atom 2.0 transmitter problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baystr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am on a channel islands live aboard, and on my second dive, my transmitter fails, no biggie, I keep a back up spg on my console, but when I get to the surface, I change the battery, next dive, nada, check status on the atom, looks good, serial numbers are there, everything active, but once again "not available"

Any ideas before I take the Oceanic route?

BTW, one of my strobes flooded the same dive, it was not my best day..........

Any help is appreciated

I have the same DC and I've had some issues with the batteries as well. When I purchased mine, I bought a spare set of batteries for the transmitter and DC. The transmitter battery went out first and was very sportadic about reporting in.

So like you, I changed to the spare in my dive kit and had the same results. Went home later that day and bought brand new batteries for both, changed them out and haven't had any issues since then.

The only thing I can think of is that it took about 8 months to burn through the factory set of batteries and then changing to my spares meant that they were also 8 months old although unused. I rarely keep a spare set of batteries anymore as I have no idea if they are going to work or not. I keep a backup spg on a high pressure hose in case any of it dies and I deem it unsafe to dive.

So in summary it looks like the issue may be with the batteries sitting on the shelf too long and not being viable when you truly needed. So before any long trip, I buy all new batteries, write the date on them and then toss them out if they get beyond about 90 days of sitting around.

Thanks, I was wondering about that.........I will swap out some new ones and see what happens, I bet the repl batteries I had for the trans were pretty old!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom