Atomic Cobalt dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just return from a weeks diving in Greece sadly to find that my atomic cobalt 2 dive computer has failed after approximalty only 100 dives, the dive computer does not turn on and despite me using the AC wall charger and also holding the left and right button to reset it, it still does not work, I'm devastated as i always took such great care of the unit and washed it very carefully after each dive and also used it within operating spec, I believe that it has slightly flooded as i can see small droplets of water inside the screen and it is slightly fogged, I have read online that a huge number of people are suffering problems like this, i payed a large sum for this dive computer and am really concerned that it is totally ruined and to no fault of my own, please can you let me know how i can send this to be repaired?

Laurens,

If any water has gotten into the Cobalt interior the electronics will not be repairable. Even if they could be brought back up, they would no longer be reliable. Your Cobalt sounds like a candidate for replacement.

You don’t say when or where you purchased the Cobalt or how old it is, but this would be a case for warranty replacement. I believe you will find Atomic to be extremely responsive for service and warranty. If you purchased the Cobalt through Atomic Europe that would be the place to go for warranty service. Kontaktieren Sie Atomic Aquatics A problem like this would not be prevented by good care, it’s a problem with a faulty seal.

There were case issues causing leaks with the Cobalt 1 a number of years ago, when the product was first introduced, those mostly involved water getting into the battery compartment. There was a problem with some high pressure seals that actually resulted in a recall, also early in the product life. Atomic has for some time tested each Cobalt 2 prior to shipping with at least 10 wet dives to 50m, and leaks in the Cobalt 2 have been rare. That’s not to say the Cobalt 2 has been trouble free- the first couple of months production suffered a great deal from a batch of depth sensors that were defective from the manufacturer and did not fail until after some period of use- so they got through factory testing and were sold. Cobalts were removed from production for several months until this issue was identified and solved. There were also issues with corrosion in the buttons, these have been definitively corrected. A great many changes were made to the design of the case internally nearly two years ago to go after any identified weak points.

While the earlier Cobalts had more problems than acceptable, I believe what you see with recent Cobalt production- in the last two years or so- is a company that is very open about any problems and very proactive about fixing them, and engages fully on forums like this, rather than a computer than has an unusual number of problems. No product is going to be without some issues, but Atomic has in my view- based on 35+ years in the field- been excellent in dealing with them.

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

-Ron

Ron

Could I get the instructions sent to me as well to remove the battery? jstanich7@gmail.com

My Cobalt 2 died at the end of my last dive while I was kicking back to the shore and now it is not turning back on. I only tried charging it with the wall charger, not the USB, but still no luck getting it to turn back on. I have tried holding back and select buttons for 11 seconds and no luck.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

How often should I plug my cobalt into a computer to update it? I am using a replacement cobalt, my original failed after 50 dives so they replaced it.i just put it on to charge after seeing this thread. It was 49%. My last dive was early August. I have a big trip coming up in November and hope it doesn't fail me again.

Ron

Could I get the instructions sent to me as well to remove the battery?

Before the screen went black yesterday, i could still turn on the Cobalt 1 and see that i have about 35% of battery power left. After i plug to charge overnight, the unit won't turn on any more.

I plug to charge again and a white blank screen came up for a few seconds and went black and nothing happen thereafter

eric_koh@asia.com

Ron

Could I get the instructions sent to me as well to remove the battery?

Before the screen went black yesterday, i could still turn on the Cobalt 1 and see that i have about 35% of battery power left. After i plug to charge overnight, the unit won't turn on any more.

I plug to charge again and a white blank screen came up for a few seconds and went black and nothing happen thereafter

eric_koh@asia.com
I will email you with some information- there are some things I would like you to try before pulling the battery, as that should not be necessary in the Cobalt 2. I'd also (as with all problems like this) like to know the serial # and also the firmware version when you experienced the problem. We have had a few instances of an issue with a specific backlight controller chip used in some early Cobalt 2's causing the display to go dark, though the Cobalt is working normally in other respects. If that is your issue we probably have a firmware fix for the chip that can fix the problem without any battery removal.

-Ron

Ron

Could I get the instructions sent to me as well to remove the battery? jstanich7@gmail.com

My Cobalt 2 died at the end of my last dive while I was kicking back to the shore and now it is not turning back on. I only tried charging it with the wall charger, not the USB, but still no luck getting it to turn back on. I have tried holding back and select buttons for 11 seconds and no luck.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

I'm also sending some instructions via email, things to try before removing the battery.

Ron

How often should I plug my cobalt into a computer to update it? I am using a replacement cobalt, my original failed after 50 dives so they replaced it.i just put it on to charge after seeing this thread. It was 49%. My last dive was early August. I have a big trip coming up in November and hope it doesn't fail me again.
A fully charged Cobalt 2 should easily go several months in sleep mode without running the battery down all the way, but the batteries will be best preserved by being kept at least 40-60% charged. I'd say to plan on connecting to a charging source every couple of months, and checking the computer- as you would other gear- in advance of a dive trip by a few weeks. Updating the firmware should be done when there is a new release, for that you would just have to check the Atomic website. The current Cobalt 2 firmware is 2.43.

Ron

Ron,
I have read the entire thread and it seems I need the instructions on how to replace the battery on Cobalt 1. Could you please send those to me at my email address? I leave Saturday morning for a trip to Mexico, and I don't have a computer to use. I have just over 24 hours.
ScottBurgessCPA@gmail.com

Back
Top Bottom