of is that the Veo shows water temperature; the Atmos doesn't. The screens are arranged differently; the Veo's screen I think is a little clearer (larger digits) and uncluttered. Otherwise, they operate identically.

The Veo 100 and Atmos 2 are fine if you don't need Nitrox right away... and much cheaper as you're maybe buying other equipment. All depends on your situation and budget.

Neither has any download capability; they keep an internal log of several past dives, and otherwise you have to enter data manually to your logbook.

Nor does either have an audible alarm.

Easy do-it-yourself battery change on both.

I suspect they've both been discontinued; if you can still find them, you may be able to get a good price.

--Marek

The Veo 180 is an easy to use, compact computer suitable for divers of all experience levels. Designed for diving with air or nitrox mixtures up to 50 percent, the Veo 180's extensive functions are accessed via one button at the base of the display.

The Veo 180 operates as an air or nitrox computer down to 330 feet and a depth gauge/bottom timer to 399 feet. It has large, easy to read alphanumeric displays and color coded graphs where green means "go," yellow means "caution" and red means "stop." There are a variety of user settable audible and visual alarms. The computer can be turned on before your dive, but if you forget, it turns itself on underwater. The batteries have a 300 hour lifetime and are user replaceable at any time without the loss of data.
The Veo 180 offers both time to fly and nitrogen offgasing countdowns. It automatically adjusts for altitude and for use in salt or fresh water. It displays temperature and time of day.

The Veo 180 has audible and/or visual alarms or displays for
High 02
High and maximum PO2
Safety stops
No decompression time remaining
O2 time remaining
Ascent rate
Oxygen loading
Nitrogen loading
Low battery
Also user settable:
Time of day in either 12 or 24 hour format
Metric or Imperial measurements
Dive mode display (four choices)

With the Veo 180 you'll never forget to make a safety stop and you won't have to guess where or how long to make it, the computer alerts you visually and audibly when you reach 15 feet and shows you when the safety stoptime is up.
The Veo 180 offers backlighting but lets you determine the length of time it stays on, from 0 to 7 seconds. It also lets you choose as many as four main and one alternate dive mode displays.
The number of dives stored in the Veo 180's memory depends upon the sampling rate frequency, which is user settable. Storage of as many as 150 dives is possible with a low frequency. An optional OceanLog PC Interface lets you download this data.
The Veo 180 is an easy to use, compact computer suitable for divers of all experience levels. Designed for diving with air or nitrox mixtures up to 50 percent, the Veo 180's extensive functions are accessed via one button at the base of the display.

The Veo 180 operates as an air or nitrox computer down to 330 feet and a depth gauge/bottom timer to 399 feet. It has large, easy to read alphanumeric displays and color coded graphs where green means "go," yellow means "caution" and red means "stop." There are a variety of user settable audible and visual alarms. The computer can be turned on before your dive, but if you forget, it turns itself on underwater. The batteries have a 300 hour lifetime and are user replaceable at any time without the loss of data.
The Veo 180 offers both time to fly and nitrogen offgasing countdowns. It automatically adjusts for altitude and for use in salt or fresh water. It displays temperature and time of day.

The Veo 180 has audible and/or visual alarms or displays for
High 02
High and maximum PO2
Safety stops
No decompression time remaining
O2 time remaining
Ascent rate
Oxygen loading
Nitrogen loading
Low battery
Also user settable:
Time of day in either 12 or 24 hour format
Metric or Imperial measurements
Dive mode display (four choices)
With the Veo 180 you'll never forget to make a safety stop and you won't have to guess where or how long to make it, the computer alerts you visually and audibly when you reach 15 feet and shows you when the safety stoptime is up.
The Veo 180 offers backlighting but lets you determine the length of time it stays on, from 0 to 7 seconds. It also lets you choose as many as four main and one alternate dive mode displays.
The number of dives stored in the Veo 180's memory depends upon the sampling rate frequency, which is user settable. Storage of as many as 150 dives is possible with a low frequency. PC optional OceanLog interface lets you download this data.
Computer, Wrist Boot

Aries
The Aeris Atmos 2 dive computer is a unique combination of technology, styling, and function. The Aeris Atmos 2 has all of the features you would expect from an advanced dive computer.. and then some.

Key Features:
Nitrox compatible
PC downloadable
Manual & water activation
Audible alarm with flashing LED
User-replaceable batteries
Settable Alarms
Backlight
It appears both have audible alarms and download capabilities now.

I am looking at the Aries Atmos 2 also so I have been comparision shopping.

I too own both the Atmos 2 & Oceanic 250. I pay close attention to the bar graph for Ni loading, especially if I'm on a trip for a week doing several dives a day. The Atmos is easier to read at a glance for my aging eyes, & IMHO has a better layout than the Oceanic.

Whoops! I appear to be nomenclature-challenged today. We have two air-only Atmos 1's, not Atmos 2's. Unlike the Atmos 1 (and the air-only Veo 100 -- not the 180!), the Atmos 2 is indeed a Nitrox computer with audible alarms and download capability.

Comparing the Veo 100 with the Atmos 2, like pjm460 was originally doing, is indeed apples and oranges. The Atmos 2 is much more capable.

--Marek

Back
Top Bottom