Atomic Cobalt dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron,

Can you please send the battery removal instructions to me (thernden@gmail.com)? I have a Cobalt 1 and made the mistake of plugging into the USB first. Thanks.

Tyler

Tyler, I sent instructions to your email. For others that do this with a Cobalt 1, the options are:
1) Connect to a PC/ Mac and complete a firmware update, even if it's the same version. That should generate a reset.
2) If you don't need the Cobalt right away, let the battery drain down again- should only take a few days, as the Cobalt is in a "standby" state, not sleep. Then connect the A/C adapter to charge the battery.
3) Pull out the battery and reconnect it to create a reset.

The Cobalt 2 has a manual reset function built in, so you only need to press the Back and Select buttons for 11 seconds or more to reset.

Ron

Tyler, I sent instructions to your email. For others that do this with a Cobalt 1, the options are:
1) Connect to a PC/ Mac and complete a firmware update, even if it's the same version. That should generate a reset.
2) If you don't need the Cobalt right away, let the battery drain down again- should only take a few days, as the Cobalt is in a "standby" state, not sleep. Then connect the A/C adapter to charge the battery.
3) Pull out the battery and reconnect it to create a reset.

The Cobalt 2 has a manual reset function built in, so you only need to press the Back and Select buttons for 11 seconds or more to reset.

Ron

Hello, I am having the same problem where my cobalt 2 won't reset. I plugged it into the USB side making sure it was the right side pressing back and select which didn't do anything. I tried the same without having it plugged in and that didn't work either. What do you advise next? I leave for Australia on Wednesday :D I also can't find my AC cord..

Hello, I am having the same problem where my cobalt 2 won't reset. I plugged it into the USB side making sure it was the right side pressing back and select which didn't do anything. I tried the same without having it plugged in and that didn't work either. What do you advise next? I leave for Australia on Wednesday :D I also can't find my AC cord..
With the Cobalt 2, when you have it plugged in to the USB adapter the reset sequence (pressing and holding Back and Select for at least 11 seconds) will send the Cobalt into boot mode waiting for a firmware update. The display will be turned off so it will appear to be dead. Pressing these same buttons for 11 seconds or more with the adapter removed should (assuming the battery is charged) restart the Cobalt, taking you to the set time & date screen. If that doesn't work you can always try 1) removing and resetting the battery to force a power restart- again, assuming the battery is charged; or 2) plugging in the Cobalt to a PC or Mac and following the procedure to update the firmware. If it shows up as BOOTLOADER on you computer's desktop it is in boot mode. I'll send you a link to the battery instructions in a message if you want to do it that way.
The need to use the A/C adapter to charge from a dead battery was mainly an issue for the Cobalt 1, with the Cobalt 2 you have the option of a manual reset using the keypad if the battery dies. The battery will be charging even if the computer doesn't seem to wake. You can use the standard USB cable to attach the Cobalt to any USB charger. The A/C adapter that came with the Cobalt will charge at a faster rate than the USB connection, but it's not a big deal if you don't have it.

-Ron

Reply and instructions sent to your email. Let me know if you have any problems.

Ron
Please send me the information on how to take the battery out at pillsforfun at gmail dot com (I'm a pharmacist in case you were wondering). Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom