Atomic Aquatics Split Fins. Are they so much better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dytis-sm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am considering a pair of Atomic Aquatics Split Fins but with spring straps these seems to go for close to $250. I have used these before and when I compared it to a pair of Cressis Pro Light which I own, or a pair of Jetfins that I tried on several occassions, they (Atomic Aquatics) are the most comfortable and efficient on long swims/dives. But those are the only three types I have used and wonder if the price gap between all three reflects in performance.

My Cressis have a lot of torque and feel similar to the Scubapro jetfins in that if you need lots of force (like to pull a tired diver, etc) you can achieve it. I also feel that the Cressis and the Jetfins gave me more control in turning with short movements (like a frog kick, etc). The Jetfins gave me more power than my Cressis and felt that I could move a lot faster when I wanted, but the were heavy and tired me over a long dive or surface swim. The Atomic splits feel more comfortable however on long surface swims and when I was am cruising on the bottom. I also notice that they do not move a lot of water stirring up sand or rocks if I accidentally kicked towards the bottom.

I am trying to get some input from the community. I know there is debate between split and non-split fins so that is not the question. What I am wondering is if the price jump on the Atomic fins is justifiable.

I bought a pair of their fancy smoke on the waters as my first set of scuba fins, and they worked as advertised: with a proper flutter kick, they generate a great deal of thrust relative to the ease with which you kick them. They can do a bit of frog kicking, but the back kick is not something I have been able to do in them. They're stiffer than a lot of other split fins and thus handle current reasonably well, but Jet Fins they are not. The spring straps were great and overall build quality seemed good, though I probably put fewer than 50 dives on them before hanging them up.

Overall, I regret spending $260+ on a pair of fins that just sits in a closet now because I don't care enough to swap between jets for dives I need them on and splits for dives they'd be nicer on. But they're very nice fins as far as split fins go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom