Atomic Armada-Bikini Atoll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
PLEASE HELP!
On July 25, 1946 the U.S. detonated the Baker atomic bomb, a 23-kiloton underwater blast, at Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands in the Pacific. 96 vessels (surface and submarine) were anchored in the atoll to test the effects of the atomic explosion. Many are of historic significance. Nine of the vessels sank shortly thereafter and many more were scuttled when they proved too difficult to decontaminate. They are still there today, rusting away all too quickly 200’ down in the warm Pacific waters. None have been adequately documented and soon it will be too late.
We’ve launched a Kickstarter crowdfunding project to document these vessels, which include the USS Saratoga, the HIJMS Nagato (Admiral Yamamoto’s flagship during Pearl Harbor), and the Prinz Eugen (which assisted the Bismarck in sinking the Hood in 1941). We plan on producing a documentary about these historic vessels with the completed footage, to be released in late 2014. All $25 contributors to the Kickstarter project will receive a copy of the completed documentary, with greater rewards for higher funding levels. Please consider funding this great project to record the current state and place in history of these majestic vessels, and please tell all of your friends about it too! The more people who know the greater the chance of getting funded.
The Kickstarter funding project will end in mid April, 2013 so please don’t delay! Thank you.

The Kickstarter page: The Atomic Armada - The Forgotten Wrecks of Bikini Atoll by Adrian Smith ? Kickstarter

Took a look because I've planned to take a week or two to dive Bikini in the near future for a while now, but I'm personally not interested in funding someone else's rebreather training and dive vacation in exchange for a DVD.

Include a tier for joining a charter to dive the wrecks (assuming proper training and experience) while you're out there filming, and I think you'd get more traction. Good luck in any event.

Looks pretty interesting. I'd definitely be interested in some sort of digital download. Watching a DVD means I have to stand up and fiddle with stuff and find a different remote and, wow I'm lazy. Good luck on your fundraising!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom