Atomic Cobalt won’t go to menu screen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Atomic Cobalt is waking on the dive screen with the compass showing. Pushing the back arrow does nothing. How do I get it back to the menu screen?

Attachments

• AE969513-B953-403B-9030-F850DA8488D0.jpeg
    AE969513-B953-403B-9030-F850DA8488D0.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 117
Hi Michelle,
This sounds as if it might possibly be a problem with buttons. If so, it is easy to fix and Atomic can either send new buttons or take care of it for you through service/ warranty. But first, how old is your Cobalt, and is it a Cobalt 1 or 2? If you can give the serial number and firmware version that will help narrow down the issue. Some of the older Cobalts had button magnets that were not as well sealed as in the recent models. I will message you here on SB with instruction on how to check the keypad.

It is normal for the Cobalt to wake to the dive screen on contact with water, but just pressing the select button should put you back in the screen that you were in when the computer went to sleep. Is it possible something is shorting the pins under the Cobalt's nose, or that they are wet?

If you press the Select button again, does the set compass bearing dialog come up?

If this is a Cobalt 2, pressing the Select and Back buttons together for 11 seconds should reset the system (you will need to set the time and date if you do this). But if your back button is not functioning this won't work.

Updating firmware is always a good idea, but this deems most likely a button problem.

Ron

Thanks for the quick response Ron. I think you’re right that it’s a button issue. The other three buttons seem to work fine but the back button doesn’t appear to work at all.

It’s the Cobalt 1 and I’ve had it for 4 years. Is there a way to see the serial number and firmware version without going through the menu screen (since I can’t access it with the back button)?

Assuming it is the button, is it best to go through my dive shop at home or deal directly with Atomic?

Again, thanks so much for the help!!

Just saw your other message with the excellent instructions Ron. I’ll take a look at the buttons in the morning and let you know what I see.

With a Cobalt from that era my guess is strongly on the buttons being bad. If you contact Adan at the email address I gave you I'm guessing they will just send you a new keypad with much better sealed buttons. After you take the cover off you can use one of the other button magnets to activate the Back button just to confirm this is the issue. Let me know what you find.

Ron

Definitely a bad magnet in the back button Ron. It looks a little funny and I’m able to use one of the other magnets to activate the back functionality. I’ll get in touch with Adan to get a replacement keypad. Thanks so much for the troubleshooting help!

Back
Top Bottom